Prospect Info: Let's discuss the differences in defensemen drafted last year and this year.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
As you recall, people were a little concerned last year because the defenseman taken were a certain type of big-bodied defenseman who couldn't really move the puck with any degree of efficiency. Stanley was especially concerning because he looked like another attempt at fishing for a Chara clone, but Jacob Cederholm also raised some concerns that the org was identifying the wrong thing when it came to defensemen. This is obviously tempered somewhat by the Luke green pick, who is projected purely as an offensive defenseman.

Cut to this year, where there were quite a few people chirping after each defenseman drafted that because they were rather large size, they were a Hillier pick. Were they though? Reading some of the prospect profiles on these guys seem to put a bit more of an emphasis on skating, and actual scoring going just by box cars. It seems they avoided drafting a Stanley or Cederholm this draft, at least by my admittedly limited viewings on the new prospects. They do fit the Jets love of sharp risers, though.

Anyways, I'd love to know your thoughts regarding the drafted Dmen last year vs this year, if nothing else.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
My impression was all draftees for all teams just tended to be bigger this year in general. As I watched Every pick seemed to be 6.3 or taller. Kids just getting bigger these day?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Jets value size, skating and scoring in their D draftees. This year instead of compromising on any of those traits they compromised on age and quality of competition.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
As you recall, people were a little concerned last year because the defenseman taken were a certain type of big-bodied defenseman who couldn't really move the puck with any degree of efficiency. Stanley was especially concerning because he looked like another attempt at fishing for a Chara clone, but Jacob Cederholm also raised some concerns that the org was identifying the wrong thing when it came to defensemen. This is obviously tempered somewhat by the Luke green pick, who is projected purely as an offensive defenseman.

Cut to this year, where there were quite a few people chirping after each defenseman drafted that because they were rather large size, they were a Hillier pick. Were they though? Reading some of the prospect profiles on these guys seem to put a bit more of an emphasis on skating, and actual scoring going just by box cars. It seems they avoided drafting a Stanley or Cederholm this draft, at least by my admittedly limited viewings on the new prospects. They do fit the Jets love of sharp risers, though.

Anyways, I'd love to know your thoughts regarding the drafted Dmen last year vs this year, if nothing else.

I think they most certainly adjusted their model with regards to what they value in defensman.

They didn't deviate from liking the big dmen who could skate, but they most certainly placed much more emphasis on skill, puck movement and scoring rates. Every dmen picked scored at a good clip.

I'm pretty happy with how they adapted and altered their philosophy this season.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Very different than last year.

Hockey sense, puck skill, ability to see and move the puck, and mobility. Size is a secondary characteristic.

Stanley and Cederholm I'd say main characteristics were that they were big players who skated well for their size. They had good defensive play but poor puck management.

Green is unique as he's a less physical and refined Morrissey, IMO.

The four guys drafted this year all fit a specific mould, and one that I'd say only really Poolman fit prior. Trouba was too dynamic to fit in with this group.

While I am not saying all four are better at Stanley, I'm more nervous about him than the others. I view Stanley's upside being a better Chiarot. Chiarot is big and skates well for his size but that skating only really aides him in the defensive zone. Stanley has superior reach which may make him more effective at shutting down if all things work optimally.

These guys may not be elite Karlsson puck movers but they have the ability and understanding how to predict and direct play, using their size and skating to their advantage to gain control and transition the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad