Leicester City: The Movie?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Any shot they make a movie on this if they actually win BPL? I remember watching a game in late February I believe and I heard the announcers say that at that game were some investors looking to see if they were worthy of a movie. I guess if you want to equate it to something its like watching a season worth of a Cinderella college basketball team winning the national title but instead of a best of 1 for a few games its a whole season. I mean on any given day a team can win or lose. We are talking a season here though where they have a dirt cheap roster financially. Heck I'm sure the big guns have one guy that makes more than the whole team of Leicester. Another comparison would be a AAA minor league team being promoted to the top pro level and winning the championship.

They also have Thai monks on their side. :laugh:

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Kante, Mahrez and Vardy in the movie

Che61VwWUAA1RnH.jpg

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
The rock-Vardy
Brad Pitt-Marhez
Will Smith-Kante
Arnold-Ranieri

LOL jk

seriously though if Hollywood would ever make a movie of this. It will probably be awful with a lot of scenes with the hot wives and girlfriends these guys have. I am sure in a couple years we will have one. I even bet 50years from now we will have 3-5 movies and a tv show base on this.

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
Needs to cast Dwayne The Rock Johnson as Wes Morgan.

didn't see this before my post. Just saying if we are serious about the rock being a role in this movie. He would have to be Huth.

Although knowing how much USA cares about "soccer." It wouldn't surprise me if they played a colored man as a white guy. Imagine having to explain to our kids that Wes Morgan wasn't white lol.

Btw hopefully I didn't break any rules on commenting on race. :)

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The rock-Vardy
Brad Pitt-Marhez
Will Smith-Kante
Arnold-Ranieri

LOL jk

seriously though if Hollywood would ever make a movie of this. It will probably be awful with a lot of scenes with the hot wives and girlfriends these guys have. I am sure in a couple years we will have one. I even bet 50years from now we will have 3-5 movies and a tv show base on this.

I'm sure England or somewhere in Europe they will make something. A documentary series would be cool, like an HBO like thing.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
They will. It needs to be done in the style of Moneyball.

But wasn't the point of money ball we will take a bunch of average players for cheap that fit on stats? Isn't Leicester City different and soccer in general that they have to pick what they can get because of money? I mean can't guys actually go elsewhere while still under contract with a team without being "traded" as we would call it in north american pro sports? I guess you could call it poaching. They will never willingly get a guy like Suarez or Messi among others, intact they are likely to lose a guy like Hardy mid season, no?

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
But wasn't the point of money ball we will take a bunch of average players for cheap that fit on stats? Isn't Leicester City different and soccer in general that they have to pick what they can get because of money? I mean can't guys actually go elsewhere while still under contract with a team without being "traded" as we would call it in north american pro sports? I guess you could call it poaching. They will never willingly get a guy like Suarez or Messi among others, intact they are likely to lose a guy like Hardy mid season, no?

If a player has a buy out clause in his contract then yes. As long as another team is willing to pay that fee there is nothing the current team can do. Without a buy out clause however the current team need to accept the offer.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Congrats to Leicester on this amazing achievement. EPL seems to be doing things right even though they're responsible of ridiculously inflating the market, but that's what a successful league does.

Anyhow, there was maybe an even more impressive achievement in 97-98 when Kaiserslautern won the Bundesliga after just being promoted.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

As mentioned, teams aren't forced to sell a player unless that players has a release/buyout clause and the offering team meets it. Generally speaking, those clauses are higher than the true value of the player and would basically force an overpayment.

I've heard that Vardy has a release fee of 30 million pounds (roughly 38M euro, 44M USD) but I haven't seen if many of the others do.

Either way, the concept of moneyball isn't crazy given how much less Leicester have spent than the big teams.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/fuenfjahresvergleich/wettbewerb/GB1

That's a 5 year look at the current EPL teams.

Over the last 5 years Leicester has spent a total of 81.36M to bring in players (net in vs out). Chelsea, City, Arsenal and United all have single years above that total. Liverpool doesn't have a single year above that, but still has a 5 year total of 215M

Only Tottenam has been able to maintain a consistent high finish while not spending a ton of money, and they've basically been locked in 4th-6th *and* that's helped by the fact that they sold Bale for 100M

If you look at transfer effectivity, which is cost of current players / wins, Leicester is first by a long shot: http://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/transfereffektivitaet/wettbewerb/GB1

Granted that's not an ideal metric, but it gives you the idea that the moneyball idea (finding great value) isn't too far off.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
didn't see this before my post. Just saying if we are serious about the rock being a role in this movie. He would have to be Huth.

Although knowing how much USA cares about "soccer." It wouldn't surprise me if they played a colored man as a white guy. Imagine having to explain to our kids that Wes Morgan wasn't white lol.

Btw hopefully I didn't break any rules on commenting on race. :)

Wasn't serious, but if a movie does happen, I presume it will have an all English cast or something.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Congrats to Leicester on this amazing achievement. EPL seems to be doing things right even though they're responsible of ridiculously inflating the market, but that's what a successful league does.

Anyhow, there was maybe an even more impressive achievement in 97-98 when Kaiserslautern won the Bundesliga after just being promoted.
Leicester feels more like a miracle, since the leagues have become seemingly boring and predictable due to the huge CL monies. Before Kaiserslautern had been a Bundesliga regular for decades, was champion in 1991 and won the cup in the relegation year 1996. They also had Rehagel as coach, who make the impossible happen - see Greece 2004! None of this applies to Leicester and Ranieri.

If they really make a movie which includes the wives and girlfriends, please let it be an European one. In some cases nudity does have a meaning!

Gruß,
BSHH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad