Lemieux vs McDavid

Which player has/had more skill?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I tend to agree but did we have a season when both Jagr and Mario had full seasons together in their prime?

When Mario made his final comeback, he appeared to be the better of the two, even though he was in his mid-30s and couldn't stay healthy. For me, that's enough to say that a 25 year-old Lemieux was on a different tier. Mario, at 36, was still the guy you'd want in a Game 7, out of anybody in the league. Maybe not over the course of a season by then, because health was obviously a major issue. But in terms of talent? Lemieux's on a tier with Gretzky and Orr, and they really have no peers.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Mario obviously.

McDavid is the most gifted player from a talent perspective since The Magnificent One though.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
McDavid is the much, much faster skater, but it ends right there.
Lemieux was the type of guy who made hall-of-famer d-men look like a bunch of 2nd pairing ahlers. He was a freaking force of nature, and in my mind, the only other player who could claim to be on par with 99. All the skills in the world, in a 6'4" body.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I tend to agree but did we have a season when both Jagr and Mario had full seasons together in their prime?
95-96. Jagr 149 points in 84 games, Lemieux 161 points in 70 games (189 point pace). That's with Jagr playing on a stacked 2nd line with Francis and Nedved getting easier matchups while Lemieux played with Sandstrom and a rookie Naslund.

Ppg leaders in the 90s:

Lemieux 2.06
Gretzky 1.37
Lindros 1.35
Jagr 1.32
Lafontaine 1.30

1990s NHL Scoring Leaders

Rogue Winger

Mar 10, 2018
Mario's elite shot (with a wide shot selection) alone makes this AINEC for Lemieux. Supermario had a better hockey IQ and was a better stickhandler and passer too. Size is not a skill, so I'm not going there.

McDavid is faster than Lemieux and that's about it.

McDavid could make a bit better career than Crosby, but even if he does, he is still staying much closer to Crosby tier than anywhere near the Lemieux/Gretzky/Orr tier. (Yeah I know, many thinks Gretzky have his own tier, but talent wise he is not above Lemieux and Orr)

e: typos

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
When Mario made his final comeback, he appeared to be the better of the two, even though he was in his mid-30s and couldn't stay healthy. For me, that's enough to say that a 25 year-old Lemieux was on a different tier. Mario, at 36, was still the guy you'd want in a Game 7, out of anybody in the league. Maybe not over the course of a season by then, because health was obviously a major issue. But in terms of talent? Lemieux's on a tier with Gretzky and Orr, and they really have no peers.

I'd say Jagr was better by then. Lemieux got the accolades but Jagr outscored him in their games together, and Jagr's possession game was better for keeping the puck out of he net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad