Speculation: Lets assume the Wings pick 6th

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'm all for accumulating picks, but a good portion on this board want quality talent on the team, and the lower picks are borderline nhl players. I would atleast entertain the idea of packaging the vegas pick and our 2nd to move up to the late teens if possible and someone we like slips.
I definitely think that come draft time we should be looking to make a move like this. If a D like Smith or someone like Veleno is there at 15, we should be trying to move up and take them. Getting two top end pieces this year would be huge for our team. I'd love to emulate the Keller-Chychrun Arizona draft.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
What if the habs offered the 3rd pick for 6th and vegas 1st, should we bite on that one ?
It would take more than that to move from 6 to 3, so no. Besides, I'm cool with the selection they'll have at 6. Now if it was for Dahlin or Svech, that's a different conversation, but it's also more than I'd be willing to give up to climb that ladder for those players. So they can take the BPA at 6 (likely a defenseman) and then see who slides to consider moving up with their next pick.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If they want a scoring winger may as well keep the assets and draft Wahlstrom.

I'm sure Kenny is content with #6

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'm all for accumulating picks, but a good portion on this board want quality talent on the team, and the lower picks are borderline nhl players. I would atleast entertain the idea of packaging the vegas pick and our 2nd to move up to the late teens if possible and someone we like slips.

I don't, unless the guy happens to have a Liljegren or Chychrun type fall and it's Dobson or Wahlstrom or something like that. I mean, it's gotta be a complete cratering of a top 5 pick's value for me to consider that. I'd rather roll the dice on a guy like Merkley at the Vegas pick than trade up. We not only need quality, but we do need quantity of some good prospects. And 27 + 36 I don't think gets you to late teens.

If they covet Mantha what about Mantha + 6 for 3 if Svechnikov is on the board?

No. Oh, god no.

Take Wahlstrom and keep Mantha if you want a wing. I don't think Andrei Svechnikov is an Anthony Mantha better than Oliver Wahlstrom.

If they covet Mantha, I give them Mantha for 3. Or Mantha + one of the second round picks. That's not enough to move up, but while I'd love to land Andrei Svechnikov, I'm more than content to sit at #6 and pick the D we want. No matter how it goes, we will get one of Dobson, Boqvist, Hughes or Bouchard. Hell, depending on what Ottawa and Arizona do... we could literally have our pick from all of those guys. Ottawa goes Tkachuk and Arizona goes Wahlstrom, we can take our pick of those four. At the very worst, we have at least two of those available as defensemen.

If you're not set in stone on one player... the Wings are in one hell of a position to get a defenseman.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad