Letestu & next year's roster

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I don't know. Hell, I really like Letestu, and would like to see him resigned, but if the dead-line offer was right, I would probably pull the trigger on him.

Would really expect Howson to start negotiating with Letestu before the dead-line to get a feel for what he wants, and to get an idea whether he in fact wants to resign or wants to test the FA market.

We do have some solid young guys, like Jenner, in the pipe-line, and we do have a lot of picks in a strong draft class.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I hear a few trade comments, and I can't get my head around that.

Short of a 1# goalie, what would we want?

We have 3 first round picks to restock on forwards.
We have plenty of young defensemen.
We have 3 solid goaltending prospects.

It would take alot for this team to give up a potential 20-30 goal scorer, more than I think he would fetch. What we need is goal scoring, all the more reason to resign this guy imo.

More picks :naughty:

I think most of the trade comments are more based on what other teams could value and seek at the deadline. If Holland or someone calls Howson, he may as well at least listen. Of course I'd be more scared of Brass playing with Dats than Test Tube.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Letestu has done an admirable job since he's been in Columbus. Let's not forget that he's 28 years old and has only scored 30 NHL goals. He is not the type of player a team like the Jackets need to sign up long term.

Stockpiling 3rd liners is not going to help this organization.

Last edited:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

It would take alot for this team to give up a potential 20-30 goal scorer, more than I think he would fetch. What we need is goal scoring, all the more reason to resign this guy imo.

Long term I think the needs are:

1. #1 Goalie. Guy can be old/young doesn't matter we just need a #1. if it's a vet then have a young goalie to learn from him. But we need a goalie that can keep us competive. We're not likley to be a team scoring a ton of goals unless we get real lucky in the draft, so we need a guy who allows less than 2.5 goals in regulation.

2. I'm a big Defense guy so you have to hope that two of our young d-men can become top 4 guys. Moore looks like he is on his way and we hope Murray recovers and lives up to his potential. But let's be honest noone knows for sure - so you've got to keep developing all the young guys. You can fill in the other 4 d-men spots with other young guys, or vets. Solid d-men are much easier to acquire than scoring forwards - but we need two studs. IF Moore and Murray become top 4 d-men it would be great to still have JJ and company around but it would be nice to have 2 guys who could play 25 minutes a night, that could help on the PP and PK.

3. We're short (IMO) 3 skilled forwards. Guys than can consistely score 20 goals a year and throw in 30+ assists. These are the guys we likely need to acquire via the draft. Scoring wingers are so tough to acquire. if you have true playmakers in the top 6, then it opens it up for their linemates and allows those guys to live up to their potential.

The goalie can probably be fixed before next season.
The d-men will take a couple years (Moore maybe is only a year or two away)
The forwards may take 2-4 years. Winning the lottery would certainly help this year. But you need a couple more on top of that.

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006

Picks in next year's draft. Goalie. Younger forward prospect.

Have to start thinking about a realistic horizon for this team competing and then do math on ages of our current players and expiring contracts based on that timeline. For example, if a rebuild takes 3 years, figure Tyutin and Wiz are probably more marginal players at that point based on age. That means, we still may have a need a defenseman. That is one of the reason that having to choose between MacKinnon and Jones gives me fits. At the simplest level, we need offense. But a pairing of Jones and Murray potentially for the next 10-20 years could deliver the team a championship.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Have to start thinking about a realistic horizon for this team competing and then do math on ages of our current players and expiring contracts based on that timeline. For example, if a rebuild takes 3 years, figure Tyutin and Wiz are probably more marginal players at that point based on age. That means, we still may have a need a defenseman. That is one of the reason that having to choose between MacKinnon and Jones gives me fits. At the simplest level, we need offense. But a pairing of Jones and Murray potentially for the next 10-20 years could deliver the team a championship.

This is the key problem the Jackets have had since day 1. Always have tried to either get started or fix things too quickly. Never had any goal except trying to "win now". Trading of draft picks for guys like Sydor and other past their prime players has been disasterous.

Trading a guy like Tyutin or Wiz now (or at the deadline) for guys and picks that can help 3 years down the road makes sense to me.

Going back to the Nash trade I wanted prospects and picks. Although the results haven't been stellar so far, I think ultimately the return for Nash will pay off.

Hopefully JD's one brick at a time hopefully will be a step in the right direction.

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg

Theoretically, I agree with you. For me, there's no contest between MacKinnon and Jones. Yes, Tyutin and Wiz might be more marginal players, but they'll probably still be good enough for a third pairing. Others will under contract will be Johnson for sure, (who will be in his prime for a defensemen), and you have to assume Murray and Moore at least taking the other two spots. That leaves us with Murray, Moore, and Johnson on the top three spots, with Tyutin and Wiz still under contract, so if one of Erixon, G-buf, or Savard form into a top-4 dman, we'll still be solid on defense, and, depending on player development, gives us a very good top 4.

On offense we have...

Maybe Atkinson? Maybe JAM? Johan looks promising, but could end up like Brassard. I wouldn't go overboard on defense when our forward cupboards are bare.

As far as Letestu goes, I say keep him for another two years or so. I think if you put him with skill players, he'll produce. He can finish, which is why I think Dorsett suffers playing with skill players, and Letestu doesn't. If Voracek could just finish he might still be here.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
The thing I always notice about the Jackets is that the guy everyone starts noticing is in the last year of his deal, so then the Jackets overpay the guy and we're all asking how to unload the guy a year later. This has been a consistent feature of this franchise. Flash in the pan after flash in the pan.

Speaking of which, where did the Fire Howson thread go? The man still has to go. I am just amazed that this track record of failure continues.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
1)Don't forget, Jenner can play in the AHL next year so we don't need to rush him and have him start in the NHL.

2)If Letestu is the 13th forward then he won't sign with us imo. Here's part of article when he got traded to Columbus.

"He said he couldn’t be happier to have been traded to the worst team in the NHL. The Penguins are getting healthy and needed to clear some roster space. Letestu was traded in exchange for a fourth-round pick in 2012.

“Space had to be made somewhere,†Letestu said. “I’m excited that it was me. I’m coming to a place where I expect to do well and I’m going to play a lot more than I did."

Assuming that he actually meant it, I think he will sign with a team that will give him a spot in the top 12. If we start giving him more ice time, the chances of sticking with Columbus is good imo.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
1)Don't forget, Jenner can play in the AHL next year so we don't need to rush him and have him start in the NHL.

2)If Letestu is the 13th forward then he won't sign with us imo. Here's part of article when he got traded to Columbus.

"He said he couldn’t be happier to have been traded to the worst team in the NHL. The Penguins are getting healthy and needed to clear some roster space. Letestu was traded in exchange for a fourth-round pick in 2012.

“Space had to be made somewhere,†Letestu said. “I’m excited that it was me. I’m coming to a place where I expect to do well and I’m going to play a lot more than I did."

Assuming that he actually meant it, I think he will sign with a team that will give him a spot in the top 12. If we start giving him more ice time, the chances of sticking with Columbus is good imo.

Back in the OP when I said he'd be the 13th forward I was talking strictly in terms of how many the Jackets would have not their relative position. Your point is valid though. if he is playing more and continuing to contribute his chances of resigning are good.

On the flip side if we only add Jenner to this years group what really changes?

I think trades have to be made or some hard choices have to be made about Calvert & Letestu in order to provide some roster space to add some offense.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Totally agree on #1. jenner is not an elite scorer so no use in rushing him, let him play in the AHL for a year or two. We have plenty of 3rd line forwards.

If Letestu whould somehow get squeezed by the CBJ to the 13 forward spot it would be a glorious day for the CBJ.
However he has to look at the CBJ and say "I can play with anyone here". It's not like like Pittsburgh where he sees Crosby, Malkin, etc permanently blocking him.
Now likely a player like Letestu knows he won't get a long term contract but he can likely get a 2-3 year deal w the CBJ, and I doubt if there is many other teams that would give him more than that. Plus he's somewhat proven himself here. More than likely the CBJ knows he is a 3rd line forward, who can (when needed) play in the top 6.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
There is a lot of trash that can be dumped long before we get to Letestu, it would be foolish to let him go when there are so many better options to let go. I had mentioned in a tread, either this one or another, that the perception of his tool set is what holds him back more than his actions on the ice with the coaching staff. That would seem to follow with a lot of the fan base.

We can't believe that we might have gotten a productive player for almost nothing, probably a lot like another team felt when the got a Glencross from us.

Not saying this guys is going to have a 10 year all start career with us. But he can be productive for us for a few years. We aren't going to sign him "long term", so there really isn't a concern there.

Jenner isn't even a consideration at this point.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i don't mind keeping him, but i also subscribe to buy low, sell high...so as long as we would get something useful for him...i'm fine with it

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
He reminds me of Rich Peverley. A slightly undersized guy who is good in all situations, can play multiple positions, and has some offense to his game. The thing is, Peverley was being way over-used in Atlanta, and while he was good, he fits his role in Boston to a T. I would love to keep Letestu if we could put him in a secondary scoring role like Peverley is in, but I fear we may need to rely on him too much. If we get an offer that knocks our socks off for him, I'd take it. As far as re-signing him, I wouldn't give him anything more than $2.5 million for a couple years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad