Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl - 2019 All-Star

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
So IMO it'd be unfair to expect Drai to replicate or surpass last seasons results, so what would be seen as a successful season if he's with Connor most of the season? 80ish points? Naturally I'd love a repeat performance or him and Connor being 1-2 in the NHL scoring race but those are unfair expectations and would only be gravy if it somehow were to happen.
I think somewhere around 90 points with Connor. But that might be because I expect an 80 point player away from Mcdavid.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So IMO it'd be unfair to expect Drai to replicate or surpass last seasons results, so what would be seen as a successful season if he's with Connor most of the season? 80ish points? Naturally I'd love a repeat performance or him and Connor being 1-2 in the NHL scoring race but those are unfair expectations and would only be gravy if it somehow were to happen.

I think anything in the 90 point range would be good. I'd still expect him to play 40-50% of the time away from Connor.

If he's on the top line with McDavid all season I'd still expect a drop in goals but another 100 point season isn't out of the question.

All depends who his linemates are and how much time he and McDavid spend together.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

The shooting % will very likely drop. And if Tippett actually finds a way to not have to run his top 2 guys into the ground every night to get wins, can expect the ice time to drop too, which really is a good thing. I think he ends up around 40 goals next season.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
77 point minimum with 85-90 being awesome. 100 points or more would be amazing and I dont expect that. I would be a bit sad if he got like 70-75 points (shows how spoiled we are with Mc and Drai, imagine if Horc/Gagner/Hemsky/Penner, heck even Hall most of his time here. If those guys got 75 points back in the day we would be jumping in the streets and now its the low bar)

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Draisaitl paced at 119 points if he'd played all of last year with McDavid.

If he plays the majority of the season with Connor, 100 points isnt out of the question.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

75-85 points

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I hope we dont have to play him with McD for one minute this season.

70 points plus 10 would look nice.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
What a bum McDavid is, boosted by Draisaitl

Im actually more confident that Draisaitl scores 100 without McDavid, than McDavid scores 100 point without Draisaitl. They have undenied chemistry, they have matching hockey IQ and skills for it. But McDavid suffers more without Draisaitl.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Im actually more confident that Draisaitl scores 100 without McDavid, than McDavid scores 100 point without Draisaitl. They have undenied chemistry, they have matching hockey IQ and skills for it. But McDavid suffers more without Draisaitl.
You must be the DomincBoltsFan of HFOil.

Reactions: frag2

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Except McDavid is the better player. This is no slight on Draisaitl. I am a huge fan. But it is impossible to imagine one NHL GM would take Leon over McDavid.

Last edited:
Reactions: frag2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Except McDavid is the better player. McDavid. This is no slight on Draisaitl. I am a huge fan. But it is impossible to imagine one NHL GM would take Leon over McDavid.

No commentator would either, no drafting team would obviously.

Theres a very clear, indelible, established notion that McD is miles better than Drai, and not even in the same ballpark, expressed every day almost everywhere else. But based more on primacy data than recency data.

But which player has improved that much more immensely, and does trajectory suggest its a more competitive close race than would be commonly thought?

Where does it go? I suspect Drai pushing McD is a great result for all us fans as McD will have some more to do to get better. Pretty sure McD will gladly accept any challenge and push himself ever harder.

That there is even friendly competition, and there seems to be, is great.

2,3,4 yrs ago who could think any player on this team would be even close to, or pushing McD?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Nobody would, no commentator would either, no drafting team would obviously.

But which player has improved that much more immensely, and does trajectory suggest its a more competitive close race than would be commonly thought?

Where does it go? I suspect Drai pushing McD is a great result for all us fans as McD will have some more to do to get better. Pretty sure McD will gladly accept any challenge and push himself ever harder.

That there is even friendly competition, and there seems to be, is great.
I don't disagree with this. I think these two should play together because they complement one another as well as any pair I have seen in years. That's why I say that as a dual they are the second best I have seen on the Oilers.

I've followed Leon since his first WJHC because of his connection with Rieder, who was one of my favorite prospects. I'd have taken him second in his draft and maybe even thought about first over all. So I don't need any convincing of how good he is. But McDavid can do things that no other player I have ever watched can do. As good as Leon is I can't say that about him.

Reactions: Aerrol

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Except McDavid is the better player. McDavid. This is no slight on Draisaitl. I am a huge fan. But it is impossible to imagine one NHL GM would take Leon over McDavid.

What do you mean by the second sentence: "McDavid"? I said, in my post, McDavid is the better player, skillwise. But somehow, Draisaitl really make lesser player grows. A very good skill, and a skill that belongs often to just the greatest players. McDavid may have that skill also, but he has harder to adjust, he want the play in his speed. The ultra speed. That is awesome. But he demands bigger talent around him, than Draisaitl, to get him to the highest clutch, the game where he is most productive. McDavid really gets it going when he plays with Draisaitl or Nuge.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't disagree with this. I think these two should play together because they complement one another as well as any pair I have seen in years. That's why I say that as a dual they are the second best I have seen on the Oilers.

I've followed Leon since his first WJHC because of his connection with Rieder, who was one of my favorite prospects. I'd have taken him second in his draft and maybe even thought about first over all. So I don't need any convincing of how good he is. But McDavid can do things that no other player I have ever watched can do. As good as Leon is I can't say that about him.

no worries, we're definitely on a similar page with this. But somewhere in the last couple years Drai has really increased the amount of times he's being an individual handful on a shift, almost no matter who he is paired with. Its as if he grew a bit frustrated at expressions of reliance. Which has served him very well.

As much as Messier drove Gretzky, that 2nd line had legendary help in Glenn Anderson, a near equal to Messier, and usually a solid third. When Drai is away from McD he doesn't always have great help.

What do you think happened with Rieder here in his return. He seems to always be better elsewhere. I like him too, but it was very perplexing last year seeing how snakebit he was.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
no worries, we're definitely on a similar page with this. But somewhere in the last couple years Drai has really increased the amount of times he's being an individual handful on a shift, almost no matter who he is paired with. Its as if he grew a bit frustrated at expressions of reliance. Which has served him very well.

As much as Messier drove Gretzky, that 2nd line had legendary help in Glenn Anderson, a near equal to Messier, and usually a solid third. When Drai is away from McD he doesn't always have great help.

What do you think happened with Rieder here in his return. He seems to always be better elsewhere. I like him too, but it was very perplexing last year seeing how snakebit he was.

I have no answer for Rieder. I watched him play 100+ times in junior as he played in Kitchener at a time when I watched a lot of their games. The guy was a game breaker. He and Murphy were absolute dynamite.

I wonder if the major injury he suffered was still an issue. He did not seem to have the speed he had had earlier and I think it hurt him at times. But how he could not score even once is insane.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
What do you mean by the second sentence: "McDavid"? I said, in my post, McDavid is the better player, skillwise. But somehow, Draisaitl really make lesser player grows. A very good skill, and a skill that belongs often to just the greatest players. McDavid may have that skill also, but he has harder to adjust, he want the play in his speed. The ultra speed. That is awesome. But he demands bigger talent around him, than Draisaitl, to get him to the highest clutch, the game where he is most productive. McDavid really gets it going when he plays with Draisaitl or Nuge.

That second sentence is a typo. I erased what I was going to say but missed the first word.

McDvaid can raise lesser players. He's done this his whole career. Look no further than Marron for example. But they need to have the brain to play with him. This is typically true of most great players. You also need some stability in the lines because it takes time for most players to adjust to the opportunities he creates.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I have no answer for Rieder. I watched him play 100+ times in junior as he played in Kitchener at a time when I watched a lot of their games. The guy was a game breaker. He and Murphy were absolute dynamite.

I wonder if the major injury he suffered was still an issue. He did not seem to have the speed he had had earlier and I think it hurt him at times. But how he could not score even once is insane.

Thanks. I reflected on the injury too, which took his top speed away for awhile. But his confidence looked injured too. Hockey is such a funny and weird game that is hard to explain at times. Had to be a bit weird for Rieder being a well respected German player being completely and utterly eclipsed by Draisaitl. Not that it was unexpected. I just figured Rieder could get 15 or so goals here with decent linemates or 10 without. He tended to be that kind of player that would score on counter rushes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad