Injury Report: Letang had a stroke

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
10) He was "lucky"- feels awful to write that, sorry, the symtoms mirrors where in the brain this is taking place. In another place it might get you paralyzed on the whole half of the body. Don't think he would have been able to return if that happened.

very informative, tx.

so why would a nurse not insist he get checked out right away when they find him on the floor. Isn't getting treatment right away something that *really* helps mitigate any possible permanent damage?

That part I just don't get. I mean normal people if you pass out and collapse on the floor and you're dizzy/not feeling right don't just go meh I'll just wait a day and see if it goes away...

strandvag

Feb 14, 2014
Stockholm/San Diego
very informative, tx.

so why would a nurse not insist he get checked out right away when they find him on the floor. Isn't getting treatment right away something that *really* helps mitigate any possible permanent damage?

That part I just don't get. I mean normal people if you pass out and collapse on the floor and you're dizzy/not feeling right don't just go meh I'll just wait a day and see if it goes away...

Yeah. I totally agree with you 100%. there is a huge time factor in this, I don't know what the nurse thought it was. A spontaneous "pass out" should ring a bell. I mean you check if the person is breathing; and make a judgement, A-B-C, blabla. But the person needs to be taken to a hospital in an ambulance or just throw the guy in the back seat and drive to the closest emergency room. A guy in his twenties don't get that adverse reactions if it isn't something wrong.

The first thing we do with those is send them to a CT-scan, a cerebral embolism can't be detected initially on a CT, but we can rule out any stroke because of an artery has ruptured and is bleeding. If we see no bleeding we start to inject blood thinners (if they are bleeding, you don't do blood thinners because that will really get it bleeding) without even knowing if there is a embolism. So important is the time factor.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
very informative, tx.

It doesn't sound like he "passed out" or "collapsed" and I'm sure stroke was pretty far from their minds.

Antaris

Totally Trustworthy
Dec 5, 2010
Sweden
Yeah. I totally agree with you 100%. there is a huge time factor in this, I don't know what the nurse thought it was. A spontaneous "pass out" should ring a bell. I mean you check if the person is breathing; and make a judgement, A-B-C, blabla. But the person needs to be taken to a hospital in an ambulance or just throw the guy in the back seat and drive to the closest emergency room. A guy in his twenties don't get that adverse reactions if it isn't something wrong.

The first thing we do with those is send them to a CT-scan, a cerebral embolism can't be detected initially on a CT, but we can rule out any stroke because of an artery has ruptured and is bleeding. If we see no bleeding we start to inject blood thinners (if they are bleeding, you don't do blood thinners because that will really get it bleeding) without even knowing if there is a embolism. So important is the time factor.

Well to be quite honest I can see that if there were no other "hard" symptomes other then the "found on the floor, confused" the thought would be drawn, especially for a young healthy person, more so go to vasovagal syncopation or the likes rather then a stroke. One could speculate that the thought of stroke should've been in the back of her mind, but there's a difference between nurses and nurses. These things are all speculations and it is impossible to really say whats what in this case. If there would be a PFO that could, theoretically, leave a say DVT traveling from veins in leg to enter the arterial system and the brain but perhaps that's what you said.

strandvag

Feb 14, 2014
Stockholm/San Diego
Well to be quite honest I can see that if there were no other "hard" symptomes other then the "found on the floor, confused" the thought would be drawn, especially for a young healthy person, more so go to vasovagal syncopation or the likes rather then a stroke. One could speculate that the thought of stroke should've been in the back of her mind, but there's a difference between nurses and nurses. These things are all speculations and it is impossible to really say whats what in this case. If there would be a PFO that could, theoretically, leave a say DVT traveling from veins in leg to enter the arterial system and the brain but perhaps that's what you said.

Yeah, you are right. Its easier to react when you have the facts in hand. I based everything on ;"I woke up and my wife found me on the ground" as "pass out" and "Letang was still alert but unable to function" as something adverse, now the function part isn't really specific so there was speculation from my part

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I didn't realise Letang's SO's maiden name was Laflamme. The coincidence is just too amazing.

In more serious news, good to see he's back active again. Apparently next week is the 6 week mark where the doctors make a call on his season.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
I never imagined that Letang returning this season was a possibility. In fact, being the pessimist that I am, I've been of the opinion that his career is in serious jeopardy. We're talking about a guy whose game already may be permanently stilted after a bad run of concussions. This stroke only added (major) insult to injury.

It would be great to see the kid return this season, and it would be extra nice if he came back as a better player than he's been lately. Best of luck, Kris!

swaggerjack

Mar 28, 2013
I'm not well versed on the situation and cap like some of you are, but is their a possibility of a buyout if he isn't cleared to play the 14-15 season? Or would we just not have him on the books for that season and go from there?

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm not well versed on the situation and cap like some of you are, but is their a possibility of a buyout if he isn't cleared to play the 14-15 season? Or would we just not have him on the books for that season and go from there?

You can't buyout an injured player. On the other hand, if a player is out for an entire season due to an injury, the team can put them on LTIR, same as the Pens did this year with Vokoun, or the Flyers have done for the past several years with (at various times) Pronger, Hatcher and Rathje.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
You can't buyout an injured player. On the other hand, if a player is out for an entire season due to an injury, the team can put them on LTIR, same as the Pens did this year with Vokoun, or the Flyers have done for the past several years with (at various times) Pronger, Hatcher and Rathje.

Does a year on LTIR count as a year against your contract?

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
Does a year on LTIR count as a year against your contract?

Yes, being injured doesn't "halt" your contract.

To answer other post about buyout: He would have to be healthy status. Since this is a unique injury, he could "rush" himself back and front like he's fine to get medical clearance, then just be scratched every game. Doesn't have to play/risk more injury if he truly doesn't feel ready, but is healthy status for a buyout.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Yes, being injured doesn't "halt" your contract.

To answer other post about buyout: He would have to be healthy status. Since this is a unique injury, he could "rush" himself back and front like he's fine to get medical clearance, then just be scratched every game. Doesn't have to play/risk more injury if he truly doesn't feel ready, but is healthy status for a buyout.

Letang will never be bought out by the pens. Just too much money. He will either play or retire, could be traded if he plays well, but no way will the Pens pay about $40MM to buy him out. The Pens don't have the tv revenue like the flys and rags to do so.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Regardless, nobody would ever buy someone out before his contract even kicked in and he's coming off of an injury that nobody knows how it will affect or not affect his game. I mean, maybe in a few years or something if he's not the same player, but there's literally zero chance of that happening soon.

It's a waiting game at this point with Letang, no sense putting much in to it other than hoping he can come back and play at a normal level.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Without getting any hate for this...

I wonder if he comes back and is less worried about nitpicking on his own game and starts to play a better game and is healthy from here on out.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I really hope that Bennett is back for the Dallas game.

I hope Letang is too but I hope he takes longer to come back and doesn't rush himself.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It just seems weird Letang's cleared to play already. I figured he'd be gone for at least the rest of the regular season, possibly even the playoffs.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Letang better hope the pen's doctors and the other medical experts know what they are doing!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->