Speculation: Leo Komarov

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
I'm surprised your for bringing him back, tbh, given your usual opposition to any European (and in particular, Eastern European) players.

Regardless, even if he wanted to leave Moscow mid-season and join the Leafs, he does have a contract with them. We'll have the option to sign him when the KHL season wraps up in March and I'm all for it, not as a replacement for Bolland (who will likely be back by then), but as a way to bolster our team going into the playoffs. He won't have to pass through waivers because he was an RFA.

It's likely because komorov plays like a North American. Actually that's even a knock on Leo. The guy has no soul on the ice. He's ice cold with his hits and such a troll verbally. He causes absolute chaos and I think the leafs are missing him this year. He caused so much on ice drama for Orr and McLaren to finish. They've been flat this year and tbh I'd rather him be on the 3/4 line over MayRay or McClemmebt (hope we bring Komorov back and let Kuli go. MayRay/Bolland/McClemment would still be a nasty 3rd line and allows our 4th line to bring in so much energy.) but hi play wins fans over. He's not a rat. Not a dirty player in the slightest. Guy mean, tough, rutheless. Everything you want in a hockey player. No reason to hate him.

All that said, as much as I think this team needs a **** disturber like Leo. I think for the current injuries sending the 4th we got from Calgary back for stajan would be a better move. I think he's on the last year of his deal too so even sending liles and a second as insentive might be a good idea.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
With Bolland seemingly out indefinitely, I think Komarov would be a good addition for our team. Knows the system, plays a RC type of game.

Leo is also good on faceoffs, and is good defensively. Better than trading for a temp and burning an asset.

We can go, Mcclement/Kadri/Komarov/Smith until Bozak returns.

Discuss.
Leo doesn't produce offensively enough. Sure, he had his moments but the guy is a dime a dozen in the NHL. Leafs nation needs to stop falling in love with these types of players all the time.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
His style of play (hitting/forechecking) is better suited to the winger role - don't really see him being the answer to our centre issues. Good penalty killer though.

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
Leo doesn't produce offensively enough. Sure, he had his moments but the guy is a dime a dozen in the NHL. Leafs nation needs to stop falling in love with these types of players all the time.

He put up okay numbers for a bottom six winger. Not sure what kind of numbers you're expecting out of a pest/grinder who plays limited minutes. Not to mention it was his first year playing in North America.

Komarov was also a vital part of one of the best PK's in the league last year. His skating, abilty to cause havoc by getting under the other teams skin and the way he finishes every check is sorely missed on this years team. He pretty much excelled at everything that's expected from a player in his role. He's basically the exact opposite of a dime a dozen.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
I don't see a better option for us right now, the Marlies don't have anyone remotely as good as Komarov, he knows the system, is a great team guy, is popular with our club, and he doesn't cost us a player or prospect.

He's a 3rd liner, and that is exactly what we need to replace Bolland. Who knows maybe he will be even better in his second year for us.

Bolland's injury means 3.375 is off the books, and it seems he is gone for awhile. If we offer Komarov a fair contract, I think he would consider it.

I don't think he ever wanted to leave, we just couldn't afford him.

You can rest assure if I thought about it, Nonis has.

Even if Nonis has thought about it, luckily he's smarter than you and wouldn't make an offer in desperation like you want to

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
I'd LOOOOOVE for Komarov to be back. The team has become so soft without him. The sardine sisters and their nucks walked all over us last Saturday. One of the key reasons we cracked our playoff drought last season was being one of the toughest teams in the league. If we don't get that toughness back, we could be in for another 18 wheeler.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Bring back Komarov.

I've never seen a Leaf rack up hits like him. Great skater too. His hit stats were stupid, and he hit hard. Loved how he always created something on the forecheck. Kind of like Kulemin.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I wish he came back... Guy was awesome, got under opposing teams skins, was good on PK, and most importantly hit everything in site.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
He put up okay numbers for a bottom six winger. Not sure what kind of numbers you're expecting out of a pest/grinder who plays limited minutes. Not to mention it was his first year playing in North America.

Komarov was also a vital part of one of the best PK's in the league last year. His skating, abilty to cause havoc by getting under the other teams skin and the way he finishes every check is sorely missed on this years team. He pretty much excelled at everything that's expected from a player in his role. He's basically the exact opposite of a dime a dozen.
The guy is a 4th liner. I liked him too and the way he played but lets face it, he's a dime a dozen in this league and we need to stop gushing over these types of players.

Komarov was replaceable on the PK as shown that the PK is just as good without him. He played about 30 seconds more than Bozak for 6th on the team in PK minutes.

McClement - 176
Phaneuf - 149
Kulemin - 105
Gunarsson - 96
Fraser - 90
Komarov - 76
Bozak - 75:30
JVR - 57

I'm not saying he was bad but my goodness people overrate these types of players too much

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The guy is a 4th liner. I liked him too and the way he played but lets face it, he's a dime a dozen in this league and we need to stop gushing over these types of players.

Komarov was replaceable on the PK as shown that the PK is just as good without him. He played about 30 seconds more than Bozak for 6th on the team in PK minutes.

McClement - 176
Phaneuf - 149
Kulemin - 105
Gunarsson - 96
Fraser - 90
Komarov - 76
Bozak - 75:30
JVR - 57

I'm not saying he was bad but my goodness people overrate these types of players too much

Leo Komarov had 176 recorded hits in only 42 games last year at 13mins a game, he also had 3 GW goals. He is hardly a dime a dozen. He also played on the 3rd line and he did all this in his first year in the NHL. You don't think he could do better after having a season under his belt?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leo Komarov had 176 recorded hits in only 42 games last year at 13mins a game, he also had 3 GW goals. He is hardly a dime a dozen. He also played on the 3rd line and he did all this in his first year in the NHL. You don't think he could do better after having a season under his belt?

Komarov made the Leafs a tougher team and less enjoyable to play against last year. Leafs do miss him in that respect.

However he is not an option THIS YEAR as he is under contract to the KHL, therefore unavailable. He said he might be and hopes to return to the NHL next year assuming a contract can be worked out.

Bolland's injury has nothing to do with Komarov however, as a solution for this current season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Komarov made the Leafs a tougher team and less enjoyable to play against last year. Leafs do miss him in that respect.

However he is not an option THIS YEAR as he is under contract to the KHL, therefore unavailable. He said he might be and hopes to return to the NHL next year assuming a contract can be worked out.

Bolland's injury has nothing to do with Komarov however, as a solution for this current season.

The point is he is an option when the KHL season is over, and, I don't know exactly what the logistics are with KHL/NHL transfers but Leafs have a wad full of money that a Russian team would bite on if he wanted to be released before the season is over. Radulov was brought back by Nashville for a playoff run, so I don't see how he is not available this year.

You don't think Komarov can fill a role on the bottom 6 here with Bolland's season in doubt? The KHL is a higher league than the AHL, he is better than any player on the Marlies right now. Where last year Eakins made him one of the leaders of the team when he arrived.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
*sigh*

Matt Martin had 234 hits , 4 goals , 7 assists , 1 GWG and 12 minutes
Rich Clune had 159 hits , 4 goals , 5 assists 1 GWG and 9 minutes
Kyle Clifford had 155 hits , 7 goals , 7 assists 1 GWG and 10 minutes
Zac Rinaldo had 143 hits , 3 goals , 2 assists , 1 GWG and 8 minutes
Ryan Reeves had 135 hits ,4 goals, 2 assists ,1 GWG and 7 minutes
Derek Mackenzie had 122 hits , 3 goals , 5 assists , amd 1- ,omites

You can find plenty of players that can replicate what he brought, do you really want to over pay for more hitting? And there are plenty of penalty killers in the league that can replace him if its that important to you. He's replaceable , sorry to break it to you

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
*sigh*

Matt Martin had 234 hits , 4 goals , 7 assists , 1 GWG and 12 minutes
Rich Clune had 159 hits , 4 goals , 5 assists 1 GWG and 9 minutes
Kyle Clifford had 155 hits , 7 goals , 7 assists 1 GWG and 10 minutes
Zac Rinaldo had 143 hits , 3 goals , 2 assists , 1 GWG and 8 minutes
Ryan Reeves had 135 hits ,4 goals, 2 assists ,1 GWG and 7 minutes
Derek Mackenzie had 122 hits , 3 goals , 5 assists , amd 1- ,omites

You can find plenty of players that can replicate what he brought, do you really want to over pay for more hitting? And there are plenty of penalty killers in the league that can replace him if its that important to you. He's replaceable , sorry to break it to you

Disagree, how many know the system we play, was already popular in the room, were NHL rookies last year, had 3 GWG, and does not cost us a prospect or pick to acquire?

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I still maintain that not playing Komarov when we were holding the Game 7 lead was a stupid decision. He should've been on the ice instead of Van Riemsdyk when Boston tied.

leafstilldeath*

LOL just imagined

Bolland, Clarkson and Komarov on the same team in the playoffs LOL. That is giong to be one BIG pest on each line lol this will be fun if it ever happened

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Supposedly over $3million US. He is not coming back :(

EDIT: Rumours is we offered 1.3. He may come back one day, but he is going to make his nut overseas first.

If 3 million is accurate that is crazy money for a player of his skillset. Considering the little taxes he'd pay in Russia it makes it even crazier that he'd earn that much.

I'm betting Komarov looks to come back to North America next year as a UFA in the hopes an NHL team offers him a ridiculous contract.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Yet another example of Leaf fans getting hung up on mediocre players. Let him go. He doesn't want to be here for what the Leafs wanted to pay him. My guess is he'll back in the NHL next year playing for someone else.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
He hasn't shown anything to suggest he could center a third line successfully in the NHL. I wouldn't mind him on the fourth line centering one of the face punchers but not for anything over a mil.

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto
Even if Nonis has thought about it, luckily he's smarter than you and wouldn't make an offer in desperation like you want to

Lol way to blow the suggestion out of proportion. :handclap:

Whats desperate and risky about this idea? Even if you offered him a $1.5Mil deal, pro-rated at game left this season, it would be peanuts.

Very low risk, no assets lost, just some cap room spent which with all the injuries we already carry is totally ok.

Good suggestion IMO and should be explored.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad