Leon Draisaitl vs Sebastian Aho

Drai vs Aho

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
IF they switched teams, how would their play and stats be effected? All hypothetical of course, but I could imagine Aho matching Draisatles play if he were an Oiler. And I think perhaps Draisatls stats would look more like Ahos if he were on Carolina.

I’m sure some will disagree, but I actually think they are very close talentwise. It would be hard for Aho to produce better than Draisatl is if Aho were in Edm.
Especially how Aho is getting more PK time this year. Not sure if that’s effecting his PP time, but I’d expect him to have more PPP by now.

Either way, I think Draisatl still easily has the higher offensive talent around him for now. Even when Svech and Necas turn into the studs they are destined to be, would be hard to compare them with what Oilers have in McD alone, not to mention others.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
IF they switched teams, how would their play and stats be effected? All hypothetical of course, but I could imagine Aho matching Draisatles play if he were an Oiler. And I think perhaps Draisatls stats would look more like Ahos if he were on Carolina.

I’m sure some will disagree, but I actually think they are very close talentwise. It would be hard for Aho to produce better than Draisatl is if Aho were in Edm.
Especially how Aho is getting more PK time this year. Not sure if that’s effecting his PP time, but I’d expect him to have more PPP by now.

Either way, I think Draisatl still easily has the higher offensive talent around him for now. Even when Svech and Necas turn into the studs they are destined to be, would be hard to compare them with what Oilers have in McD alone, not to mention others.

Which others?

Reactions: King 88

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Seriously? Carolina's forwards and defense are light years above the Oilers.
When you game plan for the Oilers everything is about shutting down McDavid and Drai. Full stop.
No other duo has such limited support. Aho has a lot more support both from a deep forward group and a mobile D getting the puck to him. There's a reason why Drai plays 25 minutes a night and it isn't because of those 'others' you mention. They simply don't exist.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Seriously? Carolina's forwards and defense are light years above the Oilers.
When you game plan for the Oilers everything is about shutting down McDavid and Drai. Full stop.
No other duo has such limited support. Aho has a lot more support both from a deep forward group and a mobile D getting the puck to him. There's a reason why Drai plays 25 minutes a night and it isn't because of those 'others' you mention. They simply don't exist.

Thats why he also gets so many points. If Seb would play 25min per night he would probably be the number one or two goal scorer. Now he is 3th

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Thats why he also gets so many points. If Seb would play 25min per night he would probably be the number one or two goal scorer. Now he is 3th
I don't think there are very many players in the NHL who can play 25 minutes a night at a high level tbh.
Also, if Aho was one of two forwards on Carolina who could score he'd face the other teams top shut down forwards and defense. That's a tough slog.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Which others?
I mostly meant that a McD is above any other Carolina player, now and in the future. Although I do expect Svech and Necas to eventually be around the same level as Aho, when that happens I could see Carolina having aN even greater advantage than they do now.

Neal has been a great addition for goal scoring, but I guess in comparison TT is a better player.
At the end of last season I thought RNH had figured things out to the extent he would at least be comparable to Staal, but after looking over is play so far this season, I guess he still has a ways to go. I still think he will get better as a late bloomer, but at this point, he won’t be the player many expected him to be.

The more I think about it, the more I actually think Nurse might be their 2nd best all around player. Call me crazy, but I would absolutely love my Rangers to be able to get Nurse. And As good as Ham has been for Carolina this year, I think I would personally prefer Nurse as an all around NHL player. Dudes been criminally underused in Edm until maybe this season where it looks like they are utilizing his skill more. If I were managing an NhL team, as opposed to a fantasy team, I think I’d even prefer Nurse to Draisatl.
And, I still think Nurse can get better than he is now. I’m sure I’ll get some laughs about that one.
So all around yea, Carolina has better depth. But I still think Edm could put out a complete line that matches any line Carolina could put on the ice as a total unit, with individual players not being comparable so much one to one. So more or less, the players Draisatl would actually be on the ice with the majority of time vs whom Aho would be on the ice with. But with Svech coming into his own this year, perhaps that has changed. Within the next 2 or 3 seasons, Carolina really could have 3 PPG type players with 2 or 3 60 point type players. So yea unless Edm makes some big moves they won’t compare.

But as of right now, I still think both teams could put out a relatively equal single line of 5.

Curious though, will Edm ever be able to put a deep enough team together to compete? Their overall depth is really really sad. I’d rather have Coyotes depth top to bottom which is kinda sad. The only team I think with equally bad depth is Minny, But they don’t even have the top line players.

Edm seriously do need some mid to high end prospects to piece a real team together.

Last edited:

Kofi Annan

Dec 15, 2018
Geneva
Draisaitl - but I was very impressed with Aho in the oilers-game. If he burries that chance in overtime with Leon lying on the ice, trolls would be feasting

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Right now I'd say Drai is a slightly better player. But Aho is 2 years younger. I don't think it's particularly controversial to say that to date Aho has outperformed Drai at similar ages. So when it comes to building a franchise around either, or where each will top out going forward, who knows? We're thrilled to have Aho, and I'm sure that Oil fans feel the same about Drai.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Right now I'd say Drai is a slightly better player. But Aho is 2 years younger. I don't think it's particularly controversial to say that to date Aho has outperformed Drai at similar ages. So when it comes to building a franchise around either, or where each will top out going forward, who knows? We're thrilled to have Aho, and I'm sure that Oil fans feel the same about Drai.

You’d have to be an absolute homer to take Aho over Drai at this point

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Never said I would. My point is that it's a lot tougher to compare players who are at different points in their development curve when you're considering the long run.

No it is not. Chances are that Aho will never reach the level Draisaitl is at right now. Also, how Draisaitl performed 3 years ago has no relevance on how good of a player he is today. Draisaitl is the clear cut choice here.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
No it is not. Chances are that Aho will never reach the level Draisaitl is at right now. Also, how Draisaitl performed 3 years ago has no relevance on how good of a player he is today. Draisaitl is the clear cut choice here.

It's not quite that clear to me. I'm looking at a 22yo kid who probably doesn't even have his man body yet. He's on a 47 goal pace and is one of the best 2-way players and penalty killers on his team. Generally recognized as an exceptionally smart player, and has a great work ethic. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on where to cap Aho's ceiling.

[None of which detracts from my opinion of Drai. One of the best scorers in the game right now imo.]

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's not quite that clear to me. I'm looking at a 22yo kid who probably doesn't even have his man body yet. He's on a 47 goal pace and is one of the best 2-way players and penalty killers on his team. Generally recognized as an exceptionally smart player, and has a great work ethic. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on where to cap Aho's ceiling.

[None of which detracts from my opinion of Drai. One of the best scorers in the game right now imo.]
Age is a factor but its really just one year as far as development is concerned. This is his draft plus 5 year and Drasiatl's draft plus 6 year. In Leon's draft plus 5 he had 50 goals and 105 points.

That said Aho is an incredible talent who may well out produce Leon in some parts of his career.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016

Do not care about pace, actual production is all that matters (Draisaitl is pacing for the same amount of goals and he put up 50 last season). You have one player sitting at 95 points and the other is at 56 with similar amount of games played. That is a 39 point difference, it is not even close.

Aho is a great young talent but it is highly unlikely he peaks as high as Draisaitl, however I can see Aho hitting 90 or so points. Also, let's be real here, at 22 you are pretty much fully matured. Aho may add a few pounds but it is not like he is a teenager anymore.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Lol 'slightly better'

Aho has 56 pts in 58 games
Draisaitl has 61 assists in 59 games (+ 34 goals)

Aho is 1 draft class younger than Drai, it's funny that you just round up to 2 years. Sure, Aho was a similar level to Drai in his first 2 years but so were A LOT of other players. Very few (aka just Kucherov) have made significant jumps in development like Draisaitl to become mega-stars

Reactions: dukeofjive
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad