Post-Game Talk: Les Canadiens de Montreal vs Ottawa Senators 7:30pm [Chabot 6 Point Game Edition]

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
I’d like him more if he had a $2.5 cap hit and not a $4.75 after tonight so game. I doesn’t look like he has come into camp different (stronger, faster). Still early, hopefully he is just finding his way.... he is the second highest AAV for a forward on the team and needs to keep himself in the top 6 to justify that.

I'm just happy you finally know how to say his contract number and you're not calling him a 6M player anymore.

#Progress

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I’d argue his contract is lined up to be the 4th or 5th most important player up front
Ideally you have White as the 3C who can move up if the top six get hurt

You’d want to play him 14-16ES in a shutdown checking role
Another 2-3 a game SH

This club needs two Centers better then him
Needs two wingers better then him

The White contract is solid but he is being asked to play in a role he’s not built for... there’s significant value in what he can do defensively while providing 40-50 points in a depth role offensively

You don’t just move on from White in the present because of this missing pieces...

Like if the club drafted Byfield and a guy like Brown hit 60-70 points himself... at the same time White was beginning to emerge instead of now and signed that contract... that would be viewed as an outstanding move for this’s club...

But

Whites establishment just came a couple years earlier and signed before the two heavyweights were added

You are correct in a sense, however, if we look around the league at the other teams and what they are paying their top 6, Colin White would slot in somewhere from 4-6 on almost every other teams payroll. You would then assume that if you're getting paid top 6 money that you slot in the top 6, but is White a #2 center on most teams? The answer is probably not, and he would inevitably shift to wing on most teams to play in a top 6.

Now with that said he is not overpaid by any means (at this point in his career) and I do not think that anyone would cry foul if he solidified himself as the team's #3 centre long term at that cap hit either which from what we have seen from White thus far, he is at the very least going to be a very good #3 centre. For now though expectations are going to be relative and on this team, he is still the second highest paid forward and he will be expected to perform as such, be it fair or not.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I’d argue his contract is lined up to be the 4th or 5th most important player up front
Ideally you have White as the 3C who can move up if the top six get hurt

You’d want to play him 14-16ES in a shutdown checking role
Another 2-3 a game SH

This club needs two Centers better then him
Needs two wingers better then him

The White contract is solid but he is being asked to play in a role he’s not built for... there’s significant value in what he can do defensively while providing 40-50 points in a depth role offensively

You don’t just move on from White in the present because of this missing pieces...

Like if the club drafted Byfield and a guy like Brown hit 60-70 points himself... at the same time White was beginning to emerge instead of now and signed that contract... that would be viewed as an outstanding move for this’s club...

But

Whites establishment just came a couple years earlier and signed before the two heavyweights were added

Generally I agree with everything other than the last line. I don’t think he is quite established as a top 6 forwArd or effective 3C... I think a little (and I do mean little) more development has to happen there.

It will be interesting to see what value Duclair and C. Brown put up for $2mill vs White’s $4 mill this year.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I'm just happy you finally know how to say his contract number and you're not calling him a 6M player anymore.

#Progress

You don’t write the checks - the guys that does cares more about the check he writes that day/week/year than what he paid him 3 years earlier and how that impact the AAV for his non cap team.

When EM is going to pay Chabot $10 million he won’t say ... “who cares .. I paid him $1mill in 2019... or $7 mill in 2019... he will have to dig deep into the sofa and find $10 million to pay him. His GM will care about AAV way more than the owner of a non cap team.

For non cap teams, salaries and AAV are independent of each other.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
A pre-season game means nothing for a normal NHL team with a nearly set roster. It’s normal for established players to use these games as tune up games.

Why this game was disappointing is because the Sens have a bunch of open spots and no one in this “great group of prospects” really set themselves apart this camp. I think it just reinforces the fact that the Sens prospect pool is very average at best.

Reactions: robsenz and Cosmix

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think it just reinforces the fact that the Sens prospect pool is very average at best.

Seems a bit of a stretch. Very few good prospects make an impact early and while we lack a real top-end prospect in the system outside of Brannstrom, we have a lot of quality prospects.

We just have next to no real support for them, ideally we would allow players like White to filter through and earn their spot on the top line but we don't have anyone better so this is what happens.

However, this is also how you tank properly :laugh:

Reactions: Rand0m

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We need Byfield
A giant to carry us

I really like that kid.....but he also scares the crap out of me.

I'm no expert scout or anything like that, but so many of these big kids look great in junior, then stumble badly when put against men. Kid looks like he has all the tools...skating, hands, good vision....but it still worries me. Strength and size can hide so may flaws with these junior kids. Screwing up this pick could set the franchise back a decade.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I'm no expert scout or anything like that, but so many of these big kids look great in junior, then stumble badly when put against men. Kid looks like he has all the tools...skating, hands, good vision....but it still worries me. Strength and size can hide so may flaws with these junior kids. Screwing up this pick could set the franchise back a decade.

IMHO Byfield is legit, he might not dominate right away but he doesn't just overpower his opposition like Lazar did for example, he is smart and a great skater. He has all the tools to be a dominant number 1 centre.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
IMHO Byfield is legit, he might not dominate right away but he doesn't just overpower his opposition like Lazar did for example, he is smart and a great skater. He has all the tools to be a dominant number 1 centre.

My eyes are telling me he's legit...but then my brain has a list of guys everyone thought were legit searching for the next Lindros. Goalies are voodoo....and so are these man-childs in junior. :laugh:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Nah. He's made a couple great saves but we've probably had less real scoring opportunities than we've had PPs. They're just not generating enough to be competitive and the defense outside of Chabot is an absolute dumpster fire.
he made a few great saves when the game was close.. and when it was 0-0 especially. that changes the games.. we go 2-0 up, and things change.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Seems a bit of a stretch. Very few good prospects make an impact early and while we lack a real top-end prospect in the system outside of Brannstrom, we have a lot of quality prospects.

We just have next to no real support for them, ideally we would allow players like White to filter through and earn their spot on the top line but we don't have anyone better so this is what happens.

However, this is also how you tank properly :laugh:
I think you tank properly by investing in grey beards to surround and teach the kids. We haven’t done that at all which is why I believe we’re closer to the Oilers than the leafs so far as how quickly we are back to respectability.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rand0m

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

Totally agree
If he's going to end up like Logan Brown its not worth it passing Lafreniere or one of the Swedish terrors

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->