Letang for Norris?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think he'll be hurt by the Pens record unless they turn it around. The Norris seems to be more narrative driven than the other awards and Letang doesn't seem to fit that bill really. While he's had high finishes before I don't get the sense that he has the "he's due" aspect in his favour. Should they keep it up my bet would be Rielly or Gio. If the Leafs end up with a huge season, I think Rielly taking a step will get a lot of the praise, and likewise for Giordano if Calgary keeps it up and ends up finally putting it together and winning the Pacific.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I can’t see them giving it to McDonagh given he plays on a team with Hedman.

I think top three is like Gio/Carlson, Reilly and Letang. Letang has finished top five a few times. I could easily see them giving it this year.
McDonagh has ALL the hype this year. His analytics aren't great but he's been given very tough minutes, matchups, and zone starts. Norris is all about hype and he's got it

Reactions: Machinehead

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
HF told me Letang sucks and that he is a moron who doesn't know how to play defense, so he has no chance. HF dictates who wins what.

I mean i've seen penguin fans criticize his hockey IQ and decision making a lot too. he does make dumb decisions here and there but he's a pretty good defenseman.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Letang definitely has to be up there, but is currently 9 points behind the leader in d-man scoring. Carlson is 2 points back of the scoring lead, with 2 games less played. If he finished first in d-man scoring for the second straight year, he probably wins it (regardless of the fact that he's not actually the top d-man in the league, just the way the voting works with the norris).

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Gio is playing way better than Letang. Reilly will likely win because of east coast media influence and percentage of votes. Gio is the best two way dman compared to the top 5 or 6 scoring dmen.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
LOL, in no way shape or form should Letang win a Norris. Bye.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
The lamest excuse used all the time by West Coast folks when they don't win every award.
Theodore over Iggy ring a bell? Yet Iggy was voted number one by his peers. Yep, excuse by west coast folks. 80% of the votes come from the east.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
I mean i've seen penguin fans criticize his hockey IQ and decision making a lot too. he does make dumb decisions here and there but he's a pretty good defenseman.
Thing is, no player is perfect. Whenever I read through a GDT, I'm shocked by how badly fans criticize players. You would think no player is good lol.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I think Letang likely wins a Norris in either 2013 or 2016 if he stays healthy. Wonder if they give him this one given the field is diluted and the younger players haven’t “earned it.”

huh? 2013 I could see but 2016? that's the season Karlsson was top 5 in scoring and the first defenseman to lead the league in assists since Bobby Orr and he didn't even win how would a Letang with 11 more games played win it?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Letang definitely has to be up there, but is currently 9 points behind the leader in d-man scoring. Carlson is 2 points back of the scoring lead, with 2 games less played. If he finished first in d-man scoring for the second straight year, he probably wins it (regardless of the fact that he's not actually the top d-man in the league, just the way the voting works with the norris).
This is a good point. If Carlson leads the league two years in a row, it'll be his "turn"

Reactions: filinski77

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Should be the leader imo.

Carrying that awful Dcore byhimself. Playing absurd tough mins.

May be his best year, Been the Pens MVP.

If He goes down, then the season is more done than if Sid or Malkin go down.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
There are a lot of d-men playing great right now. It'd be very hard for a d-man on an underperforming team to win the Norris. Letang would have to play so well that he overshadowed the d-men from winning teams.

With all the up and coming teams in the league this year, I just don't see Letang taking the Norris.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad