Leipold" "Foreigners can be replacement players"

Status
Not open for further replies.

transplant99

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
From todays Tennessean...

Some observers have argued that U.S. labor laws won't allow for replacement players from foreign countries, and that certain provincial Canadian labor laws ban the use of replacement workers.

But Leipold says his legal counsel tells him otherwise on both counts.

''That is inaccurate information, according to what I've been told from labor lawyers,'' he said. ''Replacement players can be anybody, from Europe to Alaska or anywhere else. It's also my understanding that they can play in all 30 markets.

''American players went over to Europe to take the European players' jobs (during the lockout). So isn't it common sense that after being displaced from their own jobs, couldn't they come over here and fill the jobs of their American counterparts?''

http://www.tennessean.com/sports/predators/archives/05/01/66371015.shtml?Element_ID=66371015

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Aside from the fact the majority of the NHLPA members are foreigners themselves!

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Every word spoken about replacements players is a waste of air. Every word written about replacements players in papers is utter waste of both ink and paper. :help:

Its only a shallow tactic to scare the players... Its not possible to shake up 600 players that are willing to be scabs. There needs to be some quality.

The big question should be, how stuipid are the press who keeps writing about this?

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
transplant99 said:
''American players went over to Europe to take the European players' jobs (during the lockout). So isn't it common sense that after being displaced from their own jobs, couldn't they come over here and fill the jobs of their American counterparts?''
How does someone this stupid get to be a billionaire?. NHL players in Europe aren't replacements because there's no work stoppage in Europe..

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
I'm for replacement players - as long as they don't come out of the SEL. First the NHL conflict screws things up for all the younger players wanting to break into the SEL, then if the NHL starts again all our good players will leave, leaving us with 4th liners, juniors and unmotivated NHL:ers?

I don't like it. :shakehead

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003

Jesus, what a nimrod. No, it's not the same, because the American players aren't replacing locked out (or striking) European players, and European labor law is different anyway.

Canadian labor law is pretty much written in stone. This guy should explain exactly how NHL replacement players would be able to circumvent it.

SENSible1*

JWI19 said:
This belongs in the dumb things said during the lockout. And IMO it's right up there with Modano and his dog.

Unless of course the NHL lawyers have found a loophole.

vopatsrash

Dec 9, 2004
EndBoards said:
How does someone this stupid get to be a billionaire?. NHL players in Europe aren't replacements because there's no work stoppage in Europe..

He didn't say the NHL players are replacement players in Europe in the quote, he just said they took some jobs. I'm sure he is well aware of the difference.

What I read into it was that he was taking a sarcastic dig at NHLPA members playing in Europe, and it was more of a comment on what he perceives as the hypocrisy of them taking people's jobs, then complaining about "scabs."

''That is inaccurate information, according to what I've been told from labor lawyers,'' he said. ''Replacement players can be anybody, from Europe to Alaska or anywhere else. It's also my understanding that they can play in all 30 markets."

That would certainly go against everything we've read about the topic, and my guess is that this is wrong info, but I don't own an NHL team and consult with labor lawyers, so perhaps there is a loophole(s) that we don't know about, or perhaps <gasp> the media might be misinformed about what they're writing about on the topic. We certainly haven't seen any of that since the start of the lockout.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Thunderstruck said:
Unless of course the NHL lawyers have found a loophole.

A loophole where? For what purpose? There is no way to start a league with replacement players... If the PA don't cave in who would play? Give me a name? Retired players? Who is that Steve Larmer or Mark Messier? Yeah right... Players from Europe, ok who are they? Give me a name! 99% of the players in Europe are signed no latter then may. I can't think of a single swede who went unsigned into July this last summer... NHL could sign these players because they had a agreement with the IIHF, that agreement is history... So who are left, players from the CHL, AHL, ECHL and the UHL? Well I doubt any good prospects would be willing to be scabs, no matter if they play in the AHL or CHL. So who is left? 600 players from the UHL/ECHL and some from veterans from the AHL. Oh man that is gooing to be some product... :lol

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The winner of the Hart Trophy in 05/06 iiiiiiisssss Val Kamensky!!! O´boy Bettmans plan of a new start of the NHL sure is gooing to be successfull!!!!!!!

