Letang vs Jones

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
As requested by a Jackets fan, who's better between Letang and Jones? I know there was another defensemen ranking poll that had Letang at #8 and Jones at #17, but just ignore that.

Last edited by a moderator:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Right now if healthy I'd go with Letang, and I'd expect Jones to surpass him in ability in a year or two.

Jones is obviously more valuable and maybe even more valuable just for this year, because of the health factor.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Right now if healthy I'd go with Letang, and I'd expect Jones to surpass him in ability in a year or two.

Jones is obviously more valuable and maybe even more valuable just for this year, because of the health factor.

All of that is reasonably true... pens fans were saying it makes no sense for them to trade him to the Jackets cause right now his value is low because of injury but his total skill level is still very high... some took it as a slight.. thus the poll...

GingerJesus28

This is the way
Feb 25, 2015
Saskatchewan
right now? or future? or both?
Jones has a higher trade value i think due to Letangs recurring injuries
But Letang is better right now when he plays. Jones prob better in a few years.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Letang is better and will be for the foreseeable future. Letang is a top five defenseman RIGHT now. Offensively the only other who can lay claim to being better is Karlsson.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Letang in terms of who is better now for sure. Jones might have more value for health, she and contract but easily Letang for ability right now

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
I'll put it this way.

in a vacuum, if Letang gets traded tomorrow to the Jackets, he's playing 30 mins a night in the playoffs for them...

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
are the votes for Jones because people thought this was in terms of value or do they truly believe Jones > Letang?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Letan g at his current level should be better than homes at his absolute peak. Letan g is behind only Karlsson imo when fully healthy. Even if people don't agree with that I don't think it's indisputable that he's a top 10 defensemen. That is something jones will find hard to achieve.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Letang's winning the poll by quite a lot. Must be all those Penguins fans stuffing the ballot again. :sarcasm:

(The irony: a couple of Columbus fans voting under the neutral fan option).

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Letan g at his current level should be better than homes at his absolute peak. Letan g is behind only Karlsson imo when fully healthy. Even if people don't agree with that I don't think it's indisputable that he's a top 10 defensemen. That is something jones will find hard to achieve.

Jones is ahead of where Letang was at 22 (in all aspects) and has more raw ability than just about every D in the league. He was just voted well within the top 20 D on this very site.

I'll put it this way.

in a vacuum, if Letang gets traded tomorrow to the Jackets, he's playing 30 mins a night in the playoffs for them...

That or zero.

He's currently slightly better than the fast rising Jones, so I agree he could play that much. He's got the lungs for it.

blujax

Jun 5, 2008
How about we ask the OP to make another poll... who has more value:Werenski ++ or letang?:sarcasm:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

In pure ability? I'm not sure Jones will ever surpass his ability - at least until he's washed up. I just don't see Jones as being dynamic enough or playing that style. Jones is damn good, and due to his age, contract and most importantly his health, I'd swap Letang for Jones... but that's saying more about my frustrations over Letang's health and looking to take advantage of Jones's contract then his individual ability - as there would be a noticeable downgrade.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Letang's winning the poll by quite a lot. Must be all those Penguins fans stuffing the ballot again. :sarcasm:

(The irony: a couple of Columbus fans voting under the neutral fan option).

I only see 2 Pens who did the same thing. But then you knew it was going to happen.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
"Hell make a thread saying your team adds Jones or Letang who do you want more and I'm sure Jones wins if you make sure no pens or CBJ fans vote."

My direct quote about the making of a poll. Seems like the people agree with me... I was saying value clearly when I said make a poll but looks like you couldnt do that knowing the outcome.

Edit-I also said make another thread about value of Werenski vs Letang in terms of trade. I'm on mobile so it doesn't let me make polls and if it does I can't figure it out. But you can make a new thread and close this because it wasn't the argument anyways. Then You can make options to pick in order from LWJ, LJW, WLJ, WJL, JLW, JWL. You won't be able to stop pens and cbj fans from voting to have a fair poll unfortunately though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad