Lehtonen vs Rask

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
I haven't seen Rask play, but I have heard some mixed reviews of him. A great tourney here, a mediocre showing there...

It's early yet. I think we need need more time to get any sort of projection on the kid's talent level.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
I may not be the best one assess, but I have seen some of his games this season, so I'll base this on them. I'd say, that comparing the two isn't very fair to Rask, 'cause Lehtonen was already like a man when he was 17. Tuukka on the other hand isn't even close to what he'll be physically. He can't compete on the same level as Lehtonen at that age due to this. He just can't keep his level of performance, 'cos his endurance isn't really that great yet.

Lehtonen was also stronger mentally when he was 17. He has achievements to prove me. Tuukka on the other hand sometimes looks a bit down after an easy goal, but he usually bounces back fairly quickly.

Some may disagree with me on this, but in my opinion Rask has better reflexes, than Lehtonen did at his age. On the other hand, Lehtonen had a much better technique, which is why he didn't give that many rebounds.

Overall, Lehtonen was better at 17, but Tuukka does have the tools to become almost as good IMO. :dunce:

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
There's no valid comparison for Lehtonen in terms of both style and development curve in the history of European hockey. A comparison between Rask and Mika Noronen is relatively very accurate, which however is not a genuine cause for concern since no one can really say why Noronen hasn't become a bonafide NHL starter.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Well that's easy. He hasn't gotten a real chance to take over a starters position in Buffalo. Dunno if should have been given a chance, but that's another matter.

Chuckalinsky

May 1, 2004
So the concesus would be that Lehtonen dominated at the age of 17 while Rask is just a highly touted prospect. But if I remember correctly, it was the WJC's that boosted Lehtonen's stock exponentially. So we'll see how Rask performs.

X-SHARKIE

Nothing against Rask, but he doesn't compare to Lehtonen, but how many goalies do?

I wasn't around when Patrick Roy was a hot 18 year old goaltender so I can't speak of him, but Kari Lehtonen is the best goalie i've seen at his age in my life time. Honestly.

I remember the first time I saw him at the World Juniors and I was amazed, I couldn't believe this goalie was so young and so good, and then I saw his numbers playing vs grown men and he was dominating them.

I have seen him about a dozen times over the past year and a half, a couple of games with Atlanta and about 9 games or so in Chicago and Milwaukee.

This guy makes goaltending fun to watch more then any other i've seen. I can't get over how such a big goaltender can also be so quick, this guy is one of the fastest goalies i've seen, he's also extremely athletic. He makes saves he has no business making. Sorry for drooling over him, but being a goaltender my self, then watching this guy play boggles my mind.

Tuukka Rask doesn't compare to Kari Lehtonen ....but that's no shot at Rask. Rask is still devoloping though, and mabey when it's all said and done the two well be closer then they are at this stage?

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Lehtonen is a once in every 5 years type of netminder, I haven't seen anyone like him in a long time. Rask, though I haven't seen much of him, from what I heard, is just an extremely talented goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad