Injury Report: Letang had a stroke

dosvidaniya

Feb 4, 2014
Rossi on Final Word said they're waiting for Letang's doctors to decide they are not going to recommend surgery to repair the hole in his heart. While they run tests, he can resume practice, and if he gets the word that doctors are not pursuing surgery and he can handle practice with no issues, he can play. Stated this should happen in advance of the playoffs. Also said he spoke with Letang and Letang told him he'd regained all the weight he'd lost.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He's cleared to practice.

Ah, okay. Even so, this seems really soon.

Also, obviously it's not the case, but it seems weird from a non-medical person's perspective that a guy who had a stroke and who is out for "heart related" issues like Letang might miss less time than Bennett and his wrist.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Ah, okay. Even so, this seems really soon.

Also, obviously it's not the case, but it seems weird from a non-medical person's perspective that a guy who had a stroke and who is out for "heart related" issues like Letang might miss less time than Bennett and his wrist.

Yeah, this definitely seems weird, but I'm not an expert on this. Has a stroke, hole in his heart and back in practice before someone with a broken bone. IDK, though, who knows what will happen in practice and how long he'll just be in practice.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah, this definitely seems weird, but I'm not an expert on this. Has a stroke, hole in his heart and back in practice before someone with a broken bone. IDK, though, who knows what will happen in practice and how long he'll just be in practice.

It's the optics of it, you know?

It's like, if someone just randomly asks a bunch of people on the street who would be back to physical activity first, a guy who just had a stroke and has heart issues or a guy with a broken wrist, how many people would reply "dude who suffered a stroke"?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It's the optics of it, you know?

It's like, if someone just randomly asks a bunch of people on the street who would be back to physical activity first, a guy who just had a stroke and has heart issues or a guy with a broken wrist, how many people would reply "dude who suffered a stroke"?

I don't think anyone would. Letang's stroke also left him feeling the effects fairly recently, IIRC, he said he was still having bad days and it wasn't immediately treated. It's just odd, I mean, who wouldn't say at least his season was over? It's one of those things where it does not compute. But then again how many professional athletes in their mid twenties have a stroke? The whole thing has been like this.

There's this quote where he's like "Returning this season would be great," or something, and I kind of felt sorry for him because it's sadly optimistic and you just don't think it would happen. He's setting himself up for a disappointment, that's horrible. Well, now he's practicing. Maybe he doesn't progress past practicing, but it's still surprising. IDK, maybe our views of strokes are messed up, they probably are, but yeah, weird.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Looks like they chose to treat it with blood thinners.

I thought by the literature that was linked here from places like the Mayo Clinic that in cases like his the recommended action was surgery to repair the hole and then six weeks of recovery and he would be as normal as anyone else. It surprises me given what I read that they went another way. But I am sure he had the best doctors and they know what they are doing.

strandvag

Feb 14, 2014
Stockholm/San Diego

I thought by the literature that was linked here from places like the Mayo Clinic that in cases like his the recommended action was surgery to repair the hole and then six weeks of recovery and he would be as normal as anyone else. It surprises me given what I read that they went another way. But I am sure he had the best doctors and they know what they are doing.

When surgery is being considered after a stroke, your age, prior overall health, and current condition are major factors in the decision.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

Letang said that the doctors didn't think the hole is what caused the stroke. Considering that, and the fact that it seems like it hasn't complicated his life thus far, it would make sense he would choose to forgo the surgery.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
And what does this mean for the cap, especially if Vokoun is back soon as well?

I know that the cap gets tossed when the playoffs start but it could get a little dicey if they all miraculously return. Dupuis stays on IR though, so that will help. Maybe Pyatt goes away!

EDIT: For whatever reason this makes me dream of a Bennett/Sutter/Dupuis third line. That would never happen for a variety of reasons, but dream I shall.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
And what does this mean for the cap, especially if Vokoun is back soon as well?

It looks like one of Martin or Letang needs to stay on LTIR until the playoffs. If I did my math right (with Letang, Martin, Duper, Vokoun on LTIR) the pens have about 5.2 million in cap space). According to cap geek, Martin is not on LTIR, but he would have to be for Vokoun or Letang to be activated.

My guess is Letang and Vokoun will be activated and Martin put on LTIR as soon as they know the status of both players. That gives them about 200k in cap space assuming they don't send any players down (like Megna, Despres, Gibbons, etc.).

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It looks like one of Martin or Letang needs to stay on LTIR until the playoffs. If I did my math right (with Letang, Martin, Duper, Vokoun on LTIR) the pens have about 5.2 million in cap space). According to cap geek, Martin is not on LTIR, but he would have to be for Vokoun or Letang to be activated.

My guess is Letang and Vokoun will be activated and Martin put on LTIR as soon as they know the status of both players. That gives them about 200k in cap space assuming they don't send any players down (like Megna, Despres, Gibbons, etc.).

I think that Shero needs to play up his Daddy's Philly ties to get some advice on how to abuse the LTIR system.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
From a cap perspective, things will work out just fine. Martin's time frame was to be ready right around round 1 of the playoffs. It's not ideal, but most of us didn't expect Letang back. If all healthy, this team has a shot.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
From a cap perspective, things will work out just fine. Martin's time frame was to be ready right around round 1 of the playoffs. It's not ideal, but most of us didn't expect Letang back. If all healthy, this team has a shot.

On paper, yeah, we'd have a shot, but Bylsma won't scratch Adams and will STILL use him/Orpik/Scuderi to protect leads.

If that...

Kunitz - Crosby - Stempniak
Bennett/Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Bennett/Jokinen - Sutter - Megna
Glass/Pyatt - Goc - Vitale

Scuderi - Letang
Orpik - Martin
Maatta - Niskanen

was the lineup and if Bylsma would be smart enough to use guys properly and let go of the stupid stretch pass/insist on puck support than yeah, we'd have a shot.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA

Martin is a lot closer to returning than Letang or Vokoun, I would think. I'd guess Letang stays on LTIR until the playoffs and Martin plays in a week or so.

strandvag

Feb 14, 2014
Stockholm/San Diego
The factor here isn't that he is putting himself in a higher risk of getting another stroke when playing hockey. The factor is his permanent brain damage and how his brain will respond to playing a fast game with reaction time being a huge aspect

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Two stroke victims, Teddy Bruschi and Brian Mullen. Teddy came back and played four seasons. Brian tried to come back but suffered another seizure and retired. What will Letang's fate be??? And any doctor worth his salt will tell you I DON'T know!!!

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Fine, maybe 2 weeks...he was said out 4-6 weeks...2 weeks from now is 4 1/2 weeks. He's still a lot closer to returning than Letang, I would bet...and I'll be shocked if Vokoun returns at all.

And 4 weeks from now is the end of the regular season (6 weeks from surgery date). My point is that they don't have the cap space to activate both of Letang and Martin. Letang has been skating for a while and is back at practice. Assuming he gets clearance from the doctor, no one knows how long that will take, he can play.

At this point, it's anyone's guess who will be back first. I'd bet it's Letang.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
And 4 weeks from now is the end of the regular season (6 weeks from surgery date). My point is that they don't have the cap space to activate both of Letang and Martin. Letang has been skating for a while and is back at practice. Assuming he gets clearance from the doctor, no one knows how long that will take, he can play.

At this point, it's anyone's guess who will be back first. I'd bet it's Letang.

Sure, it's a guess...but Martin was stickhandling and shooting today and working out with Kadar...doesn't sound like someone who will be out another month.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad