Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl - 2019 All-Star

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
It isn't one or the other and you know that. The Oilers PP is complicated by BOTH a lack of scoring depth AND system oriented problems.

How is that conceding one point or the other?

Nor is it a matter of just simple plays. The caps for instance will work a series of passes typically before getting OV, Oshie, whoever the puck. The scheme being to get opponents to bite on puck movement allowing OV to have a clearer path to net. Its not like the Caps PP is simply passing the puck to OV and getting him to magically shoot through shot blocking. They of course divert the pk'ers before that setup occurs.

It is a matter of simple plays. The Capitals do just pass it around and look for their simple set plays on a regular basis.

They don't have some secret scheme that other teams can't catch on to.

They do the same things all the time, and other teams can't stop it because they do it at a high level.

The Oilers PP woes are almost entirely personnel and execution based as far as I can tell.

Unless you care to enlighten me on exactly where the Oilers PP system breaks down in comparison to other teams using exact details rather than generalizations.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
It is a matter of simple plays. The Capitals do just pass it around and look for their simple set plays on a regular basis.

They don't have some secret scheme that other teams can't catch on to.

They do the same things all the time, and other teams can't stop it because they do it at a high level.

The Oilers PP woes are almost entirely personnel and execution based as far as I can tell.

Unless you care to enlighten me on exactly where the Oilers PP system breaks down in comparison to other teams using exact details rather than generalizations.

I already have. The Caps had 4 players with more PP goals than ANY oiler had.

They have an all world cast of 5 players they can put out on the ice together on a PP. They have a legit D producer in Carlsson.

The Oilers don't have anything close to a complete unit they can put on a PP.

On any Oiler PP if we break up McD and Drai there is basically one person per unit that the opponent pk even has to focus on.

Conversely when the Caps are running a PP they have multiple players on that unit that can make plays.

OBVIOUSLY its much easier covering an Oilers PP and the results speak to that.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I already have. The Caps had 4 players with more PP goals than ANY oiler had.

They have an all world cast of 5 players they can put out on the ice together on a PP. They have a legit D producer in Carlsson.

The Oilers don't have anything close to a complete unit they can put on a PP.

On any Oiler PP if we break up McD and Drai there is basically one person per unit that the opponent pk even has to focus on.

Conversely when the Caps are running a PP they have multiple players on that unit that can make plays.

OBVIOUSLY its much easier covering an Oilers PP and the results speak to that.

Yeah but you switched to talking about the talent level of the personnel rather than the PP system itself.

You said that the Oilers were too easy to defend against because of their system being too simple.

I responded with the Capitals who also run a simple system and you started talking about the player's skill level and ceased talking about the system.

We can all agree that the Capitals have better personnel on the PP.

Their system isn't anymore complex than the Oilers as far as I can see.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Yeah but you switched to talking about the talent level of the personnel rather than the PP system itself.

You said that the Oilers were too easy to defend against because of their system being too simple.

I responded with the Capitals who also run a simple system and you started talking about the player's skill level and ceased talking about the system.

We can all agree that the Capitals have better personnel on the PP.

Their system isn't anymore complex than the Oilers as far as I can see.

But the Caps, by virtue of having dangerous players on a PP and including on the point open up things more just on the basis of personnel. But that said they still have to work the play correctly to get an open shot.

In fairness if you follow my posting at all its quite clear my concerns are too pronged related to this team. Personnel, and coaching. I even veer much more to the lack of personnel being the chief problem. I mean I'm front center in Chia criticism.

You've never seen me state "Scorched Earth Chia lineup"

heh

Thanks for the exchange, as always

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Well ... I hope he puts up 90+ pts.
Yes, a good target for him. He turns 23 end of October, should be settled into the NHL, and ready to break that barrier.

He has the luxury of either playing with McDavid 5on5 or PP and without McDavid as the #2 against the oppositions lesser defensive setups 5on5 or PP. Haters use this against the player, but Oiler fans should be quite happy about this fact.

Reactions: Duke74

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I've been watching Draisaitl highlights all morning and I didn't realize how good his shot is. He might be top-3 in the league when it comes to one-timers.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Good on Draisaitl. Yes, he is making an incredible amount of money over the next 8 years, but he is certainly under no obligation to give it to charity, or to spend it in the local community. Nice to see the Oilers Community Foundation contributing as well.

That's still a lot of money annually to donate.

Love him even more.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Last thread had over 1k posts.

Continue the discussion here.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
14 points in 12 games, 0.50 GPG.

The 2nd line with Reider and Chiasson has looked really good so far.

A little bit of chemistry and individual play styles that actually mesh well together goes a long way. Rieder's speed and passing combined with Chiasson's speed and finishing has really complemented Draisaitl nicely and allowed him to be the focal point and 'line driver' (as everyone keeps talking about).

Also as an aside, Caggiula did more in 1 game with McDavid than Yamamoto did in half the season on that line. Not even McDavid could 'elevate' him and make him produce. Then there's Lucic who has 1 goal in his last 29 games I believe and only 2 assists in the last 11 games despite playing 14-17 minutes a night roughly. If he were to keep that pace over 82 games he'd end up with 15 points on the season. Yet, somehow, Draisaitl was expected to produce with these two guys on his line.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
14 points in 12 games, 0.50 GPG.

The 2nd line with Reider and Chiasson has looked really good so far.

A little bit of chemistry and individual play styles that actually mesh well together goes a long way. Rieder's speed and passing combined with Chiasson's speed and finishing has really complemented Draisaitl nicely and allowed him to be the focal point and 'line driver' (as everyone keeps talking about).

Also as an aside, Caggiula did more in 1 game with McDavid than Yamamoto did in half the season on that line. Not even McDavid could 'elevate' him and make him produce. Then there's Lucic who has 1 goal in his last 29 games I believe and only 2 assists in the last 11 games despite playing 14-17 minutes a night roughly. If he were to keep that pace over 82 games he'd end up with 15 points on the season. Yet, somehow, Draisaitl was expected to produce with these two guys on his line.

Small quibble but 7G/12GP is .585 and a torrid 48 goal pace. Its damn good considering he played several games with coolers.

Remember the comments just a week or two ago that Draisaitl only ever produced with elite linemates? Odd how quickly those people disappear when the fallacy again gets dispelled. But we'll here it again the moment the line gets cold.

I still think there will be a lot of up and down times. As much as I like Rieder, like most journeyman wingers he has up and down times. Times when he struggles more. His current trouble is scoring. He's had some chances but mostly deferring. With Chiasson seems clear he's worked on his shot a lot but this percentage (like Draisaitls) is unsustainable. Pucks are just going in now. The deficit in his play is in puck control and handling. Chiasson is not a very good passer. Drai's better setups will come from Rieder or D.

Before people get too excited this is still a Chia version scorched Earth 2nd line, and its great that Drai is able to make it look good. These are at least complimentary players that are helpful.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Before people get too excited this is still a Chia version scorched Earth 2nd line, and its great that Drai is able to make it look good. These are at least complimentary players that are helpful.

He was carried by his linemates last night. The dish on the set up for Chiasson's goal was sublime, but I saw Drai bad for most of the game. Picked it up in the third, but was killing plays and turning the puck over a lot.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Small quibble but 7G/12GP is .585 and a torrid 48 goal pace. Its damn good considering he played several games with coolers.

Haha, goes to show how toast my brain is after 5 hrs of sleep :laugh:

I still think there will be a lot of up and down times. As much as I like Rieder, like most journeyman wingers he has up and down times. Times when he struggles more. His current trouble is scoring. He's had some chances but mostly deferring. With Chiasson seems clear he's worked on his shot a lot but this percentage (like Draisaitls) is unsustainable. Pucks are just going in now. The deficit in his play is in puck control and handling. Chiasson is not a very good passer. Drai's better setups will come from Rieder or D.

Yup. Definitely not counting on this to keep up forever, but nonetheless it's impressive what they've been able to accomplish so far considering neither Chiasson nor Rieder are exactly established top-six NHL guys or anything. None of them have ever scored 40 pts even. I think it goes to show just how little Drai needed to get going. People saying he can't produce without elite players when in fact he's making it work with two career 3rd liners. All he needed was some guys who were able to support the play and have some finishing ability. Lucic and Yamamoto weren't able to do either of those things.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He was carried by his linemates last night. The dish on the set up for Chiasson's goal was sublime, but I saw Drai bad for most of the game. Picked it up in the third, but was killing plays and turning the puck over a lot.

I didn't watch the entire game but in the 1st period Drai had multiple sweet setups and could've easily had 2-3 pts in that period alone with the right bounces.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I didn't watch the entire game but in the 1st period Drai had multiple sweet setups and could've easily had 2-3 pts in that period alone with the right bounces.

Exactly what I saw. What his over joyed linemates would have seen. You can see even the overjoyed expressions on Rieder and Chiasson. That they, and their agents are probably wetting themselves at the prospect of potentially landing with a Center of this quality, for this length of time. Indeed this is why as a journeyman player you would even take a flyer on an attempt here because you know that on a roster lacking starting topsix depth that theres a chance you could end up having a really good role.

In that way Chiasson has gone from an often benched and scratched Capital, only there on a PTO. To a goal scorer here getting several great feeds a night and having the best personal days of your hockey life right here. (Team experience was obviously climactic with SC last season but that was a team experience, and Chiasson was only a bit part in that) Suddenly he's scoring a mess of goals and looking like a kid in a candy shop. For Rieder I would say any chance at playing with Draisaitl is definitely why he is here and its nice for him to get occasionally rewarded with the opportunity.

These games are the best of times for players like Rieder and Chiasson and they play like they know it.

Similarly Caggiulia is invested in ensuring that his stint with McD is as long as possible. Hopefully Cagg can keep something rolling. He fit in well last night.

Reactions: Jamin

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
But but 5v5 but, if, if, if
Im not sure I get the jeering because it seems obvious to me he is playing way better then he was to start the season.

The posters saying he had more to give were right as he has upped his play at 5v5.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Im not sure I get the jeering because it seems obvious to me he is playing way better then he was to start the season.

The posters saying he had more to give were right as he has upped his play at 5v5.

If I dare say everybody should know the player has fairly unlimited immense talent. The rebukes to defend the player from false claims that they were overpaid, dependent, junk, was mere reaction to intentional misinformation regarding the player. So applauding the distortion for wanting to be wilful distortion is odd.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
as @oXo Cube stated in the last post of the previous thead;

"8 points and +7 in his last 6 games.

It's almost like everyone that was freaking out was being hilariously short sighted. "

That's why the freaking out about a star player was so sublimely ridiculous. Its as if people actually go short term mad and entirely forget all the skillsets of a player. That is only dormant at times, not gone...

Reactions: oXo Cube

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->