Leigh Montville: Do Boston Sports Teams Win Too Much?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
No.

Its just an outlier that none of the teams have sucked for more than a year for at least a decade while a couple have always contended.

Now...this years Red Sox team should finish 10 games over .500 with a lineup of everyone posting career highs or close to it. Since we win so much people will act like that equals sucking even though it has more to do with the AL actually having a good 3 teams after the division winners. Which is a huge fluke I can't remember the last time there were this many good teams in the AL there are usually 3-4 not 7 (including us.)

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I dont give a hoot about the Sox or the Celtics, could stand for the Bruins to blow less chances to be in the same company as the pats
THIS^^^ I like when those two win BUT a Bruins Stanley Cup win is the epitome, the zenith of sports nirvana for me. I never lose any sleep when the Sox or Celts lose though. The Pats remind me of how it was with the Bruins and Bobby Orr etc from '66-'76. I just hope that the Pats can keep it up after Brady and Belichek are gone, but I doubt it. If things had gone right, the Bruins of that era should've had 2-3 more Cups and Bobby Orr would've had a 20 year career with a final Stanley Cup tally of at least 5. The Gods were truly unfair to the greatest NHL player of all time.

Serge

Mar 13, 2006
Massachusetts
Isn't this the same guy that wrote "welcome to losertown," in reference to Boston back around 2003? It was in SI I think. He also wrote a piece about the futility of the Bs trying to beat the Habs in the playoffs pre 1988.

Now this his angle?

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
Winning is all that matters; why else keep the damn score! They pay someone to keep it in pro sports!!

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I don't think he talked much about this aspect of the "too much winning" but I do think that all the championships have made those that they didn't win much easier to take.

I was honestly still angry about 1986, well into the early 90's -- maybe beyond.

Even last season's cup loss....the sting isn't quite what it was for me in 1988 and 90. Maybe it's simply age/maturity. Maybe it's the fact that my kids and I enjoyed the 2011 season so much together and now they're not around as much, which made that one easier to take, but there definitely is a different feeling surrounding what would have been devastating losses years ago, compared to now.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Isn't this the same guy that wrote "welcome to losertown," in reference to Boston back around 2003? It was in SI I think. He also wrote a piece about the futility of the Bs trying to beat the Habs in the playoffs pre 1988.

Now this his angle?

That was then.

This is now.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Boston has had a great two decades. Only the Celtics really did consistent winning before that...Bruins had some moments...But no, they don't win enough because the bruins have only won one in 48 years, 3 in 50.

Reactions: sarge88

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
No, but I do understand the logic. The high I felt in 2004 in compared to 2018 with the Red Sox -- there's no comparison.

Still wouldn't want to give up the wins in 2007, 2013 & 2018 to feel that high again though -- in say 2054 or so.

Reactions: sarge88

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I dont give a hoot about the Sox or the Celtics, could stand for the Bruins to blow less chances to be in the same company as the pats
Hey @Prince Pasta - today's Wednesday! You what that means!

I'm kind with you. I care a little bit about the Sox, but mainly about the Bruins and the Pats. I don't believe it would be possible to care less about any basketball team.

As for winning too much - NOT POSSIBLE!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->