Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl | 19-20 Art Ross, Ted Lindsay, & Hart Trophy Winner

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by Zaddy, Apr 14, 2020.

1. FlameChampion Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    It is a strange that a relatively unknown entity a few years ago, now how so many votes and influence on things on such a large scale. Makes you wonder how these things come along. It seems really suspect to me.

Aerchon likes this.
  2. Drivesaitl Sophisticated Sophist ;)

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    A lot of the affiliations are just with blogs. The Edmonton beat writers for The Athletic have historically just been past bloggers. Even one who was a past poster on this board.

Dom in question, who people have been citing did write for the Hockey News before, but no longer. The Athletic seems to have just hired most of their writing talent off the internet. Which raises some flags too as a legit source of news.

I dunno. I see this as The Athletic shoehorning credibility. I wonder how many other publications or sports wags are asking and having the same concerns as I am. I mean I don't like Jim Matheson but he gets one vote, and the Edmonton Journal get one vote. Matheson has been in the business for +40yrs. The EJ for over a century. Yet some upstart rag starts cornering the market on PHWA voting. Seems silly.

Behind Enemy Lines likes this.
  3. FlameChampion Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I dunno for me personally, Draisaitl has such a huge point gap over all the other forwards that I dont see how another forward could of beat him considering the way the trophy has been given out in the past (basically best offensive player whos team made the playoffs). If anything, Hellebuyck has the best case against Draisaitl imo, based on the "MVP for his team". The voting for the trophy doesnt make much sense to me though.

B33K33PING and Aerchon like this.
  4. oobga Tier 2 Fan

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Good point. Forgot about Hellebuyck. Actually, if the MVP award was a pure "MVP" thing, then I think a goalie should win it every single year. So many teams would be nothing without their #1 goalie. But yeah, it's not a pure MVP award.

Prostyle likes this.
  5. Del Preston Proctologist

SB Cash:
    $ 10,000
    Post 158. I put his head on Connor's body.

[​IMG]

6. Faelko Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 30,000
    Home Page:
    I had honestly never even heard this guys name before until today, guess I know why now...haha

TB12 likes this.
  7. Frank the Tank The Godfather

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I don't think it's suspect; it's just the reality of the hockey media in modern times. With the changing media landscape many prominent local newspapers could no longer afford their more tenured, higher profile sportswriters and let them go. The Athletic swooped in and grabbed almost all of them, placing them behind a paywall to drive revenue.

8. KlefDown I adore Soli

SB Cash:
    $ 53,174
    this is amazing. hope you don't mind but I also tweeted it. probably won't go viral because I have like 2 followers

Del Preston likes this.
  9. oobga Tier 2 Fan

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    TheAthletic must be hurting right now. I think leaving such obvious names off ballots and advertising your position with your explanation behind a paywall tells you all you need to know about the intentions here.

o98, frag2, Aerchon and 1 other person like this.
  10. Drivesaitl Sophisticated Sophist ;)

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Not exactly the case. Both the Edmonton Sun and Edmonton Journal have multiple longstanding Oilers beat writers. Collectively however only one got to vote. Not sure why that is. Most of the Athletic writers appear to be previous unknowns, as I've gathered a good sum of them being past bloggers. Which well known writers were scooped up. I read a lot of newspapers and have for 50yrs. The vast majority of the list of The Athletic writers is unknown to me.

Aerchon likes this.
  11. bucks_oil Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    It's an interesting point.

On the flip side, these writers affiliated (loosely) with the Athletic are certainly not voting as a block. Your point about the differentiation in Drai voting could easily be explained by "new skool" vs "old skool" where the Athletic tends to have more writers who value advanced stats... and we all know that Drai's advanced stats in the defensive end are not so stellar.

12. Drivesaitl Sophisticated Sophist ;)

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Thats exactly it. Its really poor form. We're trolling this opinion that is miles away from the consensus, we're even leaving Draisaitl off some of our more controversial ballots, but please subscribe to us to see how inane we are on other topics..

13. Behind Enemy Lines Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Full credit for The Athletic finding a niche in a free information world. I haven't read it. There seems to be a few quality former beat writer/journalists who I'd be interested in reading but goofiness like this NHL Award voting comes up and it seems like a smarter than everyone else vibe permeates from it and credibility takes a hit. All you need to know is to compare ballots with a career NHL hockey executive like Brian Burke's to gage legitimacy of the content provider(s). Sometime common sense ain't so common.

Taking your analytical stand is fine but it shouldn't be tied with the privilege of voting for NHL Awards.

14. Frank the Tank The Godfather

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I remember their launch announcement a few seasons back included Russo, Duhatschek, Portzline, etc...

Welcome to The Athletic NHL hub: Start the season right with a subscription to our hockey coverage.

Their expansion into other markets, scooping up sportswriters, is documented on their Wikipedia page:

The Athletic - Wikipedia

Edit: Perhaps they're gaming the system, which puts them on par with everything else in the world we now live (I'm having a cynical day).

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  15. Maverick41 Registered User Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I actually like The Athletic. Some of their writers are terrible, others are meh and then they have some really good ones. And they cover most of the sports that interest me and as far as I am concerned they do it for a fair price.

But I do disagree with the votes of several of the 48 writers affiliated with The Athletic that got to vote here, eventhough I would have been fine with any of Leon, MacKinnon or Panarin winning, at least I would not have been too upset if it had not been Leon.

In case anyone's interested this is how the Hart would have turned out if only the guys from The Athletic got to vote.

Player1st Place2nd Place3rd Place4th Place5th PlacePoints
    Nathan MacKinnon18161120353
    Leon Draisaitl1810873314
    Artemi Panarin11121634287
    Connor Hellebuyck16887123
    David Pastrnak041171094
    Connor McDavid0036942
    Roman Josi0012112
    Jack Eichel000125
    Nikita Kucherov000125
    Auston Matthews000033
    Evgeni Malkin000033
    Brad Marchand000103
    Elias Pettersson000022
    Alexander Ovechkin000011
    John Carlson000011

16. Jimmi McJenkins Win it for Cave

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Public Servant
    He probably gets damn close to 50 goals again and runs away with the scoring lead. Like, the level he's brought his game to astounds me. What a player.

B33K33PING likes this.
  17. Jimmi McJenkins Win it for Cave

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Public Servant
    Trash right there.

18. DecadeofDarkness one of the 99.95%

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Athletic have some good writers, but the majority of them are glorified bloggers who've never played the sport

19. Frank the Tank The Godfather

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I mean there always is going to be a contrarian like Stan Fischler or Dick Beddoes

TB12 and Jimmi McJenkins like this.
  20. Jimmi McJenkins Win it for Cave

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Public Servant
    Him bringing up \Malone is the height of nonsense. "Look this guy scored a bunch in the pre-war period and didn't make that much, and things are basically the same, right/"

21. Frank the Tank The Godfather

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    The point remains that Beddoes was a professional jimmy rustler and knew that slagging Gretzky was going to focus an even bigger spotlight on him. It's the early '80s equivalent of driving clicks to his website.

Jimmi McJenkins likes this.
  22. Aerchon Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    How is the Norris decided? How did Carlson not win?

It hasn't been talked about much but the Norris is mostly awarded by points and Carlson had Yosi beat by 10 and was on a record setting pace for much the year.

Sure Yosi was maybe a bit better defensively this year but imo that's a huge upset for the Norris.

I also think the Masterson? trophy should have been McDavids.

23. FlameChampion Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Just seems like for years ... best offensive dman usually gets the Norris. Then all of a sudden the voters try to outsmart themselves and get on this agenda to make someone else win. Josi is more of an offensive dman than a defensive dman. Is he really better defensively than Carlson? If he is, I dont think its that by that much. On the other side I think its fairly obvious that Hedman is probably the best overall defensemen but he didnt win either.

Good for Josi though. He is a great defenseman. I have no gripes really but the way voting is done, it doesnt make a ton of sense. I dont think the media should be voting on these trophies, most of the guys dont even watch the games (which is understandable even).

TB12, frag2 and Aerchon like this.
  24. Behind Enemy Lines Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Gawd I miss the legendary Dickie Dunn (per attachment).

Definitely a different world from columnists like Beddoes, Red Fisher and Stan Fischler. When information had gatekeepers their opinions were as large as life as they were. Beddoes's opinion on Gretzky didn't age well in the moment and most certainly not today in an era of $100 million hockey players. Gzowski's book, "The Game of Our Lives" is required reading for walking in the early footsteps of the Oil dynasty that was to become.

Quibbling a bit but a columnist's loud opinion making making is a bit different than claiming your 'science' can validate leading to a completely harebrained conclusion.

EDIT: With the bias' that are inevitably revealed through the voting process, I think the writers should be limited to awards like the Lady Byng and Masterton. Leave the big hardware decision making to hockey executives.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Aerchon likes this.
  25. Oilers 322 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Yup. I dont think Drai knows how good his one timer is. He only seems to use it when it’s an open net - one of the reason why his SH% is so high. I want to see him try and blast it by the goalie more often, especially on the power play.