Let the Players have the money

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
Ok everyone, Lets invite all the NHL players to the Yankee stadium infield where all the Salerie money has been piled up, right in the middle of the playing field and lets see just who gets how much. I vote for a winner take all system. Everyone fights for every last dime until only one player is left standing and he gets it all. That's right pay one player everything. 1.2 Billion per year to be all players on the ice at the same time. Humm Wait ! he might have to hire some support players because he can't do it all. So now he has to negotiate with all these greedy support players untill not only has he spent all the 1.2 Billion but now he has to give up some of his own money to the tune of 200 million per year. He would be the only man ever to declair bankruptcy with an income of 1.2 Billion.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
RLC said:
Ok everyone, Lets invite all the NHL players to the Yankee stadium infield where all the Salerie money has been piled up, right in the middle of the playing field and lets see just who gets how much. I vote for a winner take all system. Everyone fights for every last dime until only one player is left standing and he gets it all. That's right pay one player everything. 1.2 Billion per year to be all players on the ice at the same time. Humm Wait ! he might have to hire some support players because he can't do it all. So now he has to negotiate with all these greedy support players untill not only has he spent all the 1.2 Billion but now he has to give up some of his own money to the tune of 200 million per year. He would be the only man ever to declair bankruptcy with an income of 1.2 Billion.

I have a real problem with people that characterize all NHL players as greedy. I suggest you take a look here in Vancouver, our players and management are busting their butts to make sure that ALL the Canucks commitments to their charities are met. Including 4 charity hockey games throughout the province, which the players are paying their own way and providing the equipment and jerseys. So when you start shooting your mouth off about greedy players I suggest to contact the Administrator of Canucks place who receive 1/3 of their total budget from the Canucks, and explain to her about the greedy players and how self centered they are. You will get the ultimate rude surprise. Our players spend a lot of time with kids that have "life limiting diseases" another words they are dying. Oh and it is not just for the cameras, these guys can be seen there at all times of the day and night when they are in town. Oh and for those of you who say well it is a committment to the team, how come they are attending these events during the lockout.

http://forum.canucks.com/viewtopic.php?t=40857&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=5865

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
vanlady said:
I have a real problem with people that characterize all NHL players as greedy. I suggest you take a look here in Vancouver, our players and management are busting their butts to make sure that ALL the Canucks commitments to their charities are met. Including 4 charity hockey games throughout the province, which the players are paying their own way and providing the equipment and jerseys. So when you start shooting your mouth off about greedy players I suggest to contact the Administrator of Canucks place who receive 1/3 of their total budget from the Canucks, and explain to her about the greedy players and how self centered they are. You will get the ultimate rude surprise. Our players spend a lot of time with kids that have "life limiting diseases" another words they are dying. Oh and it is not just for the cameras, these guys can be seen there at all times of the day and night when they are in town. Oh and for those of you who say well it is a committment to the team, how come they are attending these events during the lockout.

http://forum.canucks.com/viewtopic.php?t=40857&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=5865

No offence Vanlady, but there are lot's of other people around who volunteer large amounts of their time and energy helping others, and I'm guessing that most earn a fraction of what these atheletes do. I think you should think a little more about things before you comment, because it's clear what posters are complaining about when they talk about "greedy players". Don't bother taking it in directions it was never meant to go.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
quat said:
No offence Vanlady, but there are lot's of other people around who volunteer large amounts of their time and energy helping others, and I'm guessing that most earn a fraction of what these atheletes do. I think you should think a little more about things before you comment, because it's clear what posters are complaining about when they talk about "greedy players". Don't bother taking it in directions it was never meant to go.

What I have a problem with is the generalization. Not all players in the NHL are greedy. There is a reason Trevor Linden was given the Govenor Generals Humanitarian Award this year. Oh and you might be surprised to learn just how much money players donate to charities in your community. If they are so greedy would they do that??? Before you say it is only in NHL cities, I suggest you go to your local hockey rink and ask if they have ever received any money from the NHLPA Goals and Dreams fund. Labeling players as greedy is a character assasination of a whole group of people.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
A great many players work hard for charity. But a great many also have to be forced into it by management. Much of the work done by Canucks is *required* by Burke and now Nonis.

Why are they doing it now? Some want to. Some others probably have been told by the PA to get out there, since the public relations is kicking the players in the ass.

And as mentioned, lots of folks donate time and money to charity.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
PecaFan said:
A great many players work hard for charity. But a great many also have to be forced into it by management. Much of the work done by Canucks is *required* by Burke and now Nonis.

Why are they doing it now? Some want to. Some others probably have been told by the PA to get out there, since the public relations is kicking the players in the ass.

And as mentioned, lots of folks donate time and money to charity.

The problem with your theory is the fact that many of these players have been maintaining there charity work and donations since the season ended. That is not part of their job, that is because they actually care.

Oh and I do realize people volunteer their time, I do, more than I should. Do you? Maybe why I defend these guys so much, because I have had the opportunity to meet a few?? And know just how much they do care? And realize just how polar opposite they are from the depictions above.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
PecaFan said:

Some may start off that way. But few end up that way. Ottawa players also make many unannounced visits to the childrens hospital to play video games with the kids amongst many other things. Some of them get very emotionally attached to their charities.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Hockey players, in general, have long been known as classy individuals.

The problem today is that the disgusting amount of money is ruining them.

From hold outs to lockouts... it's all about the money.

Their "Classy" image is turning (or has already turned) into a "greedy" image... at least in the opinions of myself and my peers.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Its all about fairness. Classy people dont ask for their fair worth? Classy people accept not getting a fair deal? The players are standing on principle. The owners are standing on greed and lying to brainwash you into thinking its the players fault and only the owners illegal system will work.

I think classy people dont exhibit petty jealousy because the money is larger than they could ever imagine.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
vanlady said:
The problem with your theory is the fact that many of these players have been maintaining there charity work and donations since the season ended. That is not part of their job, that is because they actually care.

I dealt with that "problem" in my second sentence.

Maybe why I defend these guys so much, because I have had the opportunity to meet a few?? And know just how much they do care? And realize just how polar opposite they are from the depictions above.

Of course, that's a self selecting sample. You meet the good ones, of course. The bad ones you don't meet, because they're at home strangling kittens, not volunteering. Kinda like hanging out at the complaint department for a shoe store, and thinking there's nothing but trouble with the products they sell.

Nobody said there weren't some great compassionate players out there. Just don't try and paint them all as saints.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
PecaFan said:
I dealt with that "problem" in my second sentence.

Of course, that's a self selecting sample. You meet the good ones, of course. The bad ones you don't meet, because they're at home strangling kittens, not volunteering. Kinda like hanging out at the complaint department for a shoe store, and thinking there's nothing but trouble with the products they sell.

Nobody said there weren't some great compassionate players out there. Just don't try and paint them all as saints.

The don't paint them all GREEDY

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
vanlady said:
What I have a problem with is the generalization. Not all players in the NHL are greedy. There is a reason Trevor Linden was given the Govenor Generals Humanitarian Award this year. Oh and you might be surprised to learn just how much money players donate to charities in your community. If they are so greedy would they do that??? Before you say it is only in NHL cities, I suggest you go to your local hockey rink and ask if they have ever received any money from the NHLPA Goals and Dreams fund. Labeling players as greedy is a character assasination of a whole group of people.

No offence, but you made a point of intentionally questioning the credibility of all owners on a different thread, so you are certainly not one to complain about generalizations. Obviously you aren't willing to understand what people mean when they say "players are greedy", or at least what they are refering to. It's pointless to take comments out of context, and intentionaly misinterpreting a poster doesn't really make much sense either.

For my part, I'm pretty sure that guys like Linden do think they are doing what's best for them. I also think Linden is out to lunch and doesn't really have a very good grasp of what he's talking about. It doesn't make his volunteer efforts any less, but they don't make him any smarter either.

Again I kind of find this a bit funny from you, as on the Beliveau thread you were totally dissing him, and he's a player many compare Linden to. Don't you find this a bit odd?

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
quat said:
No offence, but you made a point of intentionally questioning the credibility of all owners on a different thread, so you are certainly not one to complain about generalizations. Obviously you aren't willing to understand what people mean when they say "players are greedy", or at least what they are refering to. It's pointless to take comments out of context, and intentionaly misinterpreting a poster doesn't really make much sense either.

For my part, I'm pretty sure that guys like Linden do think they are doing what's best for them. I also think Linden is out to lunch and doesn't really have a very good grasp of what he's talking about. It doesn't make his volunteer efforts any less, but they don't make him any smarter either.

Again I kind of find this a bit funny from you, as on the Beliveau thread you were totally dissing him, and he's a player many compare Linden to. Don't you find this a bit odd?

The difference, generalizing the players as greedy is an opinion, with no factual back up. Do you have articles and links that are nothing more than character assasinations??? The difference, I can prove through links that the owners have a history of fraudulent behavior.

The point, the players being greedy is a personal opinion without any factual back up, generally derived from the NHL propoganda.

By the way, Beliveau has not been a player for a long time. He is management.

Once and for all, Trevor Linden is the President of the Union, it is his job to speak the feelings of the whole union, not his own. The players have given him a mandate and it is his job to fulfill it.

What blows me away, I can see where at least a portion of the millions the players make goes. I have yet to see a penny that John McCaw makes off this team go into my community.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
vanlady said:
The difference, generalizing the players as greedy is an opinion, with no factual back up. Do you have articles and links that are nothing more than character assasinations??? The difference, I can prove through links that the owners have a history of fraudulent behavior.

The point, the players being greedy is a personal opinion without any factual back up, generally derived from the NHL propoganda.

By the way, Beliveau has not been a player for a long time. He is management.

Once and for all, Trevor Linden is the President of the Union, it is his job to speak the feelings of the whole union, not his own. The players have given him a mandate and it is his job to fulfill it.

What blows me away, I can see where at least a portion of the millions the players make goes. I have yet to see a penny that John McCaw makes off this team go into my community.

Uh, do you actually think when you read? I mean really. You accuse others of generalizing and then do the same thing yourself. You tell others the NHL is just propaganda, but swallow everything the NHLPA puts out.

The whole point I was making about posters saying players were greedy, was to point out it was for the most part JUST OPINION, and should be only taken in that way!!!! You are intentionally being obstinate, arguing over disagreements you are making up.

What's with this holier than thou crap "Once and for all" ? You seem to suggest that I don't understand who Linden is or what his position calls for him to do. I pointed out his volunteer efforts don't make him a smart person. How you can read that and them write the above is a mystery.

I never said some owners weren't charged or found guilty for criminal behaviour, I said you generalized by tarring them and any other player that comes out against the NHLPA as puppets. And you do this all the time... all the while complaining about how people who disagree with you generalize.

For someone who talks about educating themselves being a priority, you seem to make little effort at all to understand what most of the posters here are saying.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
There's a LOT of gray area in most of the issues surrounding the lockout, so to speak in absolutes is probably going to get you into trouble, regardless of position. It IS possible for one person to believe that:

- Bettman's salary-cap idea is what's best for the NHL, long-term.

- The owners are in large part responsible for the current economic climate.

- Bill Wirtz and Jeremy Jacobs are BAD for the league.

- Mike Ilitch would stop at nothing in his quest for the Cup, which is great for Red Wings fans--not so good for everybody else.

- Chris Chelios is an idiot.

- Jean Beliveau isn't entirely right, in the sense that not EVERYBODY was overpaid in the last 10 years. However, logical people get the point he's trying to make.

- The NHLPA has good reason not to trust SOME NHL owners, but have no reason at all not to trust others.

- Gary Bettman has actually done some good for the NHL.

- A 2005 draft eligible could challenge the draft system and win, and it could get ugly.

Some people could believe all those things, because the labor stoppage is NOT a black and white issue.

BTW, I believe in all of the above.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
vanlady said:

Who paying the players' salaries while they are doing this community work? McCaw. McCaw could have the players sign autographs and flog them off on the internet or conduct fee based training sessions to make more money for himself. Instead he has the players do charity work that don't earn him a cent. Its costing him money.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Jag68Vlady27 said:
There's a LOT of gray area in most of the issues surrounding the lockout, so to speak in absolutes is probably going to get you into trouble, regardless of position. It IS possible for one person to believe that:

- Bettman's salary-cap idea is what's best for the NHL, long-term.

- The owners are in large part responsible for the current economic climate.

- Bill Wirtz and Jeremy Jacobs are BAD for the league.

- Mike Ilitch would stop at nothing in his quest for the Cup, which is great for Red Wings fans--not so good for everybody else.

- Chris Chelios is an idiot.

- Jean Beliveau isn't entirely right, in the sense that not EVERYBODY was overpaid in the last 10 years. However, logical people get the point he's trying to make.

- The NHLPA has good reason not to trust SOME NHL owners, but have no reason at all not to trust others.

- Gary Bettman has actually done some good for the NHL.

- A 2005 draft eligible could challenge the draft system and win, and it could get ugly.

Some people could believe all those things, because the labor stoppage is NOT a black and white issue.

BTW, I believe in all of the above.

I'll add to the list that it's possible for a person to be an owner supporter, while not being anti-player... This isn't black & white, good vs. bad, right vs. wrong, IMO...

And consequently, there is no silver bullet solution here... It's got to be a compromise on both sides, to reach a solution that is reasonable (not preferred) to both parties... The absolute fairest deal will be one that both the owners and the players equally hate... and in the process, NHL hockey will survive - and perhaps even thrive...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I in the Eye said:
I'll add to the list that it's possible for a person to be an owner supporter, while not being anti-player... This isn't black & white, good vs. bad, right vs. wrong, IMO...

And consequently, there is no silver bullet solution here... It's got to be a compromise on both sides, to reach a solution that is reasonable (not preferred) to both parties... The absolute fairest deal will be one that both the owners and the players equally hate... and in the process, NHL hockey will survive - and perhaps even thrive...

Indeed.

Blindside9711

RLC said:
This post doesn't even warrant a dignified response, RLC should be ashamed of himself for spouting off such irrelevant, incoherent drivel.
"We are all stupider for having read this. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul." :dunce:

33teddy33

Sep 29, 2003
www.tedbeezy.com
To each his own.

But, funny that the NHLPA thinks the owners should suck it up. These same "superstars" are playing right now for a tiny percentage of what they are used to overseas in the "NHLeast". If it's not about money for them, why don't they prove it and let there be a salary cap or something to the sort?? :shakehead If they're all such sportsman why dont they step-up and do something for the greater good of the sport.

Whatever.
Glad I live near and AHL team now. At least they want to play. Fugg it!

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
me2 said:
there is no reason a a person can't be greedy for money and generous with their time.

Exactly. We're dealing with apples and oranges here. There's no doubt many players are generous with both their time and money to help various causes. Kudos to them. Some would argue (correctly, I believe) that this is a responsibility that comes with great wealth, social standing and fame affored to them as professional athletes, but that's besides the point. Also, let's be honest, the average professional athlete works about half the time as the average 40 to 50-hour a week person.
The greed label applies not to their lives as a whole, and certainly not their charitable work, but rather their approach to the CBA situation and the state of the league. Fairly or not, many fans believe the players are putting their salary expectations ahead of the overall health of the NHL and the sport as a whole. Bottom line: whatever happens with the CBA, many these guys will make more in one year of playing a game than most people earn in 10 years working 40 hours a week, 50 weeks a year. Most don't begrduge the players the fruits of their hard work and natural gifts, but don't like the fact many players don't seem to appreciate their good fortune and are willing to kill/severely injure a sport that for many is a passion over whether they will earn $10 million or $8 million a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad