Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl | 19-20 Art Ross, Ted Lindsay & Hart Trophy Winner | Congrats on 500 Career Points!

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
His Carlson/Couturier omissions are just as asinine as Draisaitl/McDavid. Take his vote away for that crap.

Pretty sure Dom’s “model” had the Oilers well out of the playoffs this year
Maybe he’s salty his models were dead wrong (yes, we make the playoffs without the pause)
Someone on here during quarantine posted his results when he simulated the cancelled games based on his model. He had the Oilers missing the playoffs because of "muh numbers." The Oilers had a 5% chance of blowing their spot but I'm guessing he put no weight into that number when he ran his shitty simulator.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'm shocked Leon won them all. Shocked. Congratz.

Also shocked Josi over Carlson. That don't seem right.

Also still reeling McDavid didn't win the Masterson? Perseverance one. Regenerating like a troll should have gotten him a trophy over a leprechaun changing it's spots.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Dom from The Athletic had Matthews as his 5th Hart vote and left off McDavid and Drai

Rob Rossi left Draisaitl off his ballot.

Amazing that people pay to read this kind of garbage. The Athletic is no magic insider on sports. Just a buncha paid bloggers having their own dumb opinions.

Make some dumb models, have some Dom opinions, and get a paid gig on the Athletic. To me the Athetic its more a collection of punter windbags than anything.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Connor Mcdavid was 5th. I'm not sure how to feel about that.
Edit: Don't see Nichuskin on the list anywhere. There must be a mistake.

How on earth did McDavid get a first place vote? Why is there such a huge gap between Panarin and everyone above him? I'm glad Drai won (well it sucks being the first team with 2 hart trophy winners who won it with the same team without winning a cup) but I really don't understand the voting criteria here.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I hated a lot of what Chiarelli did but at the time I was good with Drai's contract. The people bitching and moaning about it crow is now served. Also anyone complaining when we drafted him can eat some too.

Pressure is on to keep the bar at this level. Hope he can sustain it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
How could this clown has any credibility left after this...lol

How did he get it in the first place? He's had paid gigs at Hockey News and now at the AThletic, and he's 25yrs old, has no hockey background whatsoever, is just a rube with an opinion like anybody else. but hur dur, I got some advanced stats here, "lineup and pay me"

its absolutely laughable that these wannabe statisticians (he attended journalism school) are immediately granted some kind of hockey cred on the sheer basis of some algorithm. Doesn't have to be substantiated. the results don't have to be credible, they don't even have to be plausible.

But the people that lineup to pay for junk like this, or that have given it their attention and authority for decades, are equally at fault for a lack of critical thinking in what they accept.

The worst is that this is paid news. People pay for doofuses to write crap like this.

Based on the twitter replies Dom just trolls is shit just to get hits. Same kind of trolls as "evolving wild" who are supporting him in the twitter feed, lol.

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Everyone's favourite Coyotes fan has returned and is in the Draisaitl thread on the main boards kicking and screaming about Leon's accomplishments this season. What a complete loser.

At least he has his momma’s nice, warm basement and chicken tendies to enjoy while watching highlights of the 44 games his homeboy played for his ‘favourite team’.

Coyotes have around 0 personal or team trophies to look forward to in the next 5 or so years. Wonder how long Stev-o will be able to hack it before he moves on to the next ‘stats darling’

Reactions: Del Preston

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Congratulations Leon Draisaitl, Hart Trophy and Ted Lindsay Award Winner. What an amazing ascent this player has made through natural ability, work ethic and fire to be the best. I 'saw him good' as a junior in Prince Albert and Kelowna including the Top Prospect Game. You could see the talent especially with his passing ability. I can't believe how much he has improved his skating and that he's become a top goalscorer in the NHL. Always looked like an elite playmaker. What a joy to watch players like Draisaitl and McDavid where elite talent is met with insatiable work ethic and competitive drive.

Oh and what's up with the so called Professional Hockey Writers? Not having Draisaitl on their Hart ballot eliminates any credibility that this person and others should the privilege to vote on this prestigious award. He almost ran the table with George Costanza level incompetence just missing on Carlson for the loser trifecta. Pull this award voting back to hockey executives please to avoid some of the quackery that is posing as credible experts.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I am so proud of our boy Leon Draisaitl. It's so hard to be a star player in the NHL and win awards. One of the great things about professional sports is everything is earned. Nothing is handed to you you have to work hard to win and excel. Draisaitl has earned everything he has gotten and we haven't had players as good as McDavid and Draisaitl since the 80s. The future is bright for the Oilers.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I think you can very much argue the merits of Draisaitl as a Hart Winner, for sure. Debate away.

To not even include him on your ballot? Meanwhile, you include MATTHEWS when you live in TORONTO? Don't come to me and tell me you didn't have bias on that one, Dom.

Reactions: Duke74 and TB12

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
I think you can very much argue the merits of Draisaitl as a Hart Winner, for sure. Debate away.

To not even include him on your ballot? Meanwhile, you include MATTHEWS when you live in TORONTO? Don't come to me and tell me you didn't have bias on that one, Dom.

Those in Toronto have always been this way so it's nothing new.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
At least he has his momma’s nice, warm basement and chicken tendies to enjoy while watching highlights of the 44 games his homeboy played for his ‘favourite team’.

Coyotes have around 0 personal or team trophies to look forward to in the next 5 or so years. Wonder how long Stev-o will be able to hack it before he moves on to the next ‘stats darling’
Seriously... who the f*** lives in edmonton, cheered for the oilers then switches to the yotes of all teams lmao.

Reactions: TB12

Oilers 322

Oct 26, 2016
Edmonton
Both Brian Burke and Pierre McGuire put Draisaitl and McDavid as 1 and 2 on their Hart ballots.
I used to dislike Burke for his antics as a GM while he worked for the Ducks and Leafs. He came off as an attention seeker in my opinion. That opinion changed drastically ever since he became an analyst for Sportsnet. He appears to have a great understanding of the game and just seems to be a great overall person. Watching Burke defend Ovi when everyone was calling him a choker (before he won the cup) was awesome.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
How did he get it in the first place? He's had paid gigs at Hockey News and now at the AThletic, and he's 25yrs old, has no hockey background whatsoever, is just a rube with an opinion like anybody else. but hur dur, I got some advanced stats here, "lineup and pay me"

its absolutely laughable that these wannabe statisticians (he attended journalism school) are immediately granted some kind of hockey cred on the sheer basis of some algorithm. Doesn't have to be substantiated. the results don't have to be credible, they don't even have to be plausible.

But the people that lineup to pay for junk like this, or that have given it their attention and authority for decades, are equally at fault for a lack of critical thinking in what they accept.

The worst is that this is paid news. People pay for doofuses to write crap like this.

Based on the twitter replies Dom just trolls is shit just to get hits. Same kind of trolls as "evolving wild" who are supporting him in the twitter feed, lol.

To be fair, some of the best sports journalists in print media are journalism grads who have never played their sport at a high level.

Off the top of my head, I can think of LeBrun for hockey and Gab Marcotti for soccer.

He's more of a TV journo, but I believe McKenzie is a journalism grad as well.

Reactions: frag2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad