Letestu & next year's roster

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So far this year Letestu has arguably been the Jackets best forward.

Next year the Jackets will have 12 forwards signed, assuming Joey & Jenner make the team and Calvert,Anisimov & CAM are resigned.

Is Letestu the 13th forward?

Or do you pass on Calvert? Assume Jenner and whatever forwards we draft aren't ready?

And if that is the 13 where does improvement come from?

Or do you let Letestu walk? Or assuming he is of average intelligence does he look for a better opportunity?

Hopefully there are some 2 for 1 trades made or buyouts executed.

All in all I see a glut of mediocrity for next year unless ???

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
For one you begin by removing Umberger, some how, some way. I cannot believe that JD will give any serious consideration to staring next season with this same level of minimal talent up front. Changes are going to be made. (I hope).

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Since the very early years we've always had the problem of signing 3rd/4th line forwards to multi year deals. I'd rather overpay for a short term deal than sign a guy to 3/4/5 year deals. So I agree it's an issue.
But like many other things they work themselves out. The guys that are not drastically overpaid (like RJ right now is pretty tough to trade) will have value at the deadline. Those grinding. hard-working forward somehow always are worth a draft pick for teams fighting for the playoffs.
So I agree with your point that we have too many average guys signed for too long, but we'll likley be able to move a body or two at the deadline I'm guessing.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Letestu isn't a fluke, he was good last year and I wasn't the only one saying so. I think you try to sign him sooner than later. If they guy puts up 15-20 goals this season, which is very possible, he's going to be heavily sought after.

I wouldn't call him the best forward on the roster this season. He lacks the strong 2 way game Anisimov has, and the physical game of Foligno. Mark is good, and would be a second liner on alot of teams in the league. I think we have to be prepared to pay him accordingly (2-3 million a year imo).

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
I think both Calvert and Letestu deserve spots on the team, honestly. They play too hard and actually do have a good level of skill for 3rd/4th liners not to make the team. I will be quite disappointed if Letestu isn't back next season.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I agree that he doesn't have the strongest physical game, but he certainly has a fairly strong two way game. He may not have the skill of AA, but he plays a strong game in all three zones.

He had some serious rust in the first couple of games, but this guy is showing why he had some success on the top line last year until Richards (or what it Arniel?) yanked him back.

I think his peak is dictated more by perception by the front office, in this case the coaching staff, than actual reality. He is no Rick Nash, but he can play top six minutes and be productive. While I think Richards trusts him and likes his game, I think he tends to think his toolbox is more appropriate for a 4th line energy guy.

At this moment in time he is our best all around forward. He is not the fastest, most skilled, best skater, but he plays the game the right way and has enough skill and skating to contribute greatly to this team. He is turning into that perfect 2/3rd line guy that can take on additional minutes in the event of injury.

Brassard and AA are more skilled and certainly at his best AA has a better all around game. But at this moment in time AA is not playing his best, not really even close. I am not sure Brassard has a better all around game. He is better on the PP and he certainly has more skill and vision, but he rarely puts it all together for more than 20 minutes in a single game.

He has a place on this team and his place on the depth chart should be in the top 7. The perception by some that he is a 4th liner is inaccurate. At the very list he should be playing 15 minutes a night and can play any role.

Last edited:

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Letestu is arguably the most underpaid player in the NHL right now ($625 K). Deals like the trade for Letestu are the kind that Howson excels at.

However, negotiating the next contract for Letestu are the kind of transactions that Howson seems to be terrible at.

I understand that Letestu needs to use his upcoming UFA status to cash in. He's a great utility player (can play anywhere in the lineup) but I'm not sure he fits into most teams' top 6. He's really good for a team like the Jackets this year where we don't really have a defined top 6.

As much as I like him, I wouldn't want to see anything longer than 2 years and anything higher than 2 million/year if a contract was extended. Even 2 million, although he's earned it, seems high to me considering the centers we will have under contract next year (Johansen, Brassard, MacKenzie, Jenner, likely Anisimov, etc) barring any big trades over the next few months.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
As much as I like him, I wouldn't want to see anything longer than 2 years and anything higher than 2 million/year if a contract was extended. Even 2 million, although he's earned it, seems high to me considering the centers we will have under contract next year (Johansen, Brassard, MacKenzie, Jenner, likely Anisimov, etc) barring any big trades over the next few months.

The difference is. Letestu > MacKenzie, and I like MacKenzie. Letestu can play wing easily enough, so that really isn't even a deterrent. Brassard hasn't shown he has the identity that Davidson is looking for, Letestu has.

I tend to think your terms are reasonable two years seems about right, I don't find 2 million a deterrent based on what is on this roster. He is one of the last guys I would move. To me he is the type of guy we are looking to keep. I would certainly make AA a priority over Letestu, I would put Letestu a priority over a lot of other players on this team.

Letestu is something we haven't had a lot on this team. True secondary scoring that can move up for a while in the event of injury or poor play. He can also play with role players and produce where other skill guys have failed in the same position.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Right with you, blah. Nice assessment of Letestu and his game, and how keeping him on the team should be handled.

Bijou, you're right about this scenario pointing up Howson's strengths and weaknesses.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Letestu is someone that you'd think they have to resign given JD's mantras and style. He fits right in.

Now the problem of the 2013 roster.... (per capgeek and not including this year)

Umberger 4 yrs @ 4.6 m
Dubi 2 yrs @ 4.2 m
Brass 1 yr @ 3.2 m (RFA)
Foligno 2 yrs @ 3.1 m
Prospal UFA
AA RFA
Dorse 2 yrs @ 1.6 m
Boll 1 yr @ 1 m
MacK 1 yr @ 1 m
Calvert RFA
CAM RFA
Gillies RFA
Letestu UFA
Joey 1 yrs @ ~ 2 m (RFA)
Boone 2 yrs @ .6 m (RFA)

Of this group would have to think that Letestu, CAM and AA are automatic resigns. Calvert likely is as well. Depending on who we draft, we may not have to worry about roster space for another year on forwards, at which point we have more space (Boll, MacK, Prospal needs to retire at some point, Brass). Having AA - Dubi - Letestu as a third line would be really killer I think in the long run.

Also have to consider that Umby and Brass have got to be trade bait at this point around the deadline. If the right price comes I would think both would be gone depending on management's belief in our younger guys (note neither of those two are really old).

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Letestu may offer the highest value of any Jacket at the trade deadline. I like him and would be fine if he's re-signed, however, he's in the last year of a cheap contract and is producing on an inept offensive team. Don't know how other GM's might view him but he's a top 9 player on most teams and offers some help on the PP.

Dont' get me wrong, I'm not asking to see him go but if we're focusing on a plan and want to build assets going foward, he may be one of the best assets. I would prefer to see others go before him but he could also be a tricky re-signing too.

Just something else to think about....

Ceff Jarter

Registered Duster
Aug 6, 2012
I've been high on Letestu all year. I think he is our best penalty killer and role player. My fear is that some other teams with need for secondary scoring show interest in him and we massively overpay him. But of the players that I have met he seems the most level headed and could probably handle increased expectations

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Letestu is something we haven't had a lot on this team. True secondary scoring that can move up for a while in the event of injury or poor play. He can also play with role players and produce where other skill guys have failed in the same position.

Not since Jason Williams imo.

If this guy was skating in Detroit with Datsyuk, he'd score 20-30 goals a year.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Letestu may offer the highest value of any Jacket at the trade deadline. I like him and would be fine if he's re-signed, however, he's in the last, year of a cheap contract and is producing on an inept offensive team. Don't know how other GM's might view him but he's a top 9 player on most teams and offers some help on the PP.

Dont' get me wrong, I'm not asking to see him go but if we're focusing on a plan and want to build assets going foward, he may be one of the best assets. I would prefer to see others go before him but he could also be a tricky re-signing too.

Just something else to think about....

True, it does warrant consideration if we could buy low and sell high on him.

Not saying we should, he is obviously a contributor on a team currently lacking in contributors, but we shouldn't dismiss it outright.

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
I'm even more depressed seeing that most of this garbage core of forwards is signed beyond this year.

I'd like to re-sign Test Tube, but with the rest of these guys signed, I'd be really tempted to trade him come the deadline if he has value. This is clearly a rebuild and next year we are clearly not going to be contending for the Cup. He's probably the most valuable piece we have on an expiring contract unless some brave soul decides Mason or Bobrovsky would be good depth for a Cup run or is willing to take someone on a long-term deal.

Bright side? We've got plenty of cap space to spend on only a couple roster spots, so we could certainly splurge for a genuine #1 goalie.

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
It's off-topic, but this acquisition would likely have to be made via trade.

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2013&team_id=-1&position_id=G&fa_type_id=2

Not exactly awe-inspiring.

Khudobin or Fasth would be real interesting to me. Doubt their respective teams let them out of their sites.

With Fasth playing the way he has Hiller might be available via trade from Anaheim. And, there's always Luongo. Maybe we could send Umberger back to Vancouver and complete the circle there.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Khudobin or Fasth would be real interesting to me. Doubt their respective teams let them out of their sites.

With Fasth playing the way he has Hiller might be available via trade from Anaheim. And, there's always Luongo. Maybe we could send Umberger back to Vancouver and complete the circle there.

Obligatory Umberger-Kessler comment. :laugh:

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I hear a few trade comments, and I can't get my head around that.

Short of a 1# goalie, what would we want?

We have 3 first round picks to restock on forwards.
We have plenty of young defensemen.
We have 3 solid goaltending prospects.

It would take alot for this team to give up a potential 20-30 goal scorer, more than I think he would fetch. What we need is goal scoring, all the more reason to resign this guy imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad