Leopold repalced by Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Big Phil said:
Another blow to the US defence squad. Leopold has officially pulled out of the tourny. Rookie Paul Martin takes his place. That's gotta hurt.

Yeah, imagine replacing one player with his virtual clone!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Epsilon said:
Did Paul Mara take a leak in somebody's cornflakes or something?

I agree with Mobey, he probably declined, just as Carney apparently did. I doubt it's a case of him being overlooked. Whatever the case, I don't care because Martin is a fine young player who is taking another young player's place. Pretty seamless if you ask me.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Dan Galvin said:
The injuries were my point. We can't afford to lose anyone else due to string of bad luck the past week or so.

Well, I agree. Losing Leopold and Schneider hurts big time, but Hatcher wasn't that big of a deal IMO. Martin will be a stud in this tournament. USA hockey just doesn't have the depth yet to keep plugging in stars like Canada - they're the only country with that luxury.

These players will step up.

policegopher

May 10, 2004
Minnesota
I think Martin is a great choice, and as Rabid Ranger said, he is practically Leo's clone. They played together with the Gophers and were both offensive defenseman. However, I think what put Martin over the top of Mara, is the fact he is a Minnesotan and most of USA's games will be played at the X in St. Paul. I think there are still tix available and this may put a few more people in the seats.

The people of Minnesota are extremely loyal to their own, and I think this may have something to do with the choice of P-Mart over Mara. But I'm not Knocking Martin at all. I think he is an excellent choice and am very happy for him that he made this team :banana: .

Leo, Martin, Mara and possibly Ballard are the future D-men of USA international competition IMO.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
policegopher said:
I think Martin is a great choice, and as Rabid Ranger said, he is practically Leo's clone. They played together with the Gophers and were both offensive defenseman. However, I think what put Martin over the top of Mara, is the fact he is a Minnesotan and most of USA's games will be played at the X in St. Paul. I think there are still tix available and this may put a few more people in the seats.

The people of Minnesota are extremely loyal to there own, and I think this may have something to dowith the choice of P-Mart over Mara. But I'm not Knocking Martin at all. I think he is an excellent choice and am very happy for him that he made this team :banana: .

Leo, Martin, Mara and possibly Ballard are the future D-men of USA international competition IMO.

The future US d corps looks very promising. Leopold, Martin, Mara, Komisarek, Liles, Ballard, and on and on.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Canadian_man said:
Waitaminute. Is he gona for the whole tournament??? I thought it was for a week a tops?

He probably could have played if he wanted to after a week, but it's not worth risking the rest of his career.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
nomorekids said:
coughryansutercough :D

I was waiting for someone to say it!! I tried not to mention prospects that aren't playing some form of professional hockey yet, or I would have mentioned Suter, Thelen, Johnson and so on.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Let's be honest folks, the losses of Leopold, Schneider and Hatcher (for various reasons) doesn't help the cause. In addition, Gill may be out and I don't think Weinrich should have been added in the first place. A shame that Hill and Carney didn't accept invitations, cause I feel they are more solid than even Chelios, whose inclusion on this team at his age isn't reassuring. The opponents will be banging up the likes of him and Leetch. Miller and Klee are good footsoldiers, but I only really see Rafalski as being a real gamebreaker from that blueline. I'd feel much more comfortable with any of Hill, Carney, Mara or Berard being part of the picture. Funny how Berard, Poti and Tanabe haven't been considered...... seems like Team USA instantly considered them too hazardous in their own zone, which is probably a good assumption.

I truly don't know if Martin can possibly be ready to face this level of competition.

Also, I don't see Conklin as a true alternative. So far, both Esche and Dipietro have been pretty good in these two test games.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Garfield said:
A slightly less talented clone. ;)
I don't think thats what serperated Leopold from Martin. Leopold is a little older with more experience, much tougher, stronger, and a better hitter. Offensivly I think they are close.

Vic Rattlehead*

Exeryone is talking about a future defence of Leopold, Martin, Mara, Komisarek, Liles, Ballard, and Suter for the USA, yet no one has mentioned Mark Stuart (captain of the WJC gold medal team)

Vic Rattlehead*

sveiglar said:
The question now is who replaces Gill? (broken foot last night)
Depends. If the USA wants to put an offensive d-man, I can see Berard or Liles getting the call, but the USA might want a tough d-man such as Hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->