Leonsis comments on Caps profitability

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
The Red Wings strength was their depth. Yes they had Yzerman, Fedorov, Shanahan and Lidstrom as superstars. But it was guys like Doug Brown, Kozlov, Draper, McCarty, Larry Murphy who were the reason they won. And those are the type of players who teams will lose becuase of the cap. There will always be teams willing to overpay for those types of players, much like what happened when Lapointe was signed by Boston.

And what's wrong with that?

If a team is willing to overpay a role player, or a depth guy, they are going to be less competitive.

You could argue their depth got them places, but at some point you still have to have good players at the top end to carry the team. Yes, it would have significantly hurt the team losing players of that caliber... but in the past they would've just gone out and replaced the guy by throwing money at it. Now the onus is on the team to find cheap, affordable, younger players who can do the same. It is based now on a matter of GM skill and front office talent (not to mention luck and player development by coaches) as opposed to just how many dollars you could throw at the problem. What's wrong with that?

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
Wanting equal basis for operation and the good of the league is not selfish, wanting your own favorite team to have a financial advantage over others while hurting the league is selfish.

It's all semantics anyway, here's the definition of Merriam-Webster:

1 : concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others
2 : arising from concern with one's own welfare or advantage in disregard of others <a selfish act>

Small market fans don't want an advantage for themselves, they don't want well-being WITHOUT regard for others.

If small market teams don't want an advantage for themselves, then this whole argument is moot. The advantages they realize throught the salary cap and revenue should be eliminated. Surely those small market fans, unselfish as they are, will merrily agree. They would never attempt to seek and advantage for themselves.

GSC2k2*

If small market teams don't want an advantage for themselves, then this whole argument is moot. The advantages they realize throught the salary cap and revenue should be eliminated. Surely those small market fans, unselfish as they are, will merrily agree. They would never attempt to seek and advantage for themselves.
Since we are twiddling with words now, let me throw in my two cents.

Is the seeking of the removal of a disadvantage an "advantage"?

Weary, you would seem to say "yes".

I and others would disagree.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004

What part of the definition of 'selfish' you didn't get?

concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others

Small market fans are NOT seeking on their own advantage WITHOUT regard for others.

Try again.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
And what's wrong with that?

If a team is willing to overpay a role player, or a depth guy, they are going to be less competitive.

Whats wrong is teams who draft well will be hurt. Other teams over-paying for any of your players obviosuly directly impacts your team and drives up prices for everyone else.

You could argue their depth got them places, but at some point you still have to have good players at the top end to carry the team. Yes, it would have significantly hurt the team losing players of that caliber...

Yes, it would've significantly hurt them. Instead of 3 Cups, they'd have none.

but in the past they would've just gone out and replaced the guy by throwing money at it. Now the onus is on the team to find cheap, affordable, younger players who can do the same.

But they already did find that cheap, young, affordable talent. Another team came in and made them unaffordable. Shouldn't the onus be on the other team's GM to develop that young, affordable talent for themselves? Or are a handful of teams responsible for developing everyone just like they're responsible for subsidizing the league?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Whats wrong is teams who draft well will be hurt. Other teams over-paying for any of your players obviosuly directly impacts your team and drives up prices for everyone else.

Teams who draft well will still be successful under NHL. It's just not enough, you have to be a good trader and manage assets constantly as well.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland

Yes, it would've significantly hurt them. Instead of 3 Cups, they'd have none.

But they already did find that cheap, young, affordable talent. Another team came in and made them unaffordable. Shouldn't the onus be on the other team's GM to develop that young, affordable talent for themselves? Or are a handful of teams responsible for developing everyone just like they're responsible for subsidizing the league?

You act like its just 2 or 3 teams who are the only ones who draft well.

There are more players in the NHL who are worth something beyond the guys Detroit drafts in the 111th round.

You'd really have a leg to stand on if the NHL did not protect players rights for 7 years. Teams get 7 years out of players and then they still have the option of signing them.

The point you don't seem to want to rationalize is that all teams can still have ample opportunity to go out and compete for Free Agents. The main reason behind the hard salary cap is so (read this slowly please) No team has a specific advantage as far as money is concerned for players. There is no New York Yankees who can just pay triple what everyone else can pay. Every team in the NHL can basically afford similar amounts. Therefore, it is possible for a smart GM to build a team since everyone is on the same playing field. If a GM only drafts well, they will end up uncompetitive at the end cycle of an influx of talent. A GM must do more than just draft well and overpay everyone.

A team that develops players is still going to have a significant advantage over teams that drafts poorly. If your GM is smart, they could go out and deal players they feel they can replace/can't afford, for more assets to repeat the cycle of development. If your GM is a genius at drafting players, then trade players who are closing in on free agency for picks, and start over. If that player is so irreplaceable, then lock that player up and keep the core guys around. Drafting well provides a franchise with assets they can move and convert into players at key need areas, or provide the pipeline of cheaper, younger talent. But a team must trade well, and sign cost effectively.

It really isn't that hard to grasp.

Brent Burns Beard