Leneveu's future?

Svatos4MVP

Apr 21, 2006
What do you guys think of David LeNeveu? He's Phoenix's top goalie prospect and backed up Joseph last year. He did a decent job posting a 3.24 GAA, .886 SV%, and going 3-8-0-2. What kind of potential do you think he holds? Will he be a journeyman goalie like Burke/Cloutier or can he become a solid #1 goalie like Fernandez/Joseph? Thanks for your thoughts!

FlyersProspect2

Jun 14, 2004
Chicopee, Ma
From seeing him in Springfield, I'll say he will be a solid number one starter that can steal games for his team. He was very good on a very bad Springfield team and that was a few years ago. He's since then developed even more. Phoenix in my opinion should have him be their number one and just have a veteran for an occasional start.

Transported Upstater

rt said:
Phoenix has pretty much put all of their chips in on Lenny. If he flops, the organization is in serious trouble.

Hopefully he can do for you for what he did for my alma mater for two years.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
rt said:
Phoenix has pretty much put all of their chips in on Lenny. If he flops, the organization is in serious trouble.
Let's hope Pelletier can recover from his injuries from last year and develop over the next several. They traded up in the second round to take him so must have seen some potential. Other than that, if Lenny doesn't work out quite as well as planned they would need to go the F.A. route which would just leave them in the same situation as several teams right now.

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
I think hes going to be a journeyman starter, I can't see him being a consitant starting goalie. He just wasn't "That" good in his breif stint this season. David LeNeveu will get every shot with the Coyotes this season As Gretzky has publically said they are going to give LeNeveu a legitamite chance next season.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
44_bertuzzi_44 said:
I think hes going to be a journeyman starter, I can't see him being a consitant starting goalie. He just wasn't "That" good in his breif stint this season. David LeNeveu will get every shot with the Coyotes this season As Gretzky has publically said they are going to give LeNeveu a legitamite chance next season.

I completely disagree with you. LeNeveu has the potential to be a very good NHL goaltender. He won't be a perennial all-star, but has the potential to be one of the top 2nd tier goalies who could make an all-star game or two before it is all said and done.

Basing your opinion of his brief stint on a horrible Coyotes team really isn't fair is it? How many goalies are "that" good in their first experiences at the NHL level on bad teams? Not to mention that he didn't exactly get a chance to get any kind of rythmn since Gretzky would play CuJo for 5-8 straight, play Lenny for 1 and then back to CuJo for a stretch.

The guy has yet to play on a good team in his professional career and has still managed to put up very good numbers at the AHL level. Given the opportunity to get regular playing time, LeNeveu will be just fine in the NHL. I would truly like to see what kind of numbers he could produce on a good team.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
pelts35.com said:
I completely disagree with you. LeNeveu has the potential to be a very good NHL goaltender. He won't be a perennial all-star, but has the potential to be one of the top 2nd tier goalies who could make an all-star game or two before it is all said and done.

Basing your opinion of his brief stint on a horrible Coyotes team really isn't fair is it? How many goalies are "that" good in their first experiences at the NHL level on bad teams? Not to mention that he didn't exactly get a chance to get any kind of rythmn since Gretzky would play CuJo for 5-8 straight, play Lenny for 1 and then back to CuJo for a stretch.

The guy has yet to play on a good team in his professional career and has still managed to put up very good numbers at the AHL level. Given the opportunity to get regular playing time, LeNeveu will be just fine in the NHL. I would truly like to see what kind of numbers he could produce on a good team.

I have a hard time he'll be ever an all star. He will be a solid number #1 but nothing more IMO.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
J17ster said:
I have a hard time he'll be ever an all star. He will be a solid number #1 but nothing more IMO.
Seeing all of the goalies that are now having success in the NHL that hadn't shown great potential before they were a little older I have a tough time understanding how anyone could really know or formulate much of an opinion either way.

Default101

everyone lately seems to be impatient with goaltender development, Fleury is 21, he's going to be incredable, Miller up untill this year is a perfect example instead of bringing him up they went Biron/Noronen untill Miller was fully ready, and i think one more year of Joseph/Sauve will help set things up for LeNeveu, Joseph will retire, and hopefully they keep Sauve around as he's got good potential and should keep LeNeveu on his toes knowing there's another goaltender capable of taking his spot if he doesn't perform, i'm a fan of the Coyotes, and i'm happy with thier goaltender situation, i think they'll pick someone up this year or next i've seen alot of Coyotes scouts at Sarnia Sting games, and they seem to like their players, if i predicted one team for VanBuskirk to land it would be Phoenix, they've drafted several players from there, including his older brother Ryan, i think a goaltending tandem of LeNeveu/VanBuskirk in 6 years would project to be potentially like Miller/Biron although consider he hasn't even been drafted i shouldn't speculate that much, but i think LeNeveu should wind up a goaltender a step behind Miller in skill.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I think the Joseph signing is perfect for the Coyotes and Leneveu. I can imagine he is a great mentor for Leneveu and should be able to hold the fort in Phoenix until Leneveu can completely take the reins which may not be too long. That is definitely a good goaltending tandem for a team in somewhat of a rebuilding stage IMO.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
for some reason when I think Leneveu I think Vokoun. I think he is gonna be underated for a long time and steal his team wins.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
What's funny is back in November Al Strachan was touting LeNeveu as a potential darkhorse candidate to be the starting goalie for the U.S. squad at the Olympics.

Of course it never dawned on Al that LeNeveu is Canadian. Classic stuff.

akanabar

May 27, 2006
I think David LeNeveu will become a solid number one, taking over the starting job in Phoenix from Curtis Joseph in a year or two. He went from being an outstanding collegiate goalie at Cornell in a defense-oriented system to being thrown to wolves with lousy AHL teams in Springfield and Utah. LeNeveu has shown flashes of brilliance at both the AHL and NHL level, which is about all you can expect from a 23 year old goalie.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Alberta Yote said:
Seeing all of the goalies that are now having success in the NHL that hadn't shown great potential before they were a little older I have a tough time understanding how anyone could really know or formulate much of an opinion either way.

The goalies who are having great success in the NHL now. Guys like Lundqvist, Ward, Lehtonen, Fleury etc had all shown potential of being good starters or stars. Not all goalies can become stars, infact Leneveu may not even become a regular starter. I don't see him becoming an all star, i may be wrong.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
J17ster said:
Guys like Lundqvist, Ward, Lehtonen, Fleury etc had all shown potential of being good starters or stars.

How has LeNevue not shown the potential to be a good starter, or a star? Are you crazy, or just making stuff up?

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
rt said:
How has LeNevue not shown the potential to be a good starter, or a star? Are you crazy, or just making stuff up?

Read what i quoted originally man.

"Seeing all of the goalies that are now having success in the NHL that hadn't shown great potential" - Game, set, match.

Read what i wrote as well. I said i think he'll become a solid starter, but not an all-star. Not every prospect can become a star.

Transported Upstater

hbk said:
What's funny is back in November Al Strachan was touting LeNeveu as a potential darkhorse candidate to be the starting goalie for the U.S. squad at the Olympics.

Of course it never dawned on Al that LeNeveu is Canadian. Classic stuff.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

At least half (usually noticeably more) of Cornell's team is Canadian, basically all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad