Post-Game Talk: Les Canadiens de Montreal vs Ottawa Senators 7:30pm [Chabot 6 Point Game Edition]

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I wanna see each one of Batherson/Duclair/Veronneau on RW opposite Tkachuk and White for a spell. Very impressed with Veronneau so far. Excellent touch with the puck overall. Batherson needs guys that operate more down low for, and could provide some sustained pressure. Duclair would at least help them break into the zone and get to pucks faster. Brown is a useful player but I don’t think he’s the answer on that line. Could be wrong though. It’s only been two games. I’d rather him as part of a checking tandem with Pageau at some point.
Brown is a bottom 6er through and through. He shouldn't be on that top line. If they wanna stick him on Pageau's line in a checking role, fine but he has so few offensive tools.

Reactions: Cosmix and gab6511

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well that didn’t go as planned.

Just pre-season, so no big deal.

It will be a big deal for those prospects who get sent to Belleville in the next few days. Some of them will deserve the demotion and have no one to blame but the guy they see in the mirror.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
The most interesting part of the Tv broadcast tonight was . . .
Bruce Garrioch’s comments on the Senators negotiations with Chabot. He said something like “ The Senators made it clear to Chabot’s Agent that they were not going to offer or negotiate any signing bonuses, and therefore don’t bother to ask for them”.

That perhaps sheds some light on the past negotiations with Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, etc.

If Chabot had been a few years older, with a few more good seasons under his belt, there's no way he signs in Ottawa. They got lucky.

Reactions: Cosmix and gab6511

h2

Mar 26, 2002
The most interesting part of the Tv broadcast tonight was . . .
Bruce Garrioch’s comments on the Senators negotiations with Chabot. He said something like “ The Senators made it clear to Chabot’s Agent that they were not going to offer or negotiate any signing bonuses, and therefore don’t bother to ask for them”.

That perhaps sheds some light on the past negotiations with Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, etc.
That’s not promising for the future

Reactions: Cosmix

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Brown is a bottom 6er through and through. He shouldn't be on that top line. If they wanna stick him on Pageau's line in a checking role, fine but he has so few offensive tools.

Yeah it’s not like they’re trying to play him opposite Crosby or McDavid where his stats would be/were inflated. I get the logic behind it, grinding top line etc, but White and Tkachuk definitely need a more raw still component next to them.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Are you suggesting that Duclair and Pageau are not offensive players? They may not be top 3 but they both have top 6 capabilities and both have shown offensive upside in the past. Great offensive players, if Batherson is one, can make average offensive players appear better than they are so with some time and chemistry, I could see that line having success.

Pageau isn’t an offensive player and does not have top 6 capabilities. There was a time I thought he could take a step in that direction but that ship has sailed. Dunclair while individually skilled doesn’t really ultilize his teammates well.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Pageau isn’t an offensive player and does not have top 6 capabilities. There was a time I thought he could take a step in that direction but that ship has sailed. Dunclair while individually skilled doesn’t really ultilize his teammates well.
I like the idea of Duclair there and focusing on a checking role. He can use his speed to counter attack (like Hoffman when he was used that way under Boucher). Duclair-Pageau-Brown would be serviceable as a 3rd/checking line. Get some more offensive guys on the 2nd with L. Brown perhaps. Top PP unit for Duclair as well.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Always funny to read pre-season GDTs... Difference in this game is that the Habs were opportunistic on the PP while the Sens didn't do much on the PP and when they did, Kinkaid made some great saves. Still, pre-season hockey is not very watchable in general.

People have to understand that the Sens are like a little baby learning how to walk right now, there is very very little pro experience on that team. The veterans tonight were Pageau (368 NHL games) and Zaitsev (223 NHL Games)? Brown and Duclair? Both have played less than 300 NHL games. All are middle of the line-up players, except maybe Duclair

This team still has to recover from losing Erik Karlsson, Mike Hoffman, Matt Duchene, Mark Stone and even Ryan Dzingel in just 1 year (also lost several other vets in the recent past like Brassard and Phaneuf. Methot and MacArthur the year before). That's some big shoes to fill, and even with all that talent, they were still capable of the best (2016-17) or the worst (2017-18) showing hockey fans how much parity there is in that league.

Most of the current Sens youngsters are still learning the NHL game, they have to understand how to be pros night after night and how to materialize their talent to become more effective. It's going to take a bit of time and it's actually a good thing because the timing now is to have a fantastic draft in 9 months. If we can add 1 or 2 high end talents then this team could be set for a long time (imagine adding a top-3/4 pick OA and a ~15th OA pick from THAT draft. It looks pretty realistic at the moment)

What is important this season is that the guys like Chabot, Tkachuk, White, Batherson, Formenton, Norris, L.Brown, etc gain some experience and progress as hockey players. I think internally they are all aware that it's going to be a work in progress and that they have some work ahead of them to become good NHL players individually and then a good team as a result. Patience is the name of the game for Sens fans. Now imagine if Melnyk sells in 1-2 years when the team starts rising. We're going to be ecstatic.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Chlapik is not NHL quality. He's a dud. Cut bait on this one.
I mean, I don't think he was even close to being one of the worst guys out there tonight. Lots of rookies and vets were worse. As far as forwards go, the only guys I liked were Veronneau, Batherson and White. Duclair neutral. Tkachuk, Formenton, Norris and Brown were straight garbage. Chlapik and Davidsson barely played but didn't look completely useless like the rest.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Preseason is pretty meaningless.

That said, the kids need to show more fire. There's spots out there up for grab....not too many opportunities to make it in the NHL, can't piss away this training camp thinking the spot is going to be gifted to you.

Preseason is absolutely worthless and no one will convince me otherwise. Been watching since 93 and I can confidently say: worthless.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Not an inspiring camp for pretty much any of the young players thus far. I guess Batherson has been the best and he's been far from outstanding. I think the concern with putting him on a line with Tkachuk has to be foot speed - they are both... plodders.

Weird and unfortunate timing for Formenton to have his weakest camp as a Senator. They may take him out west, but he won't make the team out of camp. Maybe not yet 100% from whatever he tweaked earlier in camp.

Davidsson looking shockingly poor for a guy who was a pretty decent pro in Sweden and by most accounts nearly made the Blue Jackets out of camp last year. Expect he'll be cut soon and in Belleville's camp on Monday.

Norris looks way out of game shape which I guess is to be expected. Belleville bound very soon.

I've never really been a Chlapik fan - I just can't figure out what he can do at an NHL level. He likely gets more games, but I don't see it in the cards for him. Ever.

Starting to wonder if Cody Goloubef might end up getting the 7th spot on defense. He's played the role before. Both Lajoie and Brannstrom look like they could use more AHL time.

Reactions: thinkwild

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
This team is going to struggle to score goals, but I don’t think that is necessarily a bad thing this year.

No one has kicked down the door, so I don’t think anyone can feel slighted for being sent down. Play the vets through to the deadline, and sell off what you can for picks, then call up the young guns for some bigger minutes down the stretch.

Fully expect the roster to start as:

Tkachuk-White-Brown
Duclair-Pageau-Batherson
Ennis-Anisimov-Ryan
Paul-Tierney-Boedker

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Hainsey
Boro-DeMelo-Jaros

Belleville:
Balcers-Brown-Abamov
Formenton-Norris-Davidsson

Last edited:

Grummbles

Nov 11, 2016
Near Napanee Ontario
Calling the pre-season worthless is pretty silly. Giving a gosh darn about winning games in the pre-season though, is. This is the opportunity to maybe find some kind of new chemistry with the potential future staples of this organization. Considering how many open spots we have on this team, the pre-season is pretty dang important. We get 7 games where nothing matters but trying things out. I dont think anyone here would want to start into a season guessing if amateur players will fit into the roster, let alone basic line combos.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
This team is going to struggle to score goals, but I don’t think that is necessarily a bad thing this year.

No one has kicked down the door, so I don’t think anyone can feel slighted for being sent down. Play the vets through to the deadline, and sell off what you can for picks, then call up the young guns for some bigger minutes down the stretch.

Fully expect the roster to start as:

Tkachuk-White-Brown
Duclair-Pageau-Batherson
Ennis-Anisimov-Ryan
Paul-Tierney-Boedker

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Hainsey
Boro-DeMelo-Jaros

Belleville:
Balcers-Brown-Abamov
Formenton-Norris-Davidsson
I think you're real close. I'd say Brannstrom won't make it and Lajoie will. Maybe Jaros in Belleville to start with Goloubef here to start too. Just based on how much those 2 D are playing vs Brannstrom.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Calling the pre-season worthless is pretty silly. Giving a gosh darn about winning games in the pre-season though, is. This is the opportunity to maybe find some kind of new chemistry with the potential future staples of this organization. Considering how many open spots we have on this team, the pre-season is pretty dang important. We get 7 games where nothing matters but trying things out. I dont think anyone here would want to start into a season guessing if amateur players will fit into the roster, let alone basic line combos.

No I think it’s pretty worthless. NFL teams have finally caught on and most good starters skip the entire thing completely. A guy like Chabot or Tkachuk shouldn’t even be suited up for one of these games.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
I mean, I don't think he was even close to being one of the worst guys out there tonight. Lots of rookies and vets were worse. As far as forwards go, the only guys I liked were Veronneau, Batherson and White. Duclair neutral. Tkachuk, Formenton, Norris and Brown were straight garbage. Chlapik and Davidsson barely played but didn't look completely useless like the rest.
The only reason anyone would like White tonight is because of his recent contract. That's it. He did absolutely nothing to convince me he is a lock in any top six.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
Also, for what it's worth, Brady was pissed tonight on multiple occasions. Slamming sticks on the bench, slamming doors shut etc. I get that he's frustrated but not a lot of good qualities shown tonight.

Reactions: pown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->