Player Discussion Leon "Dr Drai" Draisaitl: The Next Episode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
So, I just finished making a montage of Leon Draisaitl's season highlights if anyone's interested.

I apologize in advance for including soundbits of Remenda :sarcasm:

The part at 2:55, if anyone says he is slow I might counter with that clip.

Great video also, awesome work.

Reactions: Zaddy

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
So, I just finished making a montage of Leon Draisaitl's season highlights if anyone's interested.

I approve.

Loved that clapper shootout goal after Henrik failed and went 0-7 (or 0-6?) lifetime.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The part at 2:55, if anyone says he is slow I might counter with that clip.

Great video also, awesome work.

Thank you :)

Speaking of speed, the part at 1:47 is one I had to watch over and over again when I edited this video. It's just unfathomable to me how much speed McDavid is able to pick up there in such a short amount of time. Like he just blows by everyone and it looks so effortless it's like he's floating out there. Having watched this kid for so many seasons now I still get blown away by how fast he is. How do you pick up so much speed in so few strides, I don't get it. Three crossovers and he's gone.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009

Great vid! Watching the number of goals where he was able to just rip-it from wide angles is a thing of beauty. Why on earth that wasn't better exploited on the PP this season is beyond me.

Reactions: Duke74

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Nice clip (and great opening song line given all the crap he's got on this board), and a good reminder (hopefully) to some that Draisaitl is an elite talent. The fact that he put up only 7 points less than last year despite missing 4 games and only having 11 power play points compared to 27 last year is pretty impressive, and he did that playing only 44% of his 5 on 5 ice time with McDavid. In a normal season where he doesn't miss any games and the Oiler's PP is not a tire fire he probably puts up 85-90 points.

I still think he can be a consistent 75-85 point player playing 2C and top PP.

Important to remember that this is just his 3rd full NHL season and his Draft+4. Consistency issues at that age are not uncommon at all in this league.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Thank you :)

Speaking of speed, the part at 1:47 is one I had to watch over and over again when I edited this video. It's just unfathomable to me how much speed McDavid is able to pick up there in such a short amount of time. Like he just blows by everyone and it looks so effortless it's like he's floating out there. Having watched this kid for so many seasons now I still get blown away by how fast he is. How do you pick up so much speed in so few strides, I don't get it. Three crossovers and he's gone.

Thanks as well. You put up most of the plays I could think of this season. I like particularly that you chose to include the hilite reel feeds Drai gave McD through the season. A lot of people only include goals and some of his great saucy plays were passes. The Av's game for instance with the spectacular goal and pass that you got in there.

I think missing though is some of his feeds to players like Strome, Khaira, for goals.

Anyway appreciated and it is interesting these are the hilites for a player so critiqued (for some reason) this season.

Reactions: Zaddy

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I'd just finished linking up some Glenn Anderson hilites the other day and so something struck me that hasn't before is that one of the reasons I like Draisaitl is how reminiscent his game is and the paths he takes and the moves in close. He's got the same in close scoring mitts. He's like a power forward version of Anderson that plays Center and is excellent at faceoffs and passes the puck extremely well. ;)

Anderson had always said he owed more of his style to the Red Army KLM line and that they made him a better, and more complete player. These were hugely controversial comments at the time and Anderson was saying that many years before his HOF speech. One of the reasons I love Anderson is how much foreign game he had in him.

I'm fascinated, always, with the different approaches to the game. That's one reason why watching Drai here is so rewarding to me is that it gives many glimpses of a different way to play the game. Leon can resemble anything from a transition midfielder to a striker. Not surprising he utilizes that kind of play and strategy given he's from Germany. ;)

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Guess who's back?
"our" boy is back in Cologne getting ready for the IIHF WC. Reppin' Oilers gear. :thumbu:

aMdxrNy.jpg

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
What's the headline say?
Er soll ein guter Junge bleiben
> means: He should stay a good boy

I would say the meaning is that he's a good guy (good character) despite being a millionaire NHL star and should stay like this.

The article is an interview with him and his father Peter who played for the Cologne pro team (Sharks/Haie).

Leon is in Cologne for a short time before heading to the IIHF WC in Denmark. The weather is very nice and sunny (high of 28 tomorrow), so I'm sure he's enjoying Spring @ home. The picture is out front of the Sharks practice arena which has ice year-round. I would guess he's getting a bit of skating in as well as visiting with family & friends. A few other German national players are skating with random teams as there is a gap between DEL and the IIHF WC schedules.

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
Did anyone else catch Gregor and Struds talking about the Nurse and Drai "situation" today?

Gregor said that Drai's injury was the result of him hitting his head on a counter-top. First time I have heard a media guy confirm what happened.

Nurse probably pushed him though, right :sarcasm:.

Interesting that they wouldn't have just come out and said that in the first place.

Don't have a link, so take it for what it's worth.

Reactions: Del Preston

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Did anyone else catch Gregor and Struds talking about the Nurse and Drai "situation" today?

Gregor said that Drai's injury was the result of him hitting his head on a counter-top. First time I have heard a media guy confirm what happened.

Interesting that they wouldn't have just come out and said that in the first place.

That (and alternate versions that get explicit) were the rumors most of the year and was pointed at as part of rumored dressing room problems. Truth is we don't know.

I've spoken to multiple different people that claim insider knowledge where the source seems reasonable where they have told me different versions of this story or even stories including Maroon. But I've also heard from someone who was a childhood friend of Nurses saying that Nurse denied anything of the sort when they went for dinner.

We probably won't ever know the truth, nor should we, but hopefully everyone's learned from it and are ready to move on.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That (and alternate versions that get explicit) were the rumors most of the year and was pointed at as part of rumored dressing room problems. Truth is we don't know.

I've spoken to multiple different people that claim insider knowledge where the source seems reasonable where they have told me different versions of this story or even stories including Maroon. But I've also heard from someone who was a childhood friend of Nurses saying that Nurse denied anything of the sort when they went for dinner.

We probably won't ever know the truth, nor should we, but hopefully everyone's learned from it and are ready to move on.
The reason I never believed it is, look at how Drai plays on the ice. He doesn't take shit from anyone. So, if Nurse punched him or something 100% Drai would punch back

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
This is the same thing my friend heard from a player on the team when it happened. Someone else also posted it on here back in October.

The punch story was BS. The puncher, location, and reason changed multiple times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74 and SourOil

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
For the Dr to operate he needs a wingman Although the options on RW are unproven at least there’s choices. On the LW Lucic is the only option and possibly in decline(one injury away from replacing RNH on McD’s left). A veteran $3M LW to compliment Drai should be priority one

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
For the Dr to operate he needs a wingman Although the options on RW are unproven at least there’s choices. On the LW Lucic is the only option and possibly in decline(one injury away from replacing RNH on McD’s left). A veteran $3M LW to compliment Drai should be priority one
Wahlstrom :naughty:

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

That reminds me of Remenda's EA sports days

"Talk about taking out the trash....he just became part of the environment"

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

To me hitting his head on a counter top sounds an awful lot like a black eye from falling down the stairs.

Honestly I do believe that someone punched him. But you can have a fight and remain friends after, and I don't think it's a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->