Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl - 2019 All-Star

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
That playoffs series got him a bump of 2Mil\yr. Without it he is a 6.5M player.
Hopefully he finds consistency this year.

I think it bumped him up another million. IIRC I was thinking that he'd come in around $7.5 million.

Reactions: Jamin

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think it bumped him up another million. IIRC I was thinking that he'd come in around $7.5 million.

PreMcDavid contract I was thinking 7 to 8 at worst. He got at least an extra .5 mill in my mind. Having said that, in hindsight, he is quickly earning that contract imo. With inflation and how good a center he is away from McDavid.

The McDavid contract combined with his playoff performance had the biggest effect on Draisaitl salary.

When you out produce the leagues best in the playoffs who then gets 12.5 how in the world do you ask for anything less than 8.5?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
PreMcDavid contract I was thinking 7 to 8 at worst. He got at least an extra .5 mill in my mind. Having said that, in hindsight, he is quickly earning that contract imo. With inflation and how good a center he is away from McDavid.

The McDavid contract combined with his playoff performance had the biggest effect on Draisaitl salary.

When you out produce the leagues best in the playoffs who then gets 12.5 how in the world do you ask for anything less than 8.5?

Well he didn't have to deal with Kesler's dog in heat dry humping his leg antics like Connor did with no help from the refs. That said I still would've liked to have seen the AAV lower. Initially I was hoping for $10 million from Connor and $7 million from Drai. Instead it cost us $4 million more for these two than my unrealistic hopes. Hopefully Drai takes another step this season and shows that he's worth every penny of his deal and then some.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Well he didn't have to deal with Kesler's dog in heat dry humping his leg antics like Connor did with no help from the refs. That said I still would've liked to have seen the AAV lower. Initially I was hoping for $10 million from Connor and $7 million from Drai. Instead it cost us $4 million more for these two than my unrealistic hopes. Hopefully Drai takes another step this season and shows that he's worth every penny of his deal and then some.
I hope this happens too. But I donno... I think he's going to be hard pressed with the group of wingers we're going to have for him. Puljujarvi (or Yamamoto) taking a big step forward into legitimate top 6 NHL winger would go a long way. But if that doesn't happen I don't know we have the horses for Leon to kill it on the 2nd line. Regardless of what tandem of wingers he has to work with this season we're probably talking about a pair of wingers that put up ~45-55 points combined last year. Unless you're Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin or now Connor McDavid, even elite players need good linemates to produce elite numbers. Drai needs someone who can make skill plays with him.

Last edited:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

because you are not even close to him in value. Even that bolded is direct result of that one playoffs series.
I guess PIT should be preparing themselves for Guentzel's upcoming 8M+ contract.
I will stick to the 2M overpayment due to the playoffs series considering others that were signed around that time.

6.5M was his worth before playoffs.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I would like Draisaitl to improve his shot selection on the PP. He became enamored with that low angle one-timer last season from deep on the right (attacking) side, which killed a lot of PP momentum. Hopefully Viveiros can coach him to improve his position before making the shot and/or find the higher percentage play.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'm predicting an 80 point season. Optimistic, but I expect with a new PP this should be where he is. Went from 27 PP points to 11 last season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I would like Draisaitl to improve his shot selection on the PP. He became enamored with that low angle one-timer last season from deep on the right (attacking) side, which killed a lot of PP momentum. Hopefully Viveiros can coach him to improve his position before making the shot and/or find the higher percentage play.

Not quite capturing this. Criticizing the one player that has actually had consistent results on the PP seems errant. If anything Drai adopted this due to how little other players were exhibiting imaginative play on the PP. In short that the PP needed some wrinkles and Drai provided them. Obviously they need more but the Drai gambit is one of the few things that actually works on our PP. I wouldn't exactly be deleting it.

and sorry, but the statement "which killed a lot of pp momentum" is word craft. It certainly isn't connected with anything that was occurring on ice, with a PP that rarely exhibited "momentum"

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Not quite capturing this. Criticizing the one player that has actually had consistent results on the PP seems errant. If anything Drai adopted this due to how little other players were exhibiting imaginative play on the PP. In short that the PP needed some wrinkles and Drai provided them. Obviously they need more but the Drai gambit is one of the few things that actually works on our PP. I wouldn't exactly be deleting it.

and sorry, but the statement "which killed a lot of pp momentum" is word craft. It certainly isn't connected with anything that was occurring on ice, with a PP that rarely exhibited "momentum"

I'm not sure why most teams don't use these types of shots more often, to be honest. Teams in general don't shoot enough on the powerplay. It's why goalies often look foolish when a shot like this actually taken, because they've become so accustomed to teams NOT shooting that they get lazy and don't commit positionally to stop shots from certain (what used to be obvious) angles. Forwards in general give too much credit to goalies for being able to stop shots and too little credit to defenders for being able to intercept cross-seam passes.

Forwards need to KISS - keep it simple stupid.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm not sure why most teams don't use these types of shots more often, to be honest. Teams in general don't shoot enough on the powerplay. It's why goalies often look foolish when a shot like this actually taken, because they've become so accustomed to teams NOT shooting that they get lazy and don't commit positionally to stop shots from certain (what used to be obvious) angles. Forwards in general give too much credit to goalies for being able to stop shots and too little credit to defenders for being able to intercept cross-seam passes.

Forwards need to KISS - keep it simple stupid.

Exactly, and excuse the pun, but to be Frank, I would rather see Draisaitl or McD shooting the puck than anybody else. I rarely feel they are wasting shots. Just that the goalie made the stop, or they were going for a spot and missed, but obviously these are our gun slingers till any others come around.

Not only is Drai taking the shots from there but he's stretching ice on a PP and this being a player just as likely to mix it up, stop up the puck and pass to the slot, or even one time it instead of taking the shot. Drai is LETHAL from the halfboards and not a bad area for him to be.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

What's wrong with constructive criticism? This isn't the criticize the PP and is numerous problems thread, it's about Draisaitl, and believe this is an area he can improve with new coaching.

On the PP you want the puck on your best playermakers' sticks. With that comes the responsibility for them to make decisions that create scoring chances. Draisaitl was trying to turn a play that should be used as a wrinkle to throw opponents off every once in awhile into a common play. The fine angle of the shot made it so that a miss often resulted in a turnover and zone clear.

Whether it was made out of frustration or desperation should be irrelevant going forward. One can both empathize with how Draisaitl was likely feeling last season, and also hope that it doesn't continue to be a play that is forced too often (similar to the Letestu one-timer).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What's wrong with constructive criticism? This isn't the criticize the PP and is numerous problems thread, it's about Draisaitl, and believe this is an area he can improve with new coaching.

On the PP you want the puck on your best playermakers' sticks. With that comes the responsibility for them to make decisions that create scoring chances. Draisaitl was trying to turn a play that should be used as a wrinkle to throw opponents off every once in awhile into a common play. The fine angle of the shot made it so that a miss often resulted in a turnover and zone clear.

Whether it was made out of frustration or desperation should be irrelevant going forward. One can both empathize with how Draisaitl was likely feeling last season, and also hope that it doesn't continue to be a play that is forced too often (similar to the Letestu one-timer).

you specifically stated that Drai taking that shot (which happened to be one of the better things ever happening on an Oilers PP) " as "killing the momentum of PP's" which is clearly an abstraction.

So that on a PP wherein players were not even moving, not even working to get open, not even with players engaged or making strong enough efforts Drai was taking the shots that were there. AS he should do when the unit itself is not engaged or properly functioning. Or when its the 2007 Sharks PP being displayed on ice in 2017 as Bieksa tactfully pointed out..

Woodcroft was probably a focal reason the PP was struggling. it had no vision.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The Letestu one-timer was fine, and a key reason why the PP worked the year before. The problem last year is that team's keyed on the fact that the Oilers had no other PP threats other than the Letestu one-timer, the Drai mid-slot tip, and McDavid stick handling himself into the crease. Those are not hard plays to take away.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
you specifically stated that Drai taking that shot (which happened to be one of the better things ever happening on an Oilers PP) " as "killing the momentum of PP's" which is clearly an abstraction.

So that on a PP wherein players were not even moving, not even working to get open, not even with players engaged or making strong enough efforts Drai was taking the shots that were there. AS he should do when the unit itself is not engaged or properly functioning. Or when its the 2007 Sharks PP being displayed on ice in 2017 as Bieksa tactfully pointed out..

To be fair he did follow up your original post with this:

"The fine angle of the shot made it so that a miss often resulted in a turnover and zone clear."

A turn over or puck leaving the zone would help kill the power play momentum no?

To be honest im not sure the point of your post. The power play sucked so Drai is immune from any constructive critisism? Yea the coaching sucks, players were static and we were all cringing that sunday game when Bieksa said that quote. Doesnt change the fact sometimes Drai made bad plays (Mcdavid did too).

He only had 11 power play points the whole season. Year before 10 pp goals and 27 points.

Woodcroft coached both years so something happened. I dislike Woodcroft as much as anyone, maybe more but the players have to own last as well so that this year isnt a repeat.

Reactions: TB12 and Aerrol

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

"The fine angle of the shot made it so that a miss often resulted in a turnover and zone clear."

A turn over or puck leaving the zone would help kill the power play momentum no?

To be honest im not sure the point of your post. The power play sucked so Drai is immune from any constructive critisism? Yea the coaching sucks, players were static and we were all cringing that sunday game when Bieksa said that quote. Doesnt change the fact sometimes Drai made bad plays (Mcdavid did too).

He only had 11 power play points the whole season. Year before 10 pp goals and 27 points.

Woodcroft coached both years so something happened. I dislike Woodcroft as much as anyone, maybe more but the players have to own last as well so that this year isnt a repeat.

He practices this shot a lot in the warm-ups and is surprisingly accurate with it. It's not something that should be his "one trick" but it can be effective.

Reactions: Aerrol

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

I think we're crossed on our terms.

First, I'm not talking about Draisaitl shooting from the half-boards, I'm talking about when he crept a few feet further toward the goal line and still tries to hit the shot at a much finer angle.

Second, I'm speaking about PP momentum in the sense that each PP starts with the momentum to score goals (although the Oilers tested that theory last season). Anyways, it's the best regularly occurring chance to score goals. The good PPs move the puck until they achieve one of their high percentage plays and then attempt to execute it (e.g., Washington and Pittsburgh are great at this). I believe the failure to set-up such plays and/or regularly trying low percentage plays causes a loss of momentum for that PP.

So if coaching is the problem (as it was with Woodcraft), then do you want players to continue executing a flawed plan or take it upon themselves to create? Last year, one could argue for the latter; however, with better coaching one should hope that Draisaitl, McDavid, and whoever are willing to stick to script more often than not. And I think that means Draisaitl using the low angle shot more sparingly because it can be disruptive to pick control when it doesn't work.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
Exactly. I actually think once Lucic is in 'Beast mode' they'll be dynamite together. My question is whether Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, or Rieder will mesh with them.
Lucic is going to crash this site with the amount of crow he's going to dump on everyone. I can't wait to see how many people suddenly act like they knew he was going to return to his career norms.

Going to be glorious.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Well I'm not convinced that this actually occurred a lot in relation to the shots that were on target or the goals scored. Scoring 6 on a year and leading the club on a season when the PP sucked is probably not the worst thing.

As for what happened the Oilers were doing some REALLY simple things looking for the magic cross ice pass for the easy snap in. Thus a guy like Letestu getting 11 goals. Nothing should scream unsustainable more than that. So that NHL clubs scouting play basically worked to take that play away.

You CAN'T work the same schemes, and especially simple schemes endlessly. That doesn't work for the Black Hawks, Kings, or us. in 16-17 the Oilers were getting very basic PP goals. Those tendencies have been scouted.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Well I'm not convinced that this actually occurred a lot in relation to the shots that were on target or the goals scored. Scoring 6 on a year and leading the club on a season when the PP sucked is probably not the worst thing.

As for what happened the Oilers were doing some REALLY simple things looking for the magic cross ice pass for the easy snap in. Thus a guy like Letestu getting 11 goals. Nothing should scream unsustainable more than that. So that NHL clubs scouting play basically worked to take that play away.

You CAN'T work the same schemes, and especially simple schemes endlessly. That doesn't work for the Black Hawks, Kings, or us. in 16-17 the Oilers were getting very basic PP goals. Those tendencies have been scouted.

Yeah you can.

Washington does the same things endlessly on their PP. They always have a top rated PP.

Short pass to Oshie in the slot.
One time pass to Carlson.
One time pass to Ovechkin.

The cross ice pass to Ovechkin in particular they have been doing for 10 years. Everyone knows it's coming. It still works.

You just have to execute at a high level.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah you can.

Washington does the same things endlessly on their PP. They always have a top rated PP.

Short pass to Oshie in the slot.
One time pass to Carlson.
One time pass to Ovechkin.

The cross ice pass to Ovechkin in particular they have been doing for 10 years. Everyone knows it's coming. It still works.

You just have to execute at a high level.

Gee imagine a PP with OV. Oshie. Kuz, Backstrom being able to work.. I also don't spot a Carlsson in our alignment.

You're comparing the Oilers shooters to the Washington Capitals? You think that is a reasonable comparison on a goals scored basis? 4 capitals had more PP goals than any oiler.

Even McD and Drai are just getting their feet wet from a goal scoring pov. We don't have any bonafide gun slingers for our Centers to pass to. This being a known for a long time.

maybe its helpful to have more than 2-3 players on a roster that can work at a high level to have a high level of execution on a PP.
If your trigger guys have been of the Letestu, Cagg, Cammy lot probably doesn't work so well.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Gee imagine a PP with OV. Oshie. Kuz, Backstrom being able to work.. I also don't spot a Carlsson in our alignment.

You're comparing the Oilers shooters to the Washington Capitals? You think that is a reasonable comparison on a goals scored basis? 4 capitals had more PP goals than any oiler.

Even McD and Drai are just getting their feet wet from a goal scoring pov. We don't have any bonafide gun slingers for our Centers to pass to. This being a known for a long time.

maybe its helpful to have more than 2-3 players on a roster that can work at a high level to have a high level of execution on a PP.
If your trigger guys have been of the Letestu, Cagg, Cammy lot probably doesn't work so well.

Well yeah. Having players that can execute at a high level doing simple plays is huge.

So you are conceding that it isn't about simple vs complex schemes then?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well yeah. Having players that can execute at a high level doing simple plays is huge.

So you are conceding that it isn't about simple vs complex schemes then?

It isn't one or the other and you know that. The Oilers PP is complicated by BOTH a lack of scoring depth AND system oriented problems.

How is that conceding one point or the other?

Nor is it a matter of just simple plays. The caps for instance will work a series of passes typically before getting OV, Oshie, whoever the puck. The scheme being to get opponents to bite on puck movement allowing OV to have a clearer path to net. Its not like the Caps PP is simply passing the puck to OV and getting him to magically shoot through shot blocking. They of course divert the pk'ers before that setup occurs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->