Letang for Norris?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Is this the year Letang finally jumps out of finishing third of fourth for the Norris?

I assume his main competition for it will be Reilly and Carlson if the performances continue all season.

I also assume it isn’t “Reilly’s time” even though I personally would have him as my leader.

Curious what others opinions are.

For reference Letang is currently 7th in points and PPG.

Letang has played the third most minutes of any skater in the league this season.

Of the top 10 players of TOI Letang ranks:
2nd in +/-
2nd in points
1st in goals
1st in Corsi For %
1st in shot differential
1st in Goals For %
1st in Scoring Chances For %

I think Letang likely wins a Norris in either 2013 or 2016 if he stays healthy. Wonder if they give him this one given the field is diluted and the younger players haven’t “earned it.”

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
He's a great defenseman, pretty underrated, as far as opinions around the league go. He has been the Penguins fans' whipping boy for stretches of time, (Recently it's Maatta though) but he's playing as good, or better, than he's ever played before.

That being said, it's hard to see him staying healthy all year long, but if he can do it, I think he'll be in for a VERY good season.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He's a great defenseman, pretty underrated, as far as opinions around the league go. He has been the Penguins fans' whipping boy for stretches of time, (Recently it's Maatta though) but he's playing as good, or better, than he's ever played before.

That being said, it's hard to see him staying healthy all year long, but if he can do it, I think he'll be in for a VERY good season.

Yeah, I probably jinxed it.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
This thread is fantastic.

Letang is having a spectacular season, dominating both offensively and defensively. Almost single-handedly carrying the Penguins' horrible defence corps. Driving offence like crazy while producing at a solid clip as well.

And meanwhile Caps fans who seriously believe that John Carlson is better are just replying LOL letang sucks can't defend.

The narrative isn't in his favour this year. The Norris is decided in November and McDonagh and maybe Giordano already have it. But Letang absolutely deserves serious consideration.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
This thread is fantastic.

Letang is having a spectacular season, dominating both offensively and defensively. Almost single-handedly carrying the Penguins' horrible defence corps. Driving offence like crazy while producing at a solid clip as well.

And meanwhile Caps fans who seriously believe that John Carlson is better are just replying LOL letang sucks can't defend.

The narrative isn't in his favour this year. The Norris is decided in November and McDonagh and maybe Giordano already have it. But Letang absolutely deserves serious consideration.

I can’t see them giving it to McDonagh given he plays on a team with Hedman.

I think top three is like Gio/Carlson, Reilly and Letang. Letang has finished top five a few times. I could easily see them giving it this year.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Pens would need to have a pretty big turnaround for him to get serious consideration. Hard to give the Norris to a defenseman on a non-playoff team that has Crosby/Malkin on it. There are just many more reasonable options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad