Leon Draisaitl the most underrated player in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
The original post said nothing about 5 on 5 even if that's what the intention was.

"He produced at a 2.01 P/60 away from McDavid and played more minutes away from him."

That statement as written without mentioning it's only 5v5 is wrong. That's why I said I what I said.

You could always admit you were wrong too.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I would imagine fellow Duck fans don’t under rate him. Guy is a beast against us

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Just gunna leave this here...

2017-18

McDavid with Draisaitl: 57.4 GF%
McDavid without Draisaitl: 57.8 GF%
Draisaitl without McDavid: 44.2 GF% (that's bad)

2016-17:

McDavid with Draisaitl: 59.4 GF%
Draisaitl without McDavid: 44.2 GF% (again that's bad)

The Oilers payed LD for what he can do with McDavid, they should've let him drive his own line and given him a contract based off that.
he scored 2.01P/60 at 5 on 5 away from McDavid so I can use stats too

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Marner will outscore him this season.

Put 25,000 vbucks on it?
whether twirp nation Marner outscores him or not, Draisaitl is a different type of beast. Marner might produce at his level or maybe even slightly better him(who knows ), but is he as big,strong, defensively responsible, good at faceoffs as Drai. Draisaitl's 2 way game eats Marner for lunch.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Just gunna leave this here...

2017-18

McDavid with Draisaitl: 57.4 GF%
McDavid without Draisaitl: 57.8 GF%
Draisaitl without McDavid: 44.2 GF% (that's bad)

2016-17:

McDavid with Draisaitl: 59.4 GF%
Draisaitl without McDavid: 44.2 GF% (again that's bad)

The Oilers payed LD for what he can do with McDavid, they should've let him drive his own line and given him a contract based off that.
He drove his own line in the playoffs and dominated. Last season he produced at the same rate away from McDavid as good as/better than: Eichel, Marner, Perry, Tavares, Laine, E. Kane, Wheeler, Duchene, Backstrom, Voracek, Schenn, Radulov, Seguin, Carter, Johansen, Kadri, and Crosby.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
whether twirp nation Marner outscores him or not, Draisaitl is a different type of beast. Marner might produce at his level or maybe even slightly better him(who knows ), but is he as big,strong, defensively responsible, good at faceoffs as Drai. Draisaitl's 2 way game eats Marner for lunch.

Sure if it makes you feel better.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Everyone knows they have never played on a line together.... and some people are blind and deaf.

Ignorance is bliss lol

Should be the motto for HFBoards most of the time

Drai is a fine player, but it is a very big drop production wise away from 97 (but I think many players would drop) he doesn't drive his line that well (yet) but his 200 foot game is growing, and he has improved in the faceoff dot. He is a bull, his game is not about finesse or edges, or elite playmaking. He will be a very good power forward, and in time his game will only get stronger.

This guy will be judged by the contract he signed, which is far too rich for what he provides away from McDavid.

That's why I laugh when people said Marner will get 9 or 10 million a year (I know they just want us to lose players) lol on one hand they will say Drai is better on a thread like this one, and on another they will say Marner is elite and will command 10m..... never change.

But overall I like Drai as a player, just not at the cost, which is not the players fault.

Last edited:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Ignorance is bliss lol

Should be the motto for HFBoards most of the time

Drai is a fine player, but it is a very big drop production wise away from 97 (but I think many players would drop) he doesn't drive his line that well (yet) but his 200 foot game is growing, and he has improved in the faceoff dot. He is a bull, his game is not about finesse or edges, or elite playmaking. He will be a very good power forward, and in time his game will only get stronger.

This guy will be judged by the contract he signed, which is far too rich for what he provides away from McDavid.
Every player drops when they are taken away from their best linemate. Despite what repeatedly gets posted on here this isn't exclusive to Draisaitl.

Leon Draisaitl
With McDavid: 2.65 pts/60
Without: 2.01
Difference: 0.64

Auston Matthews
With Nylander: 3.17
Without: 1.99
Difference: 1.18

William Nylander
With Matthews: 2.76
Without: 1.73
Difference: 1.03

Mitch Marner
With Marleau: 2.49
Without: 1.70
Difference: 0.79

Nikita Kucherov
With Stamkos: 3.39
Without: 2.03
Difference: 1.36

Evgeni Malkin
With Kessel: 2.49
Without: 2.27
Difference: 0.22

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Every player drops when they are taken away from their best linemate. Despite what repeatedly gets posted on here this isn't exclusive to Draisaitl.

Leon Draisaitl
With McDavid: 2.65 pts/60
Without: 2.01
Difference: 0.64

Auston Matthews
With Nylander: 3.17
Without: 1.99
Difference: 1.18

William Nylander
With Matthews: 2.76
Without: 1.73
Difference: 1.03

Mitch Marner
With Marleau: 2.49
Without: 1.70
Difference: 0.79

Nikita Kucherov
With Stamkos: 3.39
Without: 2.03
Difference: 1.36

Evgeni Malkin
With Kessel: 2.49
Without: 2.27
Difference: 0.22

Oh I agree. Lines will work on the combination of skill and chemistry.

For the record, I like Drai, I was just talking about realistic reasons he gets crapped on :)

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You could always admit you were wrong too.

Why would I admit to being wrong where I so clearly wasn't? You claimed he plays more without McDavid than with him. He doesn't. If your point was meant as 5v5, then fine, but it wasn't stated that way in your post and that wasn't what I formed my reply in response to.

And fwiw, I like Drai, believe he will prove to be a more than capable center (great even) and will be without a doubt worth the contract he was given. I also don't think him and McDavid being good together and used that way often is a negative thing. It just makes it hard to call him a bonafide top center yet based on history.

Last edited:

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
He's like every other player in HF eyes, some over rating, some under and some in between.
I guess if you found a hundred reasonable posters here who could leave bias out(no easy task there) you could get a fairly decent consensus.
Otherwise it unfortunately ends up........well, like this one and nearly every other thread at HF.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
He's not underrated at all. He's a good player but if anything he might be overrated. My friends that are Oiler fans were saying he was the Malkin to McDavid's Crosby. He's also one of the highest paid players in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad