HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Les Canadiens Montreal!

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
It's been already 4 years.. man time flies by fast...What a great night that was.. Cammy's best regular season game with the Habs for sure!

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Meanwhile, the Boston Bruins are 90 years old.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
SO you're telling me..... the Centennial game vs boston where mike scored a hat trick was FOUR years ago?!

jesus chri.... i mean habby birthday!

Wetcoaster

Dave Stubbs a hockey writer at the Montreal Gazette has been tweeting some great pictures of past Habs teams in celebration of the 104th birthday of the team.
https://twitter.com/Dave_Stubbs

1914-15:
Baqv44oCQAA63hn.jpg:large

Here's a 1920s team Vézina, Joliat, Morenz, etc.
BapkC6BCIAAj8nw.jpg:large

There are number of other team pictures at the Twitter link.

Although I grew up a Maple Leafs fan like my father and grandfather before me, I have a very fond personal memory of the Habs.

When I was a young'un the Habs had a training camp in Victoria one year at the old Memorial Arena where I played my minor hockey - 1961-62 season.

I went downtown to watch them practise. A few players came out and were fooling around with some pucks.

I was trying to get some autographs without much success along with a bunch of other kids. One young Habs guy (I later found out it was Bobby Rousseau) says to me "Get lost kid, I don't have time for you." Kind of crushes a 10 year old.

Out comes this guy in a blazer with a Habs logo on the breast pocket - he storms down to the players bench and orders the players over. He proceeds to tear a strip off Rousseau and couple of other players who were ignoring the young fans. All the players then come over and sign for all us kids.

After getting my autographs I went over to thank him. Not knowing his name I said "Thanks mister." He grabs my shoulder and says "Hi I'm Kenny Reardon. Some of these young guys get big heads and I told them that without the fans and especially young fans they are nothing."

He then tells me this is an optional practise and that only some of the young guys are around but that I should come over to the Empress Hotel later that afternoon and ask for him. He said he would try to get me as many autographs of the regular players as were around. He then asks for a piece of paper and writes his name and room number on it with a message to the front desk clerk to call his room when I arrived.

I thanked him again and then told him that I was really a Leafs fan like my Dad but my Mom and sister were Montreal fans. He laughed and said to me he grew up in Winnipeg and that he was a Leaf's fan too when he was growing up.

I went to the hotel later that afternoon with my Dad and I was able to get autographs of almost the whole team (and Toe Blake) thanks to Kenny Reardon.

He passed away in March 2009 but I will always remember him. A truly great person.

Former Montreal Canadiens defenceman and Hockey Hall of Famer Kenny Reardon has passed away after a lengthy battle with Alzheimer's disease. He was 86.

Reardon played seven seasons with the Canadiens between 1940 and 1950, scoring 122 points in 341 games.

He played his first two seasons with Montreal before enlisting with the Canadian Army in 1942 for the Second World War. He returned to Canada in 1945 and rejoined the Canadiens.

Playing with greats like Maurice Richard, Toe Blake, Elmer Lach and Emile Bouchard, Reardon helped the Canadiens win two Stanley Cups. He was also selected to the NHL's First All-Star Team twice and the Second All-Star Team three times in his career.

After his retirement in 1950, he remained with Montreal's front office and was named assistant general manager to the legendary Frank Selke in 1956. Reardon was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1966, and the Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame in 1996.​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad