Letang vs Jones

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Letang. The only argument I can see for Jones is the Letang has Pittsburgh curse. When on the ice, Letang is top-5 D with Karlsson, Burns, Doughty and Hedman.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
In pure ability? I'm not sure Jones will ever surpass his ability - at least until he's washed up. I just don't see Jones as being dynamic enough or playing that style. Jones is damn good, and due to his age, contract and most importantly his health, I'd swap Letang for Jones... but that's saying more about my frustrations over Letang's health and looking to take advantage of Jones's contract then his individual ability - as there would be a noticeable downgrade.

Seth Jones not dynamic enough? Either you haven't watched Seth Jones lately or one of us doesn't know what that word means.

Last year he was unleashed. Jones is a major offensive weapon at evens now. He races the puck forward faster than most players can skate, and makes a mess of opposing defenses to the great benefit of his teammates. People will only notice his contribution once the PP points get added on, but that's how it goes with defensemen.

There's only a couple attributes of Letang's that Jones will have a hard time matching, and that's his incredible strength and his compact frame that allow him to get in the way of pucks and players more easily. Jones is lanky and not half as strong. His defensive mind is polished (way ahead of where Letang was at 22) but he's never going to be as good at getting in the way. Offensively though, and that's what I'm thinking of in terms of dynamism, the sky is the limit for Jones.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Letang is way better.

Sure, but that's probably excessive. Both are #1 dmen. Not like were comparing a #1 and a #4. And one is continually getting better while the other is watching his team win a cup without him because he's injured yet again. Not "hating" on Letang, but it's a fact that kinda sticks out.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I actually just read through the thread that this poll references. This poll doesn't really address the question of value that was posed. Letang is better now, yes, but probably not for long.

Which has more value in a trade? Would go with Jones in that poll.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
This is a trick question lol. If its 1 game of 100% healthy Letang vs Jones, Letang is better. If its 82 games of Jones, vs 60 days of Letang you're much closer to Jones being the "better" choice.

Unless we're talking about value and then Jones >> Letang. 7 years younger, stays healthier and makes ~2M less

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Seth Jones is quickly becoming very overrated on these boards. While I think that Letang is slightly overrated as well, this is him not close.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I actually just read through the thread that this poll references. This poll doesn't really address the question of value that was posed. Letang is better now, yes, but probably not for long.

Which has more value in a trade? Would go with Jones in that poll.

The original claim wasn't value, the original claim was "Jones was better than Letang".

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=135392723&postcount=21

Mr. Glass is still a great D but his days of being better then Jones are behind him.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=135392815&postcount=26

And easily Jones above Letang.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=135393251&postcount=35

i don't look at stats because I don't even follow what some of the weird **** means but I'm sure ifnyou look them up or find someone to interpret that stuff you will see Jones was better.

The last one was hilarious, it was basically "I didn't look at the stats and I don't know what they mean, but they'll say Jones was better".

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
The original claim wasn't value, the original claim was "Jones was better than Letang".

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=135392723&postcount=21

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=135392815&postcount=26

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=135393251&postcount=35

The last one was hilarious, it was basically "I didn't look at the stats and I don't know what they mean, but they'll say Jones was better".

Ah, I just assumed the poll was about the actual subject matter of a trade thread, not in response to a single poster's obviously incorrect claims. My bad.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Depends what were asking here..If it's who has more value I think Jones and Letang are pretty even considering Letang's injury concerns but a healthy Letang is a top 10 D in the league

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
"Hell make a thread saying your team adds Jones or Letang who do you want more and I'm sure Jones wins if you make sure no pens or CBJ fans vote."

My direct quote about the making of a poll. Seems like the people agree with me... I was saying value clearly when I said make a poll but looks like you couldnt do that knowing the outcome.

You're not being very honest with what your initial point was. Here's your direct quote with regards to Jones/Letang:

"#1 Jones 100% plays above Letang today, tomorrow, and the rest of their careers. Before last year you would have been right short term because he was still learning and coming into his own. Mr. Glass is still a great D but his days of being better then Jones are behind him."

You clearly -- twice -- stated that Jones is currently the better player. Not more value in a trade, but better player. That's what originally sparked the whole debate about who is the better player. Now you're trying to say you were talking about value even though it's there for everyone to see in that closed Letang to Columbus thread that you were arguing that Jones is a better player than Letang.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
I'd be worried about Letang if I were a Pens fan. Didn't he just have major reconstructive neck or back surgery???

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
You're not being very honest with what your initial point was. Here's your direct quote with regards to Jones/Letang:

"#1 Jones 100% plays above Letang today, tomorrow, and the rest of their careers. Before last year you would have been right short term because he was still learning and coming into his own. Mr. Glass is still a great D but his days of being better then Jones are behind him."

You clearly -- twice -- stated that Jones is currently the better player. Not more value in a trade, but better player. That's what originally sparked the whole debate about who is the better player. Now you're trying to say you were talking about value even though it's there for everyone to see in that closed Letang to Columbus thread that you were arguing that Jones is a better player than Letang.
When I said start a thread it was about trade value... I copy and paste the exact quote from the thread. Yes I said Jones is better but Insaid start a thread for Jones vs Letang who would you want on your team... that's the value. Then I specifically said Werenski trade value thread right after... I'm 100% accurate in saying my thread idea and comment was.about value... Nothing to do with me thinking Jones is better. Thus i didnt say make a thread about who is better today 1 game. I said who would you want for your team . What's his and Werenskis value vs Letang. Both guys would have more value...

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Please don't make threads in response to mikey's bizarre claims. That doesn't make this a better place. Consider the ignore button.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Please don't make threads in response to mikey's bizarre claims. That doesn't make this a better place. Consider the ignore button.
Don't be peanut butter and jealous about people enjoying discussing hockey with me. People like me and Subban get attacked because we actually have personality and if you don't act like everyone else you get attacked. Let us have personalities.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Don't be peanut butter and jealous about people enjoying discussing hockey with me. People like me and Subban get attacked because we actually have personality and if you don't act like everyone else you get attacked. Let us have personalities.

Subban gets attacked because he constantly seeks attention and validation, will do anything to get it. Seems you admit to doing the same?

Though I am jealous, I don't think anyone has replied to my last 10 posts. Is it time for me to make my debut into the world of baiting posters for attention?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Subban gets attacked because he constantly seeks attention and validation, will do anything to get it. Seems you admit to doing the same?

Though I am jealous, I don't think anyone has replied to my last 10 posts. Is it time for me to make my debut into the world of baiting posters for attention?
it's not baiting if you actually feel it. Some people just have opinions that are more discussable. How fun is it to agree with each other all day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad