Post-Game Talk: Let’s take a Flyer on the standings

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, Matheson has been way better than I ever expected he could be.
I honestly thought he'd do well here, but not to that degree. His anticipation and reading the play is much more sound than what the Panther faithful were selling, that's for sure.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I honestly thought he'd do well here, but not to that degree. His anticipation and reading the play is much more sound than what the Panther faithful were selling, that's for sure.

I thought he'd do well offensively, but him and Ceci were rounding into our best overall pairing before he went down which is just insanity.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
AFObG0T.gif
tenor.gif

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Odd game. Definitely not a full effort game. Sounds like Geno is fine, or at least he will be by the time the playoffs come around, so that's the most important thing. We got outshot in the first half of the game but we still had the better of the chances. Sid clearly wanted to make sure he could turn it on in the 3rd and dominated the period when he decided he wanted to. I can't wait to see him go all out every shift again for the first time in months come game 1.

I'm not super hot on our game heading into the playoffs and I'll die on the bridge of playing aggressive defensively, but things have come together pretty well for us. Boston should find a way to get at least a point in the next couple games and secure 2nd or 3rd so we'll at least have a series against NYI to try and get our game together. We need to find a way to be rock solid defensively and hope that Sid and Geno can create off their own sticks and that our depth can score consistently.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Kind of funny how national media kinda bagged on the Pens for acquiring a player no one else wanted and who no one knew was even available, in contrast to the high-profile additions of the other East teams, and then he won us the division almost single-handedly

I said when we got him that he was the final piece needed to make this team better than 2016 team. Line I posted earlier that does not guarantee a Cup. The 93 team was better than 92 and didn't win the Cup.

I thought Carter was going to be a slightly better Bonino. The way he is playing now I would say he is a slightly better 2009 Staal. That is just crazy great Center depth. I would also take Blueger over any 4C in the NHL. Now we just got to hope Malkin gets back to his play before the injury when he was paired up with Kapanen and looked like our best line.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
VigilantMeagerCivet-max-1mb.gif

It is nice to actually win the division over the Caps for once.

I see Capitals fans everywhere on the net comment sections (mostly at the j site) saying 'nobody cares about winning the division title' or 'this franchise only cares about cups'

hahahaha

yeah sure.

(I don't care about winning it I just care about home ice and not letting the caps walk away with it... AGAIN (just as the injury bug has FINALLY STRUCK THEM)) f*** OFF CAPITALS and CAP FANS!!

-add, sorry got a little unhinged at the end there =P

Reactions: ncm7772

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Something doesn't sit well with me looking at Carters 9 goals in 14 games to Geno's 8 goals in 33 games....

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
4 in 1gp + 5 in 13

Vs

8 in 33

Better?

Not sure what I'm thinking... it's just worrying.

Can look at it a few ways to have the same affect. Tanev 7 goals in 32 games to Geno's 8 in 33.

I guess I'm just worried Geno is nearing the end of his run. Happens to everyone, but Sid and Geno are different.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I get that Zucker was a disappointment, but he finished the year with a pace of 20 goals and 40 points per 82 games. I'd prefer he be better than that, but that's also almost exactly what he did in 2018-2019 with the Wild (21 goals and 42 points in 81 games). He hasn't been worth what they paid for him, but he's still been a good player for them overall. They paid top-6 winger prices for a guy who ended up a 2nd/3rd line tweener here, it's not great but it's not the end of the world.

He'll probably be taken in the expansion draft, which helps the Penguins cap situation and lets them lose a guy they can afford to lose. All things considered, I'd make the trade again even with him being a sub-optimal fit with Malkin. The thought of keeping Addison (who the Penguins didn't need) and the 1st rounder (who won't help the Penguins with Crosby and Malkin) isn't worth giving up Zucker, even if he's not a great fit here.

Come on now. There were plenty of better things we could have done last summer with that 1st, Addison, and 5.5m in cap with 20/20 hindsight. I think the complaints are overdone and reckon he could still go off big at the right moment for us in the playoffs, but being happy enough to redo the trade? Nope.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Not sure what I'm thinking... it's just worrying.

Can look at it a few ways to have the same affect. Tanev 7 goals in 32 games to Geno's 8 in 33.

I guess I'm just worried Geno is nearing the end of his run. Happens to everyone, but Sid and Geno are different.
My theory is that Malkin never accepted that he can’t do the things he did in 2012 anymore and Crosby has accepted it and shaped his game into a more well rounded style, which in all honesty in the history of hockey him and Yzerman are the prime examples. There’s no shame in admitting this age and injuries pile up.

Reactions: Jameleon and LOGiK

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Man, I would rather face the Islanders but if it has to be the Bruins, so be it.

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
The Pens did win the old Patrick Division in 1991 when they won their first cup so I'm not too worried there either way. This year has been so weird I've thrown expectations or trends out the window, only gratitude for home ice. Pretty odd to see Caps fans throwing out the injury excuse, though. If there's one argument that really can't be used against the Pens, it's injury adversity. After so many years it almost feels like settled law at this point.

Besides, I thought Schultz said that his current team was the deepest team he'd ever been on, so it shouldn't matter. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->