Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl | 19-20 Art Ross, Ted Lindsay & Hart Trophy Winner | Congrats on 500 Career Points!

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
E9xlVMg.jpg

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Should he win the Hart now?

Absolutely, the nearest guy imo should be MacKinnon if not.
Its pretty laughable reading all the crap on why Drai apparently not deserving of the Hart.
bUt hE PlaYS wItH mcDaVid!!! That lazy argument never applied with Kucherov the previous year though.

Rag fans especially have been extra pathetic. Never liked that fanbase after they were so adamant that Talbot would fetch them a 1st in those trade proposals.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Yeah the push for Panarin is real. History has beat me into believing Panarin will win.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Its pretty laughable reading all the crap on why Drai apparently not deserving of the Hart.
bUt hE PlaYS wItH mcDaVid!!! That lazy argument never applied with Kucherov the previous year though.

Rag fans especially have been extra pathetic. Never liked that fanbase after they were so adamant that Talbot would fetch them a 1st in those trade proposals.

Yeah the push for Panarin is real. History has beat me into believing Panarin will win.

The Talbot thing was very funny. A large group truly believed he was worth a first+. I could have laughed off a late second round pick but a first +... They were bat poop crazy about that. I'm having trouble remembering what exactly but Florida fans are very similar in the way they grossly over value their players.

Also. I'm on record that Draisaitl will not get the Hart.

It's an anti Oiler agenda that is very very real. Started because we won too much. Then lost too much while getting lucky in the draft. Got even worse when failing to translate draft picks into a decent team. And will take years of winning again (but not too much) for a bit of that to go away. And it will never truly go away.

Combine that with population density/small market disparity and that voting media out east very very obviously don't stay up to watch Edmonton games... and any time an Oiler wins an award it is earned two times over.

Draisaitl deserves it over McKinnon and Panarin very very obviously but as is usual the goal posts will be moved and he will very likely not get it.

If he does get it I don't even know what to do. It would be shocking.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
They aren't even in playoff position, saved by COVID. If McDavid couldnt even get nominated last year then why should Panarin?

I think the narrative of Drai is just to strong. Moved to C and dragged us to playoffs, even separated from McDavid and with McDavid injured for a stretch. Also the stats. They aren't everything but a 10 point lead is impressive

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
They aren't even in playoff position, saved by COVID. If McDavid couldnt even get nominated last year then why should Panarin?

I think the narrative of Drai is just to strong. Moved to C and dragged us to playoffs, even separated from McDavid and with McDavid injured for a stretch. Also the stats. They aren't everything but a 10 point lead is impressive

I don't try and figure out voters in any realm of life.

Reactions: Aerchon

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The Talbot thing was very funny. A large group truly believed he was worth a first+. I could have laughed off a late second round pick but a first +... They were bat poop crazy about that. I'm having trouble remembering what exactly but Florida fans are very similar in the way they grossly over value their players.

Also. I'm on record that Draisaitl will not get the Hart.

It's an anti Oiler agenda that is very very real. Started because we won too much. Then lost too much while getting lucky in the draft. Got even worse when failing to translate draft picks into a decent team. And will take years of winning again (but not too much) for a bit of that to go away. And it will never truly go away.

Combine that with population density/small market disparity and that voting media out east very very obviously don't stay up to watch Edmonton games... and any time an Oiler wins an award it is earned two times over.

Draisaitl deserves it over McKinnon and Panarin very very obviously but as is usual the goal posts will be moved and he will very likely not get it.

If he does get it I don't even know what to do. It would be shocking.
I'd think it has more to do with the market factor than the others. Plus of course most writers are out east and so they just don't know players out west as much. So if there is a nuanced understanding of Panarin it can overcome surface stats.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

I blame Lebrun. He started this BS early in the season with McDavid vs Mackinnon saying how the former didn't deserve it because he's got Drai, completely ignoring Mack plays with an overall better team. Now, hes pushing Panarin hard over Drai because 'reasons'

smh

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I blame Lebrun. He started this BS early in the season with McDavid vs Mackinnon saying how the former didn't deserve it because he's got Drai, completely ignoring Mack plays with an overall better team. Now, hes pushing Panarin hard over Drai because 'reasons'

smh

And those idiots Evolving Wild along with every other spreadsheet pushing nerd living behind their mother's skirt. I wonder how much influence these stat-loving advocates actually have over the voters and whether fancy stats will come into play in the voting process.

I do agree that from the general climate of social media, the tide seems to have definitely turned in favor of Panarin. I think the reason stems from the 24-team playoff format, which, based on the first round counting in some ways as the playoffs, now makes Panarin more of a legitimate candidate. When you think about it, COVID-19 will ultimately screw Draisaitl out of a Hart Trophy.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
There are two types of players in the NHL. Those that play with McDavid and those that do not. Anyone who plays with McDavid is only successful because of McDavid. Those who do not play with McDavid are successful simply because of their own wonderfulness. That said, McDavid should not get credit for anything he does unless his team wins everything. Because if they don't win everything, how good could he really be???

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

It's a stupid argument anyway because he played MUCH better when he drove his own line away from McDavid, the fancy stats to appease the analytics crowd were MUCH better when he drove his own line away from McDavid, he played MUCH better the 7 games McDavid was out so he even got better when all the attention was on him, the TEAM played MUCH better when he drove his own line. He actually separated big time in the Art Ross race when he drove his own line and was the best player on a playoff team, better than the near consensus best player in the league.
You know what that all spells out?
H-A-R-T

giphy.gif

Damn, I wish I had the ability to merge the Deal With It Sunglass gif on to Draisaitl.

Last edited:

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
The people who are choosing Panarin or Mackinnon for the Hart are the same people who had said the Oilers had no chance of making the playoffs ahead of this season, and would need years to turn it around. They surprised everyone and earned a playoff spot largely on the back of a player leading the points race by a wide margin - with any other team/player that’s a surefire recipe for a Hart. What a damn travesty.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
The people who are choosing Panarin or Mackinnon for the Hart are the same people who had said the Oilers had no chance of making the playoffs ahead of this season, and would need years to turn it around. They surprised everyone and earned a playoff spot largely on the back of a player leading the points race by a wide margin - with any other team/player that’s a surefire recipe for a Hart. What a damn travesty.

Hopefully it doesn't end up being that way. It depends largely on how much of an influence the analytics crowd has on the writers that will actually be voting on the award.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad