Leon Draisaitl vs Jack Eichel 17/18

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Eichel by a bit I think. The one year age difference is significant. We should be comparing last seasons Eichel to the 51pt Draisaitl. No guarantees of course but the injuries and the focus on Matthews/Laine and McDavid this last season has pushed JE out of the light a bit. His 20 year old ppg is better than Kane, Getzlaf, Backstrom, Seguin, or Thornton to name just a few. Definitely a candidate for a non MacDavid scoring title, especially with the right complimentary linemates.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
It looks like Jack is on a hot list. I mean he's on head-to-head topics every second day against Matthews, McDavid and now Drai. The guy's a real deal.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I'm a Sabres fan so there's some wishful thinking but I think Eichel if he plays 80 games is going to have a breakout season. The Sabres under Housley will play a more offensive style and Eichel will be a major beneficiary. 80-95 point range, that's a big range.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Depends what you mean by better season. I think Eichel will be the better player next year, but their points could go either way depending on whether the Sabres can fix their even strength woes and how much Draisaitl plays with McDavid.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Draisaitl did have a 68 point pace before even put with McDavid. It's not like he's not a great player on his own.

Because power play points with McDavid don't count as playing with McDavid.

It's Eichel. Huge margin. One is a superstar, the other is a complimentary top 6 forward.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Because power play points with McDavid don't count as playing with McDavid.

It's Eichel. Huge margin. One is a superstar, the other is a complimentary top 6 forward.

Well Draisaitl is going to play with McDavid on the powerplay regardless so that's quite irrelevant to this thread. BTW, Draisaitl was a better powerplay player than McDavid.

Maybe you should be more worried about Eichel's atrocious production at ES. He ranked outside top 100 in ESP/60.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Keep underrating Draisaitl people (first it was Hall then McDavid dragging him around). WHL playoff beast. NHL playoff beast. He's going to a win a cup one day - maybe not with the Oilers.

While I think Eichel will have more points next season, I think Leon will carry his own line and score 75+ pts very soon.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
How can you all say Draisaitl was carried by McDavid after watching the playoffs?

Eichel needs to play 82 games in order to top off Draisaitl.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
How can you all say Draisaitl was carried by McDavid after watching the playoffs?

Eichel needs to play 82 games in order to top off Draisaitl.

This man knows what he's talking about. That said IMO it depends on if Leon play with McDavid or not at ES. If he centers his own line he will be getting 2nd line minutes while Eichel will be getting 1st line icetime and offensive zone pushes. If I'm picking one (assuming that they both play around 80 games) I'd take Eichel. I'm not sure that you'd find a more driven player right now that he's been in McDavid's and now Matthews' shadow. Eichel is an absolutely elite talent and he should be the better player next season.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I think Draisaitl will do well but Eichel will do great. Is Draisaitl going to play center or is he going to play on the wing with McDavid? If he is centering his own line without McDavid I don't know if I expect him to score as much as he did last season.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Eichel. Draisaitl is in a tier below with guys like schiefele

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Eichel. Better player imo, and he's already shown some pretty great scoring ability, and over extended periods. Buffalo is a dark horse pick to have a huge year imo, and if that happens, the rise of Eichel will be an irresistible storyline.

I love Drai though. I do think he is 1C quality of player with little doubt, but Eichel is on the high end of 1C

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Eichel is on another level when it comes to talent. If he didn't get picked in McDavid's draft year, he would be regarded with more respect IMO.

I think Draisaitl is great but Eichel is a near-generational talent (not quite).

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Eichel

I think Drai's point total will drop from last season, due to a combination of less time with McDavid, lower SH%, and lower OISH%

While I agree I think Eichel will have the better season, I'm confused why Draisaitl will have less time with McDavid. There's a 100% guarantee he'll be playing on the PP with McDavid and he only played just over half the season with McDavid last year at 5 on 5 (you can pretty much guarantee he'll be out there 4 on 4 and in OT with McDavid as much as possible). Unless their chemistry magically dries up I think its actually more likely he will spend more time with McDavid this year given that the Oilers now have RNH, Strome, Jokinen, and Letestu capable of playing centre on lines 2-4, with Khaira as another potential add to 4C next season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Eichel has maybe higher end skill but I think Leon has better hockey I.Q. and is built like a tank where Eichel is more of a finesse player.

If you want a bit more sizzle on your steak, it's Eichel, if you want a power forward type center, it's Leon.

For the Oilers since they already have McDavid, Draisaitl is a great fit.

Leon will be in that tier of centres that Getzlaf/Thornton/Sedin/Toews have occupied, he's the new wave of guy that will go into that tier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad