Speculation: Leo Komarov

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
With Bolland seemingly out indefinitely, I think Komarov would be a good addition for our team. Knows the system, plays a RC type of game.

Leo is also good on faceoffs, and is good defensively. Better than trading for a temp and burning an asset.

We can go, Mcclement/Kadri/Komarov/Smith until Bozak returns.

Discuss.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
With Bolland seemingly out indefinitely, I think Komarov would be a good addition for our team. Knows the system, plays a RC type of game.

Leo is also good on faceoffs, and is good defensively. Better than trading for a temp and burning an asset.

We can go, Mcclement/Kadri/Komarov/Smith until Bozak returns.

Discuss.

We have his NHL rights but I doubt he signs with us considering he's making way more in Russia. Only chance we get him is for a playoff run in March a la Radulov.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
What would be the technical way to get him to play for us again at this point? Just simply have him sign a contract?

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Would we like to have him? No doubt. Would he come here to eventually play 3rd/4th line minutes, while at the same time giving up russian oil money. I wouldn't bet on it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Leo Komarov ✔ @LKomarov

Thank you Leafs organization,fans and all my komrades in Toronto for the opportunity you gave me.I have my own reason to go to Khl and i
hope everybody will understand it. I really loved Toronto and i wish them all the best and i hope i will bee back..#wannabeecorporal
5:40 PM - 10 Jun 2013

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
How much Ruskie money is he making in an year?

Supposedly over $3million US. He is not coming back :(

EDIT: Rumours is we offered 1.3. He may come back one day, but he is going to make his nut overseas first.

DemLeafs

Oct 28, 2013
Komarov is not on the Marlies and gunning for a shot with the Leafs. He is also not some inanimate tool to be used at the Leaf's disposal.

If you consider the fact that Komarov has a brain and the ability to evaluate his options, you'd realize there is no chance he comes to play for the Leafs under current circumstances.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Holy. I know that doesn't mean jack **** in terms of NHL performance, but good on him. :handclap:

I don't see a better option for us right now, the Marlies don't have anyone remotely as good as Komarov, he knows the system, is a great team guy, is popular with our club, and he doesn't cost us a player or prospect.

He's a 3rd liner, and that is exactly what we need to replace Bolland. Who knows maybe he will be even better in his second year for us.

Bolland's injury means 3.375 is off the books, and it seems he is gone for awhile. If we offer Komarov a fair contract, I think he would consider it.

I don't think he ever wanted to leave, we just couldn't afford him.

You can rest assure if I thought about it, Nonis has.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Honestly he would be a great fit to fill in for Bolland, can't see him leaving that pay in Russia yet though, but I do think he'll be back in the NHL someday.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Getting Leo back right now isn't even an option. The leafs put him on the 4th line and payed him garbage compared to what he was making in the KHL while on the 1st line. And the 0.001% chance that he comes back, he's going to be on that 4th line again once Bozak and Bolland are healthy.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I'm surprised your for bringing him back, tbh, given your usual opposition to any European (and in particular, Eastern European) players.

Regardless, even if he wanted to leave Moscow mid-season and join the Leafs, he does have a contract with them. We'll have the option to sign him when the KHL season wraps up in March and I'm all for it, not as a replacement for Bolland (who will likely be back by then), but as a way to bolster our team going into the playoffs. He won't have to pass through waivers because he was an RFA.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He's a fourth liner, maybe a third. I'd like to have him back but he's making stupid money in Russia. $3 million for Leo is insanity.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Komarov's KHL stats this season.

24GP, 8G, 11A, 19Pts. +7 20PIMS

Exactly, he is under contract to the KHL and his NHL rights owned by the Leafs. The NHL and KHL honour contracts in each league. He has an out clause for next year to return to the NHL if he signs a contract.

How do you suggest he get out of his current contract in the KHL this year?

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Bring him back after the Olympics. He was a much better forward that the minutes he got with the leafs. He should have played more in the playoffs as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad