Leland Irving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaneuf_for_calder

Apr 20, 2006
Calgary
I really don't follow the CHL much and I'm curious as to what Sutter might have seen in Irving. There were many forwards available so there must have been something... There's no ratings or anything on this site, so I really have no idea of knowing how good Irving will be.

So, in the opinion of anyone on these message boards, what will Leland Irving end up as? Will he be able to fill Kipper's shoes one day? I doubt he'll ever be a Vezina trophy winner, but will he be in the NHL's top five? Top ten? Top fifteen? Will it be another Kris Chucko-esque pick? Is there anything special about him at all?

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I think Irving was an excellent pick and definetaly has number one goalie potential, unlike the Chucko pick it was not a reach at all. I think he is currently a better goalie than both Dubnyk and Price despite being younger.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Irving is the best goalie from this draft, bar none. He has sick reflexes and plays a similar game to Cam Ward (another WHL player).

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Irving is an excellent goalie prospect. Should become a top 10-15 starter in the future. Sick reflexes, and one of my favourite goalie prospects to watch.

Whingman

Nov 1, 2005
I saw him play a number of times and even in games where he lost I still walked away impressed with his play. I do believe that if all goes right Irving will become a solid starter in the NHL and while some may call where he was drafted a reach I believe drafting Irving where he was will be viewed as an astute pick up in the years to come.

Glen Erickson

Oct 16, 2005
I really don't follow the CHL much and I'm curious as to what Sutter might have seen in Irving. There were many forwards available so there must have been something... There's no ratings or anything on this site, so I really have no idea of knowing how good Irving will be.

So, in the opinion of anyone on these message boards, what will Leland Irving end up as? Will he be able to fill Kipper's shoes one day? I doubt he'll ever be a Vezina trophy winner, but will he be in the NHL's top five? Top ten? Top fifteen? Will it be another Kris Chucko-esque pick? Is there anything special about him at all?

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

More info on Irving in our "WHL 2006 Entry Draft Review" at: www.hockeysfuture.com ;)

Lunatik*

everything I have heard has only been good things about irving.. i keep hearing that most teams had Irving as the #1 goaltender in teh draft... Chucko on the other hand was the Flames taking a risk and trying to find a diamond in th rough by taking a played who isnt on the radar of other clubs... the flames did the same with with Morris when they took him in the 1st round

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
everything I have heard has only been good things about irving.. i keep hearing that most teams had Irving as the #1 goaltender in teh draft... Chucko on the other hand was the Flames taking a risk and trying to find a diamond in th rough by taking a played who isnt on the radar of other clubs... the flames did the same with with Morris when they took him in the 1st round

I love Chucko. Hard worker, IMO Chucko reminds me of Adam Deadmarsh without all the injuries. You guys got a STUD in Chucko. I've seen him play, and he's so underrated.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
I love Chucko. Hard worker, IMO Chucko reminds me of Adam Deadmarsh without all the injuries. You guys got a STUD in Chucko. I've seen him play, and he's so underrated.

I've walked away from Chucko thinking Deadmarche as well, glad I'm not the only one. He has a long way to go, last season was a bust for the most part. Hopefully he gets back on track in the AHL tihs eason.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
My personal opinion is that he has a good shot at being one of the cornerstones of the Calgary franchise. It's a great pick IMO.

The down side is it's always a little risky taking goalies and he could end up just average but at 20 something a real good pick. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him as Canada's goalie in the WJC U-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->