Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl - 2019 All-Star

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
That's true.

I still don't think we can expect Drai to score on 21% of his shots next season though.
I agree, I just dont think the % is going to drop drastically, I dont think 15-16% is unrealistic for draisaitl.

Using his avg shooting% hes a 32 goal scorer.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Comparing his shot total to ovi is useless.

Ovechkin is a volume shooter, draisaitl isn't.

Agreed. Draisaitl is still primarily a playmaker and doesn't usually take a shot unless it is a really good chance for him, otherwise he will still look to pass to a teammate.
Playing with McDavid also helps his shooting percentage, because Connor will get him those high percentage shots.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I agree, I just dont think the % is going to drop drastically, I dont think 15-16% is unrealistic for draisaitl.

Using his avg shooting% hes a 32 goal scorer.

A 6 per cent decrease in shooting percentage and a drop of more than 20 goals is pretty drastic.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I think a lot still want to assume this is an outlier for Draisaitl instead of a positive progression the player (not that I expect him to a regular 50 goal scorer)

"Draisaitl is progressing as a player" and "this season is an outlier" aren't mutually exclusive concepts.

space321

May 11, 2011
To make up for the inevitable drop in shooting % he just has to shoot more. Start running the PP through Draisaitl (like have him shoot instead of pass) instead of RNH + Klefbom/Nurse.

He can basically play Kucherov's role on TBL's PP.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
That's true.

I still don't think we can expect Drai to score on 21% of his shots next season though.
Just like when Eberle had 70+ points, his shooting percentage showed a repeat is unlikely.

Thats my fear with next year if Drai isnt on a crazy pace first month people will be on him but there is a good chance this could be his career year.

Just dropping from 21.3% to 15.7% is pretty big and would be 10-15 goals gone (too lazy to do real math for exact number lol). Less goals usually leds to less assists as well.

The flip side of course is this isnt an outlier season and Drai isnt a 70-80 point player but actually a 90-100 point player

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Saw on the Sportsnet ticker that Drai is the first player from the 2014 draft to hit 300 points. He has 301 in 343 games (0.878 PPG). David Pastrnak (25th OA) has 271, Dylan Larkin (15th) has 202, Sam Reinhart (2nd) has 199, Nikolaj Ehlers (9th) 197, Braydon Point (79th) 195, Viktor Arvidsson (112th) 181 and Aaron Ekblad (1st) 168. Sam Bennett has 115.

Edit: Not sure who's the worst pick from the 2014 first round. Michael Dal Colle (5th) has 5 points in 27 NHL games or Connor Bleakley (23rd) with no NHL games and not even doing well in the AHL.

Last edited:

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
That's true.

He's got that quick half clapper one timer that is pretty much > 90% on net. The tendies are stopping it or it goes in. Although his dekes and setup may look unimpressive to most American/Canadian he continues to prove he can simply get the job done.

Not sure why he is constantly underrated in spite of his #'s year over year (with or without certain line-mates).

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He's got that quick half clapper one timer that is pretty much > 90% on net. The tendies are stopping it or it goes in. Although his dekes and setup may look unimpressive to most American/Canadian he continues to prove he can simply get the job done.

Not sure why he is constantly underrated in spite of his #'s year over year (with or without certain line-mates).

I don't think it's underrating him to say that he's extremely unlikely to repeat his shooting percentage again next year.

Every year the league sees a handful of guys who shoot well above their career averages and well above everyone else in the league. Those players regress the following season every single time. Every time it happens there are fans of the player who have a reason why their guy specifically wont be the guy who regresses. But they always do.

It's very unlikely that this isn't the case for Drai as well.

That being said... on the other end of "unsustainable" anyone else remember when a certain poster said Draisaitl wouldn't hit 25 ES points on the year and would finish with 50-60 points?

lol

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don't think it's underrating him to say that he's extremely unlikely to repeat his shooting percentage again next year.

Every year the league sees a handful of guys who shoot well above their career averages and well above everyone else in the league. Those players regress the following season every single time. Every time it happens there are fans of the player who have a reason why their guy specifically wont be the guy who regresses. But they always do.

It's very unlikely that this isn't the case for Drai as well.

That being said... on the other end of "unsustainable" anyone else remember when a certain poster said Draisaitl wouldn't hit 25 ES points on the year and would finish with 50-60 points?

lol
Isnt that certain poster over on the Arizona boards now? Thankfully.

Reactions: TB12 and Duke74

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Drai currently has the most points/season for a German-born player at 99 points.

Behind him are:
2. Draisaitl at 77 points (2016-17)
3. Draisaitl at 70 points (2017-18)

Media frequently lists Heatley at 103/105. Hopefully he beats that too and puts a rest to it.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Drai currently has the most points/season for a German-born player at 99 points.

Behind him are:
2. Draisaitl at 77 points (2016-17)
3. Draisaitl at 70 points (2017-18)
Whats the highest scoring german duo on the same team in history?

Its gotta be Draisaitl and Rieder with 46 goals right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad