Value of: Lehtonen retained

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
EDIT: I can see this thread getting derailed pretty quickly. lets assume Dallas has a quality offer on the able to bring in Bishop, but they wanna move Lehtonen first. who takes him and at what cost?

I wouldnt mind [email protected] and [email protected] for [email protected] and [email protected](LTIR when season starts). Leafs get a guy that can play 30 or so games and a bottom 6 upgrade while the stars clear 4.3million on the cap

Last edited:

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
If the stars take on Bishop for just Nichushkin and a pick, that will be like 16 million just in goalies. They cannot afford to retain on lehtonen if bishop is coming in. Unless they trade him for just picks, which I don't think any team would do

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I just can't see Jim Nill eating 1/2 of Lehtonen's contract that's almost $3 million plus take on Bishop's contract that's nearly $6 million as well. Most teams are pretty much set on their Goaltending needs it will be hard to move either one of Lehtonen/Niemi i would think.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I just can't see Jim Nill eating 1/2 of Lehtonