Leon Draisaitl the most underrated player in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilchamp99

Jan 5, 2011
Edmonton
I guess most Oilers fans don't care if or how much Drai is underrated.
Whenever I read he's overpaid I tend to lean back and smile, though.
Draisaitl was overpaid when he signed his deal factoring in comparables but I agree with you, who cares if he is underrated. He has been dominant to start the year...if he stays healthy, I think he eclipses his point total from last year.

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Not even close to underrated on hf

Think he thought you would see Drai play verse your team and realize he is good. He did not take in to account you either did not watch after all or you can not judge talent

Reactions: PuckG

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Think he thought you would see Drai play verse your team and realize he is good. He did not take in to account you either did not watch after all or you can not judge talent

I never said he isnt good? Hes a stud, I just think some views on how much of a stud he is ends up being ridiculous

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I never said he isnt good? Hes a stud, I just think some views on how much of a stud he is ends up being ridiculous
Hes definately the next Kopitar but better offensively a little worse defensively but they play a similar style.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Which comparables signed for 8 years?

Oh don't do this! It is like you are praising ChiaGM. Let him wilt and rot into a faded memory....

We were devinely bestowed Leon. ChiaGM has nothing to do with it but a roll of the dice. ;)

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
If he was from the USA or caanada I bet he would get more praise

I’ll admit I should eat crow about draisaitl I’ve seen him do many good things without mcdavid this year.

As for your point about not being from he continent, saying Maybe if he was Canadian not sure about American he would get more praise. I think Canadian maybe But Not USA, because our captain Eichel STILL after 200 points in his last 190 games he barely gets headlines (many of them highlight reel) and he did this with a couple of serious injuries and as #1 center who before this year barely had any support, I mean he missed a Few weeks last year and still was the only player in the league in the top 25 in scoring to not have a single teammate hit 65 points. See what I mean? On the night he got five points against mcdavid s zero there wasn’t even a headline about it. The headline was Reinhart buries Oilers with game winner on a busy Saturday night. Even the other night he didn’t get a headline when he got four points the headline on tsn was Johanssons overtime goal buries habs. Yet when Matthews or Marner get two points or a winner that’s three of the top headlines.

Actually now that I say that if Drai was American he actually MAY afteralk get more headlines as you said because he plays for a Canadian team just like Matthews. I guess it’s when your American and playing for an American team you dont.

I think if he keeps this up he’s going to be respected by everyone but he’s never going to be out of mcdavids shadow, Malkin was generational and he’s sometimes an after thought due to Crosby. So that’s how it goes, I’ve seen draisaitl ranked ahead of jack in many lists by experts this year, I’d say he gets a good amount of praise but like I said with the Malkin thing. He’s never going to be the talk of the team with 97 there same way geno isn’t in Pittsburgh.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Anyone who watches the game of hockey can see he’s a fantastic player. Often looks better than McD until McD turns on the fire.

As for overrated or underrated, can’t tell.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
The obsession on this board about player A vs player B is out of control. Any given shift almost any player on the ice can outplay anyone else on the ice.

They’re all so damn close you all should just settle for tiers.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
He only produces like a top line superstar with McDavid.

In order to be considered a true Stanley Cup #1C he will need to spend an entire season away from McDavid and play at that level.
A lot of fellow Oiler fans will probably dislike me for this, but I agree with this assessment. I'm kind of getting tired of this narrative that he's as good as he is with McDavid, away from him. He quite clearly is not.

He is a very good player though, just not as good as he is with McDavid when he has to run things on his own. No one would like Drai to be that good away from McDavid more than I would, but it's just not the case. If it were our team would be in much better shape.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad