LeNevue, Harding, Howard..

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
I don't know, I have never seen any of these guys play, so I don't know. How 'bout we throw Lundqvist, and Blackburn in? Please?

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
PhoPhan said:
David LeNeveu
Josh Harding
Jimmy Howard

Totally agree. Everything i've read about LeNeveu has been overwhelming positive.

Lundquist i'd put right above Harding. He really raised his stock at the World Championships this month. I wouldn't know where to put Blackburn. Maybe even with Harding.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Captain Conservative said:
Totally agree. Everything i've read about LeNeveu has been overwhelming positive.

Lundquist i'd put right above Harding. He really raised his stock at the World Championships this month. I wouldn't know where to put Blackburn. Maybe even with Harding.
I would put Lundqvist and Blackburn #1 and #2, but I'm a HUGE homer. I want to see what everyone else thinks of Blackburn and Lundqvist.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I haven't seen Harding but I really don't think LeNeveau is as far ahead of Howard as some of you make him out to be. In fact, while I admit I'm no expert when it comes to these kinds of things, I could see Howard being better than LeNeveau. I've seen LeNeveu a couple of times in both the NCAA and the AHL and I think he's somewhat overrated.

PhoPhan- Have you seen Howard at all?

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
In his lone starting year at Cornell, LeNeveu broke all kinds of records (most of which once held by Ken Dryden) and was the ECAC Co-MVP. He was a Hobey Baker finalist, too, I believe, as a sophomore. This year, his rookie year in the AHL, he was the lone bright spot on a terrible Springfield team, and was an All-Star. You'll never see him make a huge save, because he is always in position. You'll never see him let up a soft goal either.

Hockeypuck

PhoPhan said:
In his lone starting year at Cornell, LeNeveu broke all kinds of records (most of which once held by Ken Dryden) and was the ECAC Co-MVP. He was a Hobey Baker finalist, too, I believe, as a sophomore. This year, his rookie year in the AHL, he was the lone bright spot on a terrible Springfield team, and was an All-Star. You'll never see him make a huge save, because he is always in position. You'll never see him let up a soft goal either.
Howard broke LeNeveu's NCAA records for gaa and sv% this year.
EDIT: Actually LeNevue had the gaa record and Ryan Miller had the save% record.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Howard also broke Maine's career shut out record this past season. Considering how tough the competition is in Hockey East, that's no small feat. Granted not all of Howard's shutouts were against HE teams, but a good number was. Furthermore (as I've mentioned over on the Wings board), Howard went 11 consecutive games back in Dec-Jan where he only allowed 8 goals.....all on the power play.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Oilers Chick said:
Howard also broke Maine's career shut out record this past season. Considering how tough the competition is in Hockey East, that's no small feat. Granted not all of Howard's shutouts were against HE teams, but a good number was. Furthermore (as I've mentioned over on the Wings board), Howard went 11 consecutive games back in Dec-Jan where he only allowed 8 goals.....all on the power play.

OC, I respect your opinion on collegiate hockey players as much as anyone else's. Of the three goalies, who do you think has the best potential?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I guess I will be the odd duck, and I have seen Leneveu and Howard, but disappointingly never have watched Harding live.

From what I have seen, I like Howard first, then Leneveu and with the consensus of Harding being lesser then Leneveu, he would be third.

Howard just seems to be cool all the time, never rattled, great positioning and very athletic. (Am I going to argue with a .956 Save percentage and 1.19 GAA?)

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
PhoPhan said:
OC, I respect your opinion on collegiate hockey players as much as anyone else's. Of the three goalies, who do you think has the best potential?

Thank you. I can only give you potential for LeNeveu and Howard, since I have yet to see Harding play (and from what I've read, he sounds like the real deal).

Between the two aforementioned players I have seen, both are very good and have lots of potential. As good as Howard has been, quite frankly, I don't think he has reached his full potential yet. LeNeveu IMO has done all he could (outside of winning a national title for Cornell) at the collegiate level and I'm really glad to see that he's already proving himself at the AHL level. I would say they both have very good potential. It's very difficult for me to say who is better because I think both are exceptional goaltenders.

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
I agree with Oilers Chick's last post. I think Howard can become even more dominant. I saw him live at the Frozen Four in Boston and came away very impressed. Watching LeNeveu in 2003 I came away less impressed. Of course, it was only one game I saw LeNeveu, the semifinal in Buffalo against UNH, and he might have just had an off day. He looked good, but not all-world or anything.

Howard, on the other hand, made several ridiculous saves in both Boston games. Plus his 3OT win in the Hockey East championship (saw it on TV) was outstanding as well. It will be interesting to see how he responds to being the full time starter at Maine, since so far in his career he was splitting time with now-graduated Frank Doyle.

But at this point I put Howard above LeNeveu, easily.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
PMP5030 said:
I agree with Oilers Chick's last post. I think Howard can become even more dominant. I saw him live at the Frozen Four in Boston and came away very impressed. Watching LeNeveu in 2003 I came away less impressed. Of course, it was only one game I saw LeNeveu, the semifinal in Buffalo against UNH, and he might have just had an off day. He looked good, but not all-world or anything.

Howard, on the other hand, made several ridiculous saves in both Boston games. Plus his 3OT win in the Hockey East championship (saw it on TV) was outstanding as well. It will be interesting to see how he responds to being the full time starter at Maine, since so far in his career he was splitting time with now-graduated Frank Doyle.

But at this point I put Howard above LeNeveu, easily.

The number of ridiculous saves should not be used to judge a goalie, because the only time a ridiculous save would need to be made is when a goalie is out of position. LeNeveu never has that problem. Ever. This is why he is the ideal goalie for Benoit Allaire to groom.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
PhoPhan said:
The number of ridiculous saves should not be used to judge a goalie, because the only time a ridiculous save would need to be made is when a goalie is out of position.

I know what you're saying, but that's over-stating things. You can't always just stand in position and hope the puck hits you. Crazy deflections, two on ones, breakaways, rockets to the top corner, there are numerous situations where reflexes and raw skill are needed to make a big save.

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
PhoPhan said:
The number of ridiculous saves should not be used to judge a goalie, because the only time a ridiculous save would need to be made is when a goalie is out of position. LeNeveu never has that problem. Ever. This is why he is the ideal goalie for Benoit Allaire to groom.

See PecaFan's post above. Howard's positioning is very good, which is why both BC and Denver tried to get him moving side to side in Boston. He stoned several of those chances, which are the saves I'm referring to. That's a big reason why he only gave up 2 goals in those 2 games. Montoya, by way of comparison, is more of a reflexive goaltender whose positioning is not as well-developed as Howard's.

And LeNeveu is never, ever out of position?? Hardly. Heck, the 1 game I saw him play live he gave up 2 goals to Steve Saviano that would normally have been routine saves I'm sure. He didn't look sharp that day, that was easy to tell.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I'd put Harding above LeNeveu. Honestley.

Most of you have not likely seen Harding play, expect for his one game in the WJCs. Other than that, in which he earned a shutout, I have seen him play mutliple times, and I must say, he is amazing. The Regina Pats were one of the worst teams in the entire CHL, yet they made the playoffs mostly every year, and that's because of one individual-Josh Harding. People saw how much Regina needed Harding when he left for the WJCs, and Regina won like two games. The only reason they made the playoffs this year, other than Harding, is the Saskatoon Blades. Unless he has a tough time moving away from home next year(which is very possible), he should have an awesome rookie year next year, one that I'd think would be better than LeNeveu's.

I've also seen that away from the WHL board, he gets next to no recognition. A Wild fan, yes a Wild fan, went as far as selecting a goalie in a mock draft(Montoya, I think) saying the Wild needed a future goaltender. I sure hope he tears it up next year, so he'll finally get the credit he deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad