Let Face It There Is Not Going To Be A Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunter1909*

the owners dont care if they lose the season...

the real fans of hockey dont care either...

only the 700 odd greedy lames care...

and those who make their living off hockey related matters...

personally...i cant wait to see replacement players brought in, and the NHLPA smashed to atoms

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
I don't think you're right, actually. I believe there will be a season.

Brian Burke pointed out the other day that the players salaries total over a *BILLION* dollars a year. Think about that. If the season goes down, that money is lost to them *forever*.

To a player, that's pure profit. He doesn't have to spend money to make money like an owner does. So the pressure on them is going to be much higher than the owners.

hunter1909*

in all seriousness...

the NHLPA members are basically - not articularly bright, over advised by vested interest tools...

im pretty certain theyre going to lose the season, by sticking to their foolhardy strategy...

the NHLPA boss looks like another not-too-bright guy...the type who picks fights in bars lol...

while i can appreciate hopes of the fans...the reality is...THE R.E.A.L.I.T.Y.....

its going to take replacement players and the end of the nhlpa to save the NHL as we know it

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
hunter1909 said:
in all seriousness...

the NHLPA members are basically - not articularly bright, over advised by vested interest tools...

im pretty certain theyre going to lose the season, by sticking to their foolhardy strategy...

the NHLPA boss looks like another not-too-bright guy...the type who picks fights in bars lol...

while i can appreciate hopes of the fans...the reality is...THE R.E.A.L.I.T.Y.....

its going to take replacement players and the end of the nhlpa to save the NHL as we know it

I think it will take nothing short of a coup of Bob Goodenow [or if you like, a graceful resignation.....a family illness, or some cover that will allow him to save face]......to save the season. I think this week, with the coming of the meeting on Tuesday and its aftermath, will decide whether we have a season or not. I'm not holding my breath.......

I.am.ca

hunter1909 said:

personally...i cant wait to see replacement players brought in, and the NHLPA smashed to atoms

Ditto.

REPLACEMENT PLAYERS!!!
Greedy bastards.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
PecaFan said:
I don't think you're right, actually. I believe there will be a season.

Brian Burke pointed out the other day that the players salaries total over a *BILLION* dollars a year. Think about that. If the season goes down, that money is lost to them *forever*.

To a player, that's pure profit. He doesn't have to spend money to make money like an owner does. So the pressure on them is going to be much higher than the owners.

The cost of losing this season (over a billion dollars) is the same as signing a CBA where the players would lose that amount over the years. The players will lose the same amount of money not playing this year as they'd lose during a 5 year period at the owners proposed cap. So why they aren't at the negociation table trying to salvage what they can is an interesting question.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
Smail said:
The cost of losing this season (over a billion dollars) is the same as signing a CBA where the players would lose that amount over the years. The players will lose the same amount of money not playing this year as they'd lose during a 5 year period at the owners proposed cap. So why they aren't at the negociation table trying to salvage what they can is an interesting question.

you can't LOSE anything unless it's already been earned and in your pocket. Monetarily the players are LOSING absolutely nothing except a year's salary, whatever that may be. no matter what the next cba is agreed at, the players don't LOSE anything. It just may be less than what they could have made in the previous cba, but technically they don't LOSE anything they haven't already made.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
garry1221 said:
you can't LOSE anything unless it's already been earned and in your pocket. Monetarily the players are LOSING absolutely nothing except a year's salary, whatever that may be. no matter what the next cba is agreed at, the players don't LOSE anything. It just may be less than what they could have made in the previous cba, but technically they don't LOSE anything they haven't already made.

It is indeed an economic cost for the players. I'm not sure what you're trying to do/show/prove by playing on words.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Smail said:
The cost of losing this season (over a billion dollars) is the same as signing a CBA where the players would lose that amount over the years. The players will lose the same amount of money not playing this year as they'd lose during a 5 year period at the owners proposed cap.

The only thing they're going to lose is the *extra* money they've already received for the past few years when they've been overpaid. In essence, bonus money for the past 10 years.

And they're going to lose it regardless. Things aren't going to stay the way they have been. Flushing away all that cash just to lose in the end isn't smart.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
hmm..

hunter1909 said:

I think the owners this time around are committed to getting a system that works for them, so they are fully prepared to lose the season in order to get what they need.

Hockey fans don't care what the system is, as long as its fair and both sides are content with the solution.

The players care, not showing it right now, but when the season is called off, then they will care. The marginal players making 500,000 in the NHL realize that 1 lost year in the NHL equals anywhere from 7-10 years of playing in the AHL. 2 lost NHL years is equal to a career in the AHL. Not to mention the young prospects for each team are improving each year in the AHL, Junior, College, and Europe and will be prepared to take jobs away from them when the NHL resumes.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The big difference between 1994 and this labour dispute is the NHLPA doesn't have active or healthy versions of Gretkzy, Mario, Lindros, Bure, Federov, Hull, Messier etc...to hold back or hold as barganing chips. I mean who the heck cares if they don't see Marion Gaborik ever again? Can anybody honestly say that the talent pool in today's NHL couldn't be replaced within a few years by drafting young new players?

Jaysfanatic*

The #1 reason there will not be a season this year:

The Red Sox won the World Series. Yes, you heard me, it's because of the Sox. The last time they won the World Series, 1918. The last year the Stanley Cup was not presented to any team? 1918 because of a wicked illness that swept through the nation, they did not want to risk players health, and the Stanley Cup was not presented.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Devilsfanatic said:

The Red Sox won the World Series. Yes, you heard me, it's because of the Sox. The last time they won the World Series, 1918. The last year the Stanley Cup was not presented to any team? 1918 because of a wicked illness that swept through the nation, they did not want to risk players health, and the Stanley Cup was not presented.

Don't feed Bob Goodenow new ideas/lines... ;)

MacDaddy TLC*

I won't pay much attention to the replacements either. Both the NHL owners and the NHLPA are greedy bastards. I think that the PA are the worse right now, but once they get this CBA nonsense hammered out, the fans need to ignore them for about 1-2 seasons until they start bringing ticket prices back to earth (looking right at you MLSE!) . give the game back to the fans, not the corporate sponsors.

Carl Spackler

Mar 9, 2004
I'll have no problem watching replacements. If your favourite player gets dealt from your team do you switch allegiances? Besides, if replacement players are used it will take about a week and a half before the players continue to do what they are best at-looking out for #1. Replacement players = Regular NHL hockey within a month. The sooner the better in my opinion.

SwisshockeyAcademy said:
Whatever way this goes i will not spend even one second watching replacements.I may be glad they are there but i will not watch it.

Last edited:

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I really dont think theres enough time to hammer out an agreement IF they are not talking within two weeks .

Wouldnt a stiff lux tax /rev sharing system be considered a good meeting point ?

you cant expect it to go from no cap or lux tax whatsoever then to a hard cap .

middle ground boys , middle ground

chara

Mar 31, 2004
Problem with the game:

Players making $1.8M on average = higher ticket prices

Which player(s) scored 60 goals last season or which 10 players had 100 pts? None.

No player is worth 7-11M/season including netminders who can thank their oversized equipment, the 'trap', and parity for their lower GAA.

Emerald City Bruin

I-90 W for 2500mi
Aug 3, 2004
Seattle,WA
Devilsfanatic said:

Actually there was no winner in 1919. The series was called off due to a Spanish flu outbreak here in Seattle with the series tied at 2-2-1. 5 Canadiens were hospitalized and Joe Hall died 4 days after the 6th game was cancelled. Seattle could have won the sixth game and the Stanley Cup by forfeit, but refused to do so.

YellHockey*

chara said:
Problem with the game:

Players making $1.8M on average = higher ticket prices

Problem with the game:

Fans who believe that can't understand that higher ticket prices lead to higher player salaries, not the other way around.

If the fans were smart enough to understand some basic economics then they wouldn't care what the players made. They'd just want the NHL to be playing right now.

silver_made*

There will be a season, with a similar 45 game duration as the hyphenated '94-'95 season. The Kolniks and Commodores of the NHL come in far greater quantity than the mccabes and prongers. all of these little guys will run back to training camps once clubs open them, leaving the very few big money players sitting with their thumbs up their asses. they will feel stupid and jump right back into the fold. If the owners are able to open up 'tryouts,' the nhlpa would fizzle.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
BlackRedGold said:
Problem with the game:

Fans who believe that can't understand that higher ticket prices lead to higher player salaries, not the other way around.

If the fans were smart enough to understand some basic economics then they wouldn't care what the players made. They'd just want the NHL to be playing right now.

lets just go off into this sector for a bit. You and the rest of the people who claim the cap won't lead to lower ticket prices and will just create mediocrity. here's a question do you think for one second that the fans will put up with paying huge prices for a mediocre product? Frankly i'd say most fans would be calling either for a refund or *gasp* LOWER TICKET PRICES across the board. Don't try bringing the supply and demand garbage because eventually the demand runs out and you'll still have the fans calling for lower ticket prices.

Then again if the cap doesn't make 30 mediocre teams this very well won't be the case at all. quite frankly i can't see 30 mediocre teams in the league. Why? Because on ice success relates to one ice chemistry. If a team doesn't gel right then nothing, not a cap, not a single thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->