Seriously a league with scabs isn't happening. Why don't media get this? :lol

Whats up with Al Stratchan, he can't seriously belive himself what he is writing... :teach:

SENSible1*

Ola said:
A loophole where? For what purpose? There is no way to start a league with replacement players... If the PA don't cave in who would play? Give me a name? Retired players? Who is that Steve Larmer or Mark Messier? Yeah right... Players from Europe, ok who are they? Give me a name! 99% of the players in Europe are signed no latter then may. I can't think of a single swede who went unsigned into July this last summer... NHL could sign these players because they had a agreement with the IIHF, that agreement is history... So who are left, players from the CHL, AHL, ECHL and the UHL? Well I doubt any good prospects would be willing to be scabs, no matter if they play in the AHL or CHL. So who is left? 600 players from the UHL/ECHL and some from veterans from the AHL. Oh man that is gooing to be some product... :lol

I'm not sure why I'm bothering, but your post is based on the assumption that the NHL makes its move after the European's have been signed and that no PA members would cross.

I'm not sure either assumption has any merit.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
You know, these billionaires might not be so smart...but they do have the money to hire people that ARE smart, people who are paid a lot of money to find loopholes every single day.

It's no sure thing to be sure, but to cavalierly dismiss out of hand the possibility of replacement players might be putting the cart before the horse a bit.

If anything, that little stunt yesterday with those guys offering to buy the entire league should be a reminder that this thing could have plot twists that nobody, not even the message board lawyers, have thought of yet. This could get interesting.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
I swear I remember reading something about someone in Montreal government saying that the law restricting replacements had specific wording exempting professional sports teams. I can't find it now, unfortunately.

Seems like the law is rarely black and white, especially when it comes to business. I wouldn't be surprised at all if some very smart lawyers believe there are few barriers to replacement players in all 30 markets. They still might be wrong, though.

hubofhockey

Aug 14, 2003
In the interest of accuracy, isn't it about time we referred to NHL players now employed overseas as, Displacement Players?

kpd/hoh

SPARTAKUS*

Ola said:
The winner of the Hart Trophy in 05/06 iiiiiiisssss Val Kamensky!!! O´boy Bettmans plan of a new start of the NHL sure is gooing to be successfull!!!!!!!

Seriously a league with scabs isn't happening. Why don't media get this? :lol

Whats up with Al Stratchan, he can't seriously belive himself what he is writing... :teach:
What are you afraid of? I'll tell you what you're afraid of. You're afraid that the NHL with replacement players might work. Because you know damn well that a majority of hockey fans are behing the owners. So it doesn't matter who is playing, Come next October it will be GAME ON. And I predict that the attendance will be around 50% to 75% full capacity. It's the only way this thing will get settle one way or the other.

Hoss

Feb 21, 2005
hubofhockey said:
In the interest of accuracy, isn't it about time we referred to NHL players now employed overseas as, Displacement Players?

kpd/hoh

Bravo. I think some of the owners are stunned how much work is out there and were a little too optimistic on starving out the players.

Tinordi24*

OTTSENS said:
What are you afraid of? I'll tell you what you're afraid of. You're afraid that the NHL with replacement players might work. Because you know damn well that a majority of hockey fans are behing the owners. So it doesn't matter who is playing, Come next October it will be GAME ON. And I predict that the attendance will be around 50% to 75% full capacity. It's the only way this thing will get settle one way or the other.

So true!

People come out to watch teams play not individual players. People like Wetcoaster will tell you otherwise but there will be no huge drop in attendance. Take that to the bank.

Replacements have a way of CRUSHING unions. The only hope the NHLPA has is by not allowing them or otherwise impeding them.

Besides if replacements do start to play the floodgates will open and tons of NHLers will start flowing through them.

You have to be a SERIOUS NHLPA JIHADIST to think otherwise!

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
MarkTinordi24 said:
So true!

People come out to watch teams play not individual players. People like Wetcoaster will tell you otherwise but there will be no huge drop in attendance. Take that to the bank.

Replacements have a way of CRUSHING unions. The only hope the NHLPA has is by not allowing them or otherwise impeding them.

Besides if replacements do start to play the floodgates will open and tons of NHLers will start flowing through them.

You have to be a SERIOUS NHLPA JIHADIST to think otherwise!

The best part of this scenerio (if it happens) the fans finally have a say in all of this mess...one way or another you money will speak volumes!!!

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
OTTSENS said:

Maybe where you live the majority of fans are behind the owners, but down here its another story. 50-75% attendance and you would consider that successful? You must have attended the NHL School of Business Management. If Edmonton can't keep a float with almost 100% attendance how are they going to keep afloat with 50%? If Phoenix can't fill a new arena with NHL stars how do they stand a chance with a bunch of NHL wannabe's?

This league will never work with replacements. No corporate sponsorship. No season ticket holders paying the big bucks and dumping their money into merchandise, etc. It's a joke.

Replacements have a way of CRUSHING unions.

Please name one union replacement players have crushed? MLB? Nope. NFL? Nope.

People come out to watch teams play not individual players.
True, but why would I pay top dollar to watch NHL replacement players when I can pay $34 to sit on the glass at a junior level junior and see the same level of play.

Last edited:

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
ceber said:
I swear I remember reading something about someone in Montreal government saying that the law restricting replacements had specific wording exempting professional sports teams. I can't find it now, unfortunately.

Seems like the law is rarely black and white, especially when it comes to business. I wouldn't be surprised at all if some very smart lawyers believe there are few barriers to replacement players in all 30 markets. They still might be wrong, though.

I don't think so. MLB couldn't figure out a way for the Expos and Blue Jays to play in Canada with replacement players 10 years ago. So I really don't think there's a univeral exemption from law just because you happen to be a sports team.

Ontario's laws on replacement workers has changed since then, but it's on the agenda to re-introduce a ban on scab workers.

I'm sure there are some lawyers out there who think it will work in all 30 markets with scabs of any nationality. But they have to convince labor boards and governments, not just Nashville's owner.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Smail said:
No... it's impossible, ask Wetcoaster. ;)

Heh. Was thinking that myself. :lol

Wetcoaster has some good info, but he's just so "black only" (as opposed to seeing everything in black & white). For example, he quotes Avirom who says "There are a lot of complicated regulations and there are always visa issues" in regards to replacements.

To me, I read that and see that it will be a complicated matter getting replacement players up and running, and there will be issues with getting visas. Insurmountable issues? He doesn't say that at all.

Wetcoaster reads that and says "Nope. It cannot happen".

There's just no acknowledgement whatsoever that issues can be worked around, and that the law isn't as black and white as he likes to portray.

Tinordi24*

Icey said:
Maybe where you live the majority of fans are behind the owners, but down here its another story. 50-75% attendance and you would consider that successful? You must have attended the NHL School of Business Management. If Edmonton can't keep a float with almost 100% attendance how are they going to keep afloat with 50%? If Phoenix can't fill a new arena with NHL stars how do they stand a chance with a bunch of NHL wannabe's?

This league will never work with replacements. No corporate sponsorship. No season ticket holders paying the big bucks and dumping their money into merchandise, etc. It's a joke.

Please name one union replacement players have crushed? MLB? Nope. NFL? Nope.

Lets assume 75% attendance!!! Lets also assume you give replacement players 50% of the salaries NHL players would otherwise have (HUGE ASSUMPTION HERE AS most would get a fraction of the 1.8 mil average!!)....To me you'd cut costs tremendously since player salaries are about 75% of revenues. Edmonton would come out shining!

I consider the NFL situation as CRUSHING the union....but thats besides the point...let me put it another way ...

If replacement players are brought in then I guarantee you players will cross the line and all it takes is guys like NHL versions of Howie Long and Joe Montana to do so and their teammates will follow suit.

Besides I feel the NHLPA is already CRUSHED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->