Letang for Norris?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Hm. That’s weird because Karlsson won his first Norris in his third year.

Which was his first year of playing at an elite level, just as this is Chabot's first year playing at an elite level. The point being that, while it's unlikely a player with no Norris support in previous years would win, it's not unheard of

As for the plus-minus, the last one would be Lidstrom's last one in 2011, then before that Rob Blake in '98. It's also rare, though I think voters are moving away from plus-minus as the consensus seems to be that it has a lot of problems

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
...which was his first year of playing at an elite level, just as this is Chabot's first year playing at an elite level. The point being that, while it's unlikely a player with no Norris support in previous years would win, it's not unheard of

Chabot is not winning a Norris.

Karlsson was what 25 points ahead of the next defenseman in 11-12?

Chabot isn’t even the top scoring D and it isn’t like Reilly is playing with studs.

Noisia

Oct 30, 2018
Going to be interesting this year, imo.
Lots of players in the mix.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Yet Gio is a better dman than all of the above and is only a few points behind Reilly. And he is 35 years old

Giordano is great and obviously a real candidate this year. So is Letang. Amazing comeback season from him. Gotta admit I was losing hope last season.

Reactions: guzzy

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
I realize he started slow but I wouldn't rule out Karlsson, although voters probably already did because reasons. Karlsson last 20 games or so is the best defenceman in the game.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Doesn’t play out east.

He and Giordano are being hilariously snubbed in a lot of these.

Rielly has 11 less points than the top scorer on his team, and the same amount as Burns. He is involved in 52.38% of the Leafs goals that are scored while he is on the ice.

Letang has 15 less points than the top place scorer on his team, and 8 less than Burns. He is involved in 48.65% of the Penguins goals that are scored while he is on the ice.

Chabot has 7 less points than Ottawa’s top scorer, and 6 less than Burns. He is involved in 52.05% of the Senators goals that are scored while he is on the ice.

Meanwhile, Brent Burns is the top scorer on his team, and has 3 points more than the second place. He is involved in 64.71% of the Sharks goals that are scored while he is on the ice.

Rielly is the only one who is at Burns’ level offensively, and that will be no more the case when his oiSH% of 13.43% inevitably regresses to the mean. Speaking of regression to the mean, Burns’ individual shooting percentage is 2.2% lower than his career average. Once these numbers even out, Burns will be well I’m okay with giving Rielly a nod right now just because his production is too stellar to ignore, but his shot suppression metrics are some of the worst in the league, and his goal suppression metrics are also quite poor despite a .928 oiSV% at 5-on-5.

Offensively, Giordano is closer to the rest of the bunch than he is to Burns, but what gets him in is that he actually plays stellar defense as well. Letang’s defensive metrics are very strong as well, so I could see some merit in nominating him for sure. But anybody who ignores Burns or Giordano entirely is way off base.

I realize he started slow but I wouldn't rule out Karlsson, although voters probably already did because reasons. Karlsson last 20 games or so is the best defenceman in the game.

Perfect example of how Burns is being totally snubbed. I love Erik Karlsson, and I think he’s been amazing, but Burns has eleven more points than Karlsson does.

Can you imagine if the roles were reversed here, and Burns had 11 fewer points than Erik Karlsson? There would be not a peep of Burns’ name in this thread.

Reactions: Gaudfather

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Guys in the East don't deserve to win the Norris because of the game they play. If anyone it is Gio right now.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Giordano is great and obviously a real candidate this year. So is Letang. Amazing comeback season from him. Gotta admit I was losing hope last season.
Letang is playing better defence than I ever expected to see from him. I am glad to see it, I have always liked him

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
He and Giordano are being hilariously snubbed in a lot of these.

Rielly has 11 less points than the top scorer on his team, and the same amount as Burns. He is involved in 52.38% of the Leafs goals that are scored while he is on the ice.

Letang has 15 less points than the top place scorer on his team, and 8 less than Burns. He is involved in 48.65% of the Penguins goals that are scored while he is on the ice.

Chabot has 7 less points than Ottawa’s top scorer, and 6 less than Burns. He is involved in 52.05% of the Senators goals that are scored while he is on the ice.

Meanwhile, Brent Burns is the top scorer on his team, and has 3 points more than the second place. He is involved in 64.71% of the Sharks goals that are scored while he is on the ice.

Rielly is the only one who is at Burns’ level offensively, and that will be no more the case when his oiSH% of 13.43% inevitably regresses to the mean. Speaking of regression to the mean, Burns’ individual shooting percentage is 2.2% lower than his career average. Once these numbers even out, Burns will be well I’m okay with giving Rielly a nod right now just because his production is too stellar to ignore, but his shot suppression metrics are some of the worst in the league, and his goal suppression metrics are also quite poor despite a .928 oiSV% at 5-on-5.

Offensively, Giordano is closer to the rest of the bunch than he is to Burns, but what gets him in is that he actually plays stellar defense as well. Letang’s defensive metrics are very strong as well, so I could see some merit in nominating him for sure. But anybody who ignores Burns or Giordano entirely is way off base.

Perfect example of how Burns is being totally snubbed. I love Erik Karlsson, and I think he’s been amazing, but Burns has eleven more points than Karlsson does.

Can you imagine if the roles were reversed here, and Burns had 11 fewer points than Erik Karlsson? There would be not a peep of Burns’ name in this thread.
You dont think quality of teammates effects their place in team scoring? Best player on the team Sidney Crosby vs. Logan Couture?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He's a great defenseman, pretty underrated, as far as opinions around the league go. He has been the Penguins fans' whipping boy for stretches of time, (Recently it's Maatta though) but he's playing as good, or better, than he's ever played before.

That being said, it's hard to see him staying healthy all year long, but if he can do it, I think he'll be in for a VERY good season.
Did you ignore him being relatively healthy last year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->