Post-Game Talk: Les Canadiens de Montreal vs Ottawa Senators 7:30pm [Chabot 6 Point Game Edition]

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The only reason anyone would like White tonight is because of his recent contract. That's it. He did absolutely nothing to convince me he is a lock in any top six.
I won't sit here and say he was amazing or anything but he did dog the puck a few times to set up Tkachuk for some grade A scoring opportunities. It was what I expect of him for the most part. He's miscast as the team's 1C to be sure and I keep that in mind when evaluating his game.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
I won't sit here and say he was amazing or anything but he did dog the puck a few times to set up Tkachuk for some grade A scoring opportunities. It was what I expect of him for the most part. He's miscast as the team's 1C to be sure and I keep that in mind when evaluating his game.
I agree, he is a workhorse at times. But I felt like he should have been excelling here and he's falling back to the pack.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The only reason anyone would like White tonight is because of his recent contract. That's it. He did absolutely nothing to convince me he is a lock in any top six.

I’d like him more if he had a $2.5 cap hit and not a $4.75 after tonight so game. I doesn’t look like he has come into camp different (stronger, faster). Still early, hopefully he is just finding his way.... he is the second highest AAV for a forward on the team and needs to keep himself in the top 6 to justify that.

Last edited:

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I’d like him more if he had a $2.5 cap hit and not a $4.75 after tonight so game. I doesn’t look like he has come into camp different (stronger, faster). Still early, hopefully he is just finding his way.... he is the second highest AAV for a forward on the team and needs to keep himself in the top 6 to justify that.

I’d argue his contract is lined up to be the 4th or 5th most important player up front
Ideally you have White as the 3C who can move up if the top six get hurt

You’d want to play him 14-16ES in a shutdown checking role
Another 2-3 a game SH

This club needs two Centers better then him
Needs two wingers better then him

The White contract is solid but he is being asked to play in a role he’s not built for... there’s significant value in what he can do defensively while providing 40-50 points in a depth role offensively

You don’t just move on from White in the present because of this missing pieces...

Like if the club drafted Byfield and a guy like Brown hit 60-70 points himself... at the same time White was beginning to emerge instead of now and signed that contract... that would be viewed as an outstanding move for this’s club...

But

Whites establishment just came a couple years earlier and signed before the two heavyweights were added

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I’d probably argue the 3C is as valuable to a club as the second best winger

For example during the CASH days I’d argue Chris Kelly was more valuable then all the other wingers the club had off that line during that time

And White has significantly more offensive ability then Kelly

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Hard to really tell from tv but seems like Montreal played the same physical/fast game that Ottawa had played against Toronto. Seemed like Montreal’s rookies wanted it more than Ottawa’s. Just some preliminary observations.

Batherson, haven’t noticed him offensively but for occasional flashes. Have noticed his defensive play though, definitely more physical as well.

Zaitsev, liked his skating. A few bobbles but still too early to judge.

Formenton, they are playing very tight to him, especially on the defensive zone breakout, hard for him to get up to speed.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So much worry from pre season games. Sheesh

images

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I agree, he is a workhorse at times. But I felt like he should have been excelling here and he's falling back to the pack.

What are you expecting him to show more tonight?

He created at least 3 grade A chance and played his usual good defensive game.

He created a chance to duclair on the PP in the first
And he create 2 great chance to C.Brown and B.Tkachuk near the net.

That's what you want from a guy making his salary and playing in the top 6. He was pretty much alone with Brown and Tkachuk being blackhole tonight.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Cant speak for you the rest of you shmucks, but I woke up feeling great about last nights games.

The Sens have no chance of breaking my heart and winning a bunch of surprise games this season. Byfield will be ours my dudes, mark my words.

Wolves home opener today, already have my ticket.. I'll let y'all know how our boy looks :yo:

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
We play bad tonight but 3 goal from Montreal was luck. Zaitzev block a shot and bounce on tape of Petry. Anderson mistake back of is net. The fourth hit defenseman and go to the goal

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I said the same thing earlier about Tkachuk. These games mean absolutely nothing for White. It doesn’t matter how he shows at all.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Brown is a bottom 6er through and through. He shouldn't be on that top line. If they wanna stick him on Pageau's line in a checking role, fine but he has so few offensive tools.
Yup, not sure how anyone who actually watched him would think any different. This team is going to be really bad this year and that is ok. Keep the top prospects in belleville and let this rebuild happen organically. People just need to be patient.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think you're real close. I'd say Brannstrom won't make it and Lajoie will. Maybe Jaros in Belleville to start with Goloubef here to start too. Just based on how much those 2 D are playing vs Brannstrom.

Lajoie and Jaros are my picks to make Ottawa with Brannstrom and Goloubef in Belleville.

I am still waiting for the prospect forwards to demonstrate who stays and don’t think Paul or Batherson are locked in at this point. But no other prospect forwards have done enough to convince me they should be in the NHL now. I was delighted with Abramov but he got injured which has affected his chance to win a spot with continued good offensive play against NHL level opponents.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Lajoie and Jaros are my picks to make Ottawa with Brannstrom and Goloubef in Belleville.

Lajoie just got cut and sent to Belleville.

Brannstrom is still on the NHL team, as well as Goloubef.

There's only 8 defencemen left in camp, which means probably Brannstrom stays while Goloubef is the last D cut (assuming we keep 7 defencemen up, which I guess is far from a guarantee with this team).

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
No I think it’s pretty worthless. NFL teams have finally caught on and most good starters skip the entire thing completely. A guy like Chabot or Tkachuk shouldn’t even be suited up for one of these games.

Vets might see it as worthless if they have a signed guaranteed contract and are already in game shape and speed; however, I think they should be using the pre-season games to get up to game speed due to taking a lot of time off from playing games in the summer. Plus they should be leading the younger players and prospects on this team by displaying their commitment to playing well during pre-season, not just out for a skate.

In the pre-season the team does not earn any points, but the younger players need to earn a job and the vets need to start leading them toward victories.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Why should he be excelling?

He's 22, this is going to be his second full year in the NHL.

I remain convinced he's going to be great down the line (I think he can be a 70 point player) but he never was going to be a dominant player out of the gate.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Lajoie just got cut and sent to Belleville.

Brannstrom is still on the NHL team, as well as Goloubef.

There's only 8 defencemen left in camp, which means probably Brannstrom stays while Goloubef is the last D cut (assuming we keep 7 defencemen up, which I guess is far from a guarantee with this team).

Thanks for the info. I am a bit surprised by this.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Vets might see it as worthless if they have a signed guaranteed contract and are already in game shape and speed; however, I think they should be using the pre-season games to get up to game speed due to taking a lot of time off from playing games in the summer. Plus they should be leading the younger players and prospects on this team by displaying their commitment to playing well during pre-season, not just out for a skate.

In the pre-season the team does not earn any points, but the younger players need to earn a job and the vets need to start leading them toward victories.

We’re just going to have to disagree because I don’t think any of this occurs in the preseason. How many players earn their job from preseason play? How many times do we see people complain about no names trying to go after stars to “make a name?”

The preseason should be 3-4 games IMO.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad