Injury Report: Letestu shut down for 6 months with myocarditis- a virus that attacks the heart

Klinger

I was saying Boourns
Aug 27, 2013
PEI
As if we all needed another example of why this season is cursed. Best of luck to him.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Myocarditis is general term describing infection and inflammation of the heart. To be off for 6 months seems pretty serious

Reactions: GNP

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
letestu_mark.jpg

Wishing Mark a speedy recovery!

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
This is the condition that Alexei Cherepanov apparently had. As you may remember, he died at age 19 of heart failure in the middle of a KHL game.

Scary, and glad that doctors detected this before Letestu put himself in serious danger. Here’s hoping for a full recovery.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Prairie Oyster

Feb 24, 2015
I had viral myocarditis a few years ago. Rushed to emergency and spent just under a week in a cardiology hospital bed.

3 months of 0 exercise. Going to the grocery store and back was draining. After 6 months unless it is severe (some end up needing heart transplants but this report makes it sound encouraging) can get to a more normal routine at the gym and he's lucky he'll have a lot of tools available to monitor himself that normal people won't have access to on a day to day basis for his recovery.

I was on 8 aspirin for a month or two, plus a pill to prevent the aspirin from eating up my stomach, as well as another med or two. It's a life altering event.

Letestu will deal with psychological fear of pushing his heart to the limits of pro athletics. And myocarditis can come back to those that have suffered from it. I completely understand if he rides his contact out on ltir and is then shuffled into a different non playing role on an NHL team.

One measurement they check in blood is Troponin levels. Normal range is somewhere around a "40", while heart attacks elevate into the hundreds, say 200-500. Mine was at a little over 1,300 when I was at the ER.

There's also the Ejection Fraction, which is what % of fluid is ejected with each contraction of the left ventricle of the heart. Normal is 55-70%. People with myocarditis that are severely damaged can be in the 10-30% range. This report makes it sound positive that he is still on the higher end and possibly still close to a normal EF.

Wish him and his family nothing but the best. This isn't a well known thing and his family will be learning a lot about it over the coming days.

Prairie Oyster

Feb 24, 2015
Thanks for enlightening us @Prairie Oyster

It's rare to see it mentioned outside of the small Myocarditis groups I am part of now, sadly manly are parents that discuss the children and young adults that passed away due to myocarditis.

I'm in my early 30s, played sports throughout my life. Carrying an extra 20lbs of fat but I've ran half and full marathons (not at a competitive pace, mind you) but I go to the gym minimum 3 times per week and have a job in the trades that keeps me active during the day. Don't smoke, don't do drugs, rarely consume alcohol. When I shared the news with my friends when I was in and recently out of the hospital, people think you have clogged up your arteries or had some poor habits, and so I had friends tell me I needed to take better care of myself. There isn't much you can do to prevent it, it's a freak thing, other than now when I am feeling even slightly unwell I won't engage in any stressful physical activity.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
This is the condition that Alexei Cherepanov apparently had. As you may remember, he died at age 19 of heart failure in the middle of a KHL game.

Scary, and glad that doctors detected this before Letestu put himself in serious danger. Here’s hoping for a full recovery.

I personally know someone that went through this some twenty years ago, guy was younger than Letestu at the time and almost didn't make it!

Hope all goes well for Letestu and he can resume his career somewhere in Europe.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Myocarditis is general term describing infection and inflammation of the heart. To be off for 6 months seems pretty serious
Was thinking the same thing. If it was just a mild one, 6 months seems excessive. That's a little troubling. In the worst case treatment-wise you can require a heart implant. Of course, the absolute worst case is having cardiac arrest, stroke etc. due to the infection.
I had viral myocarditis a few years ago. Rushed to emergency and spent just under a week in a cardiology hospital bed.

3 months of 0 exercise. Going to the grocery store and back was draining. After 6 months unless it is severe (some end up needing heart transplants but this report makes it sound encouraging) can get to a more normal routine at the gym and he's lucky he'll have a lot of tools available to monitor himself that normal people won't have access to on a day to day basis for his recovery.

I was on 8 aspirin for a month or two, plus a pill to prevent the aspirin from eating up my stomach, as well as another med or two. It's a life altering event.

Letestu will deal with psychological fear of pushing his heart to the limits of pro athletics. And myocarditis can come back to those that have suffered from it. I completely understand if he rides his contact out on ltir and is then shuffled into a different non playing role on an NHL team.

One measurement they check in blood is Troponin levels. Normal range is somewhere around a "40", while heart attacks elevate into the hundreds, say 200-500. Mine was at a little over 1,300 when I was at the ER.

There's also the Ejection Fraction, which is what % of fluid is ejected with each contraction of the left ventricle of the heart. Normal is 55-70%. People with myocarditis that are severely damaged can be in the 10-30% range. This report makes it sound positive that he is still on the higher end and possibly still close to a normal EF.

Wish him and his family nothing but the best. This isn't a well known thing and his family will be learning a lot about it over the coming days.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully it's not a very serious case here.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Interesting post you make here. From my recollection from reading a cardiology book while doing some research, the Ejection Fraction or Factor, refers to how much blood the heart pumps out of the lower left ventricle. I believe from memory -- normal is 5 litres per minute.

Irregardless of this --to have myocarditis at such a young age, probably signals the end to his career, and a lifetime of managing his heart health. Once that kind of thing starts happening -- enlarged heart etc. --it gets a little scary.

I wish the guy all the best in living a healthy, normal lifestyle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad