Leon Draisaitl the most underrated player in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I did the numbers no more than 2 weeks ago and this is simply incorrect. Draisaitl played more minutes with McDavid than he did without
His numbers are correct, he is talking about 5-on-5 play. Draisaitl played 56% of the time away from McDavid, and 69% away in the final 63 games of the season.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He'll have the 15th highest cap hit in the league next year as a 23 year old. Underrated?

Definitely not the 15th best player in the league.
Good young player. Still McDavid's Robin; where the vast majority of his points come from.

Has room to grow, but big, strong guys who can skate are always appreciated in this league. Still think he's likely a 50-60 point player without McDavid holding his hand or holding down the 1C role; especially with the winger depth Edmonton has. Really wish Edmonton would have let him slip down to Calgary when they picked him at 3 (he was projected at 4).

Reactions: o6mopok

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Definitely not the 15th best player in the league.
Good young player. Still McDavid's Robin; where the vast majority of his points come from.

Has room to grow, but big, strong guys who can skate are always appreciated in this league. Still think he's likely a 50-60 point player without McDavid holding his hand or holding down the 1C role; especially with the winger depth Edmonton has. Really wish Edmonton would have let him slip down to Calgary when they picked him at 3 (he was projected at 4).
MbgDurq.gif

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I did the numbers no more than 2 weeks ago and this is simply incorrect. Draisaitl played more minutes with McDavid than he did without

And I’m using the numbers provided by Alan Mitchell (Lowetide) of the Athletic.

Posted on July 12

“Draisaitl 498 with McDavid 2.65, 628 minutes without 2.01 P/60”

This is 5v5.

So....go tell him he’s incorrect.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
His numbers are correct, he is talking about 5-on-5 play. Draisaitl played 56% of the time away from McDavid, and 69% in the final 63 games of the season.

Not according to the sites I've seen.
What are you using?

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
McDavid makes Draisaitl better, but Draisaitl also makes McDavid better too. You can see why the two worked so well if you watch the clips, they were on the same wavelength and knew where the other was going and both made some pretty plays to set the other up. You put 2 smart, skilled players together who understand each other and it's good for both.
Draisaitl is a hell of a player though, if not for being on the same team as McDavid he would be thought of a lot more highly. He was doing great the season McDavid was hurt too, albeit with Hall as a winger, but still. Lots of production from Draisaitl once he got accustomed to the NHL.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
And I’m using the numbers provided by Alan Mitchell (Lowetide) of the Athletic.

Posted on July 12

“Draisaitl 498 with McDavid 2.65, 628 minutes without 2.01 P/60”

This is 5v5.

So....go tell him he’s incorrect.

Considering there are websites that track the numbers that disagree. It's hard to know who to believe at this point tbh

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Not according to the sites I've seen.
What are you using?
Natural Stat Trick

Those are the correct numbers. Are you sure you aren't looking at even strength totals, which would include 4-on-4 and and 3-on-3? Draisaitl and McDavid are reguarly paired in those situations.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
NaturalStatTrick

Those are the correct numbers. Are you sure you aren't looking at even strength totals, which would include 4-on-4 and and 3-on-3? Draisaitl and McDavid are reguarly paired in those situations.

That's possible I suppose. I would have to look again

In either case he played like 60% of his even strength minutes with McDavid and like 100% of his powerplay. So he clearly played most of his season with McDavid on the ice. Which was really the point. Not how much was specifically 5v5

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

In either case he played like 60% of his even strength minutes with McDavid and like 100% of his powerplay. So he clearly played most of his season with McDavid on his line. Which was really the point. Not how much was specifically 5v5
Every team pairs their best players together when the game isn't being played at full strength. The original post was talking about 5-on-5 play.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

In either case he played like 60% of his even strength minutes with McDavid and like 100% of his powerplay. So he clearly played most of his season with McDavid on the ice. Which was really the point. Not how much was specifically 5v5

When assessing if a player can hold his own on a line, why would you use PP time when PP time usually pairs the best with the best.

Point is, the numbers I provided are valid and they come from a valid source.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Every team pairs their best players together when the game isn't being played at full strength. The original post was talking about 5-on-5 play.

The original post said nothing about 5 on 5 even if that's what the intention was.

"He produced at a 2.01 P/60 away from McDavid and played more minutes away from him."

That statement as written without mentioning it's only 5v5 is wrong. That's why I said I what I said.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ryan Suter has been the most underrated player in the league for like going on 10 years now.

Marner

Hi I'm Mitch
Jan 30, 2010
Ottawa
haha i dunno what vbucks are, but i doubt i have 25k of them. but sure id make that bet.
Marner had 234 min less of ice time last year and had 1 less point. Pretty safe to say playing with Tavares and getting more ice time Marner should easily pass his numbers next year.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Just gunna leave this here...

2017-18

McDavid with Draisaitl: 57.4 GF%
McDavid without Draisaitl: 57.8 GF%
Draisaitl without McDavid: 44.2 GF% (that's bad)

2016-17:

McDavid with Draisaitl: 59.4 GF%
Draisaitl without McDavid: 44.2 GF% (again that's bad)

The Oilers payed LD for what he can do with McDavid, they should've let him drive his own line and given him a contract based off that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->