Let's chat about Berglund

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
I'm interested to know, 15 games in, what everyone thinks about the play of Patty B.

Full disclosure, I like the Schwartz-Berglund-Tarasenko line and think they play well together. Berglund has been winning a bunch of puck battles this season and improved defensively in my eyes, where he was already competent. The production isn't where we'd all like it to be.

Give it to me unfiltered.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I think he's been good, but not great. He's playing hard, definitely good defensively, being physical, creating plays, but not shooting and finishing like he ought to be. Part of that is Patrik, himself, part of that is his role on his line, but part of that is the inconsistency of Schwartz and Tarasenko. Those guys are a breath of fresh air for the Blues, we all like to praise them, and they are more mature than their numerical age, but they are still not as consistent as the veterans on the team.
It's actually quite a credit to Berglund that he is the core conscience of that line night after night. He definitely learned how to be dependable while having to center Winchester and D'Agostini for entire seasons.

One oddity is that he looks like a different player on the powerplay. He's crisper with the puck and takes more dangerous shots. As much as I like hard-working, turnover-causing Berglund, I'd like to see confident, powerplay Berglund in the offensive zone more often.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I think it's safe to say he didn't turn out like everyone hoped he would. Having said that, I guess I have to re-adjust my expectations of him.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
He was always going to be Handzus, never the Sedins, even though fans here and the official Blues broadcast frequently pushed that. Berglund is Swedish, there was once a Swedish anomaly with very top draft picks who play in tandem, therefore you can extrapolate Berglund to that. It was always one of the worst bits of analysis ever on this board. He's a solid, competent defensive 3d line center on a good team. Nothing more.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I never expected him to be close to the Sedins, however, I thought a consistent 30-30 was a legit possibility.

Thallis

Progression is not linear
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
He was always going to be Handzus, never the Sedins, even though fans here and the official Blues broadcast frequently pushed that. Berglund is Swedish, there was once a Swedish anomaly with very top draft picks who play in tandem, therefore you can extrapolate Berglund to that. It was always one of the worst bits of analysis ever on this board. He's a solid, competent defensive 3d line center on a good team. Nothing more.

I think the hope was more for a Zetterberg than Sedins.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Dependable player who has greatly improved his consistency, compete level, and positional play. Unfortunately, "dependable" doesn't cut it in the playoffs and his overall game has plateaued. If he was a support player who put up mediocre regular season numbers for a 2C but but took his game to the next level in the post-season like a Dave Bolland I would be fine with his contributions. He also isn't good on face-offs and should never take a draw on his weak side. Ever. Would be a perfect 3rd line C as most have us concluded last season. He's not a bad player by any stretch but he's also far from an impact player in a huge role. Mike Richards vs. Patrik Berglund. There lies the biggest weakness on the team, IMO.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I think the hope was more for a Zetterberg than Sedins.

I'm specifically referring to the many times the Sedins were cited on this site and when Kelly and Pang put up graphics showing early career Sedin production next to early career Berglund production. I really never heard the Zetterberg comparison but the Sedin comparison was both common on message boards and specifically pushed by the team's television spokesmen.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I just wish he'd shoot more. He's got such a heavy shot, but he rarely uses it.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
I thought he had his best game of the year last night.

I think expectations and where a guy is drafted mean nothing, and to often people use that as a their barometer for a player. He had and has nothing to do with either, he didn't choose his draft position and I'm pretty sure he never filled out one scouting report.

We know for sure he's a big center-man capable of being a 50 to 55 point guy that plays a pretty good two-way game.

Will he take the next step and become a possible steady second liner, that puts up 60 to 65 points and plays a pretty good two-way game? He's only twenty-five so it's still a possibility, only time will tell.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
If he didn't always look like he was skating in sand next to tarasenko and Schwartz our assessment of his year so far would likely be different. Wanna see him taking more shots, but when he does they need to be on goal. He is probably the most likely of our team to miss high and wide. If he's not gonna score I wish he would at least provide rebound opportunities. Kinda feel opposite of a poster above I think he's holding back his line mates. They seem ready to break out.

I don't pretend to know the details of hockey like many of the members on here but that's what I see when I watch the games. Berglund a step behind the other two.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
I think he's been good, but not great. He's playing hard, definitely good defensively, being physical, creating plays, but not shooting and finishing like he ought to be. Part of that is Patrik, himself, part of that is his role on his line, but part of that is the inconsistency of Schwartz and Tarasenko. Those guys are a breath of fresh air for the Blues, we all like to praise them, and they are more mature than their numerical age, but they are still not as consistent as the veterans on the team.
It's actually quite a credit to Berglund that he is the core conscience of that line night after night. He definitely learned how to be dependable while having to center Winchester and D'Agostini for entire seasons.

One oddity is that he looks like a different player on the powerplay. He's crisper with the puck and takes more dangerous shots. As much as I like hard-working, turnover-causing Berglund, I'd like to see confident, powerplay Berglund in the offensive zone more often.

As weird as it sounds, he seems to use more ice on the PP. He finds space occasionally by the lower part of the circles, and he'd done a good job at moving into the high slot to outlet for whoever has the puck on the half wall. I'd like to see them run a PP play where he mirrors what Hartnell does for Philly (not the falling down part...) in that he provides a screen at the top of the crease but can shift higher into the slot and take one timers. He moves the puck better on the PP but doesn't shoot enough. Even strength, he's been great along the wall but he doesn't have too many touches in the middle of the ice and he's not great in transition.

Great point about his linemates. They are certainly not a liability defensively but I think we all would like to see some more finish from the second line.

I just wish he'd shoot more. He's got such a heavy shot, but he rarely uses it.

Agreed. He also seems to have pretty questionable accuracy. His release is pretty quick, but he seems so busy with board play at even strength that he rarely gets in good shooting positions.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
What direction would everyone like to see the team go with Berglund as he's in a contract year and set to become an RFA? Cap hit is 3.25mil currently.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
What direction would everyone like to see the team go with Berglund as he's in a contract year and set to become an RFA? Cap hit is 3.25mil currently.

Better question is what is his worth on the market. I could see him moved for an upgrade at center with sobotka or Lapierre moving to the third line.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
That's funny comparing Berglund the Sedins when you think about it, he is what he is and I would love to see him moved for a upgrade sooner or later to Center Schwartz/Tarasenko myself.

Last edited:

Thallis

Progression is not linear
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I'm specifically referring to the many times the Sedins were cited on this site and when Kelly and Pang put up graphics showing early career Sedin production next to early career Berglund production. I really never heard the Zetterberg comparison but the Sedin comparison was both common on message boards and specifically pushed by the team's television spokesmen.

IIRC, it was a number of Swedish forwards who took until their mid-twenties to start putting up huge numbers.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
That's funny comparing Berglund the Sedins when you think about it, he is what he is and I would love to see him moved for a upgrade sooner or later to Center Schwartz/Tarasenko myself.

I think if Sobotka were bigger he would be a perfect fit centering them with how well he has looked offensively this season. I wish we had Berglund's body with Sobotka's game.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I just think Hitchcock is the 8th Sutter brother...(don't forget Gary who stayed at the farm who was said to be the best). Bergie just doesn't fit our system. Sobotka does.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Berglund is a decent player, but he's not a #2C on a Cup Contender. Honestly, he's the most expendable player on the Blues atm imo. He doesn't do anything great. He does some things well, but there's nothing about his game that screams elite, not even his shot (His most positive attribute) is elite. Going into this season, I wasn't too keen on having Sobotka slotted into our #3C position. However, at this point, he's clearly capable of doing everything that Berglund can do, most of the time doing it better. The biggest issue I have with Berglund is that unless his back is to the net, he always looks super uncomfortable with the puck. It's like the guy just doesn't know how to stickhandle.

Finally, to everyone who's been trying to allude to that fact that Berglund will become like Steen in a couple of years b/c they are both Swedish, and it took Steen awhile to figure out his game, just stop. Steen plays this game with an abandon night in and night out that Berglund has barely scratched the surface of. Steen has played that way for years, basically ever since he got traded here. The only times Steen hasn't been that way are when he's been battling injuries, and even then he's still about 50% more effective then Berglund. We all joke about Angry Berglund showing up once every 20 games and dominating, and that should be enough to tell you about Berglund the hockey player. Could he get more consistent and unlock that magical Angry Berglund more often? Sure. But he has David Backes, TJ Oshie, and Steen as role models on this club. How hasn't it clicked after 5+ years of watching those guys and their motors and the success that comes with it.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
I think we'll qualify Berglund, and I think he's likely a 4 million dollar player if he became UFA.

Will we take a run at Statsny? With Colorado's early success, maybe they'll look at resigning him but they seem to have a logjam at center. Duchene, MacKinnon, Mitchell, Talbot. Statsny's cap hit has been pricey for the last few seasons, but what kind of salary will he be looking at in free agency? He makes 6.6 per at the moment.

I take your point Badger, that Berglund could be expendable, and would argue that he probably would have been moved a few seasons ago if he was a winger. But his position and his size give the Blues (any team) considerable size up the middle and formidable defending.

It's always tough swapping for the same positions, but in the Avs case, they have the personnel (in theory) to fill the hole if Statsny leaves. Is there a deal to be made with Berglund going to the Avs? We'd add a pick maybe.....not sure it would be too difficult to sign Statsny in the summer.

And then there's Grabovski....

I'm **** with the nuances of free agency so I'd love more insight if you guys don't mind. Should we move Berglund? Is there an upgrade available? Roy is likely gone, we have Lapierre under contract for next year. That leaves Backes, ?, Sobotka, and Lapierre up the middle.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
I think if Sobotka were bigger he would be a perfect fit centering them with how well he has looked offensively this season. I wish we had Berglund's body with Sobotka's game.

I agree!

Somehow I'm sure the technology is available to alter Sobotka's size and get this done on the fly & have no one notice this :naughty:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Hm, I've watched around 10 Blues' games this season, and come to a conclusion, that Berglund and creating are mutually exclusive things. Sobotka is a way more creative player.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008

Hmmm, I don't remember Berglund being compared to the Sedins. Mats Sundin frequently, but not the Sedins.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Hmmm, I don't remember Berglund being compared to the Sedins. Mats Sundin frequently, but not the Sedins.
Darren Pang has made that comparison with a graphic. But I don't think there was any wide-spread comparison and nothing from the Blues as an organization.

And anyway, what does it matter? He may be a late bloomer and still reach a higher ceiling. Or maybe he is what he is.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He was compared style wise to Sundin, but the announcers and countless people on here have used the Sedins as a reason to why Berglund will eventually breakout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->