Leon Draisaitl the most underrated player in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
He also needs to be put in a position to succeed at center before we say he's a failure. People like to play stupid so they can bash him. It's not like the Oilers have a couple 20 goal scorers on the second line that Draisaitl can't put up points with.

Who is calling him a failure.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
At this point, yeah can't really call him an elite center. That being said, he is an extremely awesome compliment to McDavid.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Overrated if anything.

I mean great player and all. But like...do it for a full season not as McDavids winger. I'd imagine he would have 15 less points if that were the case.
What player going from Mcdavid to Lucic, Spooner, Kassian etc is not going to lose points?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
No, Marner is not. Slightly better but not a completely different level.

After Marner signs his extension you'll have 31 teams that would take Draisaitl over Marner. Not a diss on Marner, I've liked him since his Jr days but Draisaitl has the size and position advantage while putting up similar points. Then you add Marner's next contract which will be in the 11 million range and it's a no brainer. You can't really use the playing with Mcdavid argument because Tavares and Matthews are two of the best forwards in the league.

Reactions: yababy

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
You don't see people saying he can't center his own line? Or that because he "can't," he must be a product of McDavid and overpaid?

People who watch the games don't make these stupid comments.

Well, he has yet to actually centre a line for a full season.

I don't agree that he "can't"

But i think the criticism is fair.

He's not a product of McDavid, obviously but...he's yet to prove that he is a PPG player away from him.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
At this point, yeah can't really call him an elite center. That being said, he is an extremely awesome compliment to McDavid.
You can't call him a center period. He's absolutely abysmal centering his own line. He's a very very good winger who needs to play with a C who can drive the play.
You don't see people saying he can't center his own line? Or that because he "can't," he must be a product of McDavid and overpaid?

People who watch the games don't make these stupid comments.
He can't center his own line. And don't accuse me of not watching him because I've seen almost every game he's played in an Oilers jersey.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Well, he has yet to actually centre a line for a full season.

I don't agree that he "can't"

But i think the criticism is fair.

He's not a product of McDavid, obviously but...he's yet to prove that he is a PPG player away from him.

Saying Draisaitl hasn't centred a line for a full season is actually wrong as he played centre for his entire sophomore season and put up 51 points in 70 games. He certainly hasn't regressed since then either.

What's funny is that people ragged on Teddy Purcell that whole season but he is way better than the junk Draisaitl has centred over the last two seasons.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
After Marner signs his extension you'll have 31 teams that would take Draisaitl over Marner. Not a diss on Marner, I've liked him since his Jr days but Draisaitl has the size and position advantage while putting up similar points. Then you add Marner's next contract which will be in the 11 million range and it's a no brainer. You can't really use the playing with Mcdavid argument because Tavares and Matthews are two of the best forwards in the league.
Is Marner going to cough up the puck in the neutral zone and then coast to the bench on a change while his man goes to the net unmolested for a key goal? Thoughts on that scenario anyone?

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Is Marner going to cough up the puck in the neutral zone and then coast to the bench on a change while his man goes to the net unmolested for a key goal? Thoughts on that scenario anyone?
Not a team that wants to win and holds their players accountable!!! You think Babcock would be putting up with Drai’s less than enthusiastic defensive play?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The Toronto Maple Leafs have 3 or 4 players better than Leon Draisaitl.

You can argue 3 with only one of them putting up better numbers then Leon but how many elite seasons does Tavares have left? 4-5? Matthews, Marner and Draisaitl are vastly different players and I'm sure all 3 of them will take turns being the better player over the next 10 years.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I'll trade a few of those for a player on pace for 100 points any day of the week.

malkshake

Jan 12, 2012
Vancouver
I watch lots of Oilers and Leafs games thanks to GCL and I think Drai is better than everyone on the Leafs. I could potentially be overrating Drai but just going by what my eyes see. 8.5 looks like a steal already. Reading the comments about how his totals are inflated by McDavid is just mind numbingly awful. If it was that simple Ty Rattie would be on pace for 100 points+. Believe it or not, if you watch the games you will see how dominant Drai is in his own way.

Reactions: B33K33PING

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I watch lots of Oilers and Leafs games thanks to GCL and I think Drai is better than everyone on the Leafs. I could potentially be overrating Drai but just going by what my eyes see. 8.5 looks like a steal already. Reading the comments about how his totals are inflated by McDavid is just mind numbingly awful. If it was that simple Ty Rattie would be on pace for 100 points+. Believe it or not, if you watch the games you will see how dominant Drai is in his own way.
It's pretty obvious that Matthews and Rielly are better imo.

Marner is debatable.

No one else is close.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada

The average NHL fan might know how good he is but he's some what hidden in McDavids shadow.

(???????????) - McDavid - (???????????)
(???????????) - Draisaitl - (???????????)
(???????????) - Nugent - (???????????)
($6,000,000) - (?????) - ($3,000,000)
Get him some help then.

binop7

Jul 4, 2011
Has size but doesn't use it and Marner is the one who drives his line. For his size he's very effective defensively. Normally I would prefer the big center over the small winger but this is an exception.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
This thread is awful. A bunch of hot takes from people who either don't watch the player or can't be bothered to look at the actual stats. Close it up.

Keep moving those goal posts.
It's just another baseless argument anyway.

Hall's 5-on-5 production that season went way up once he was paired with Draisaitl.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tad Mikowsky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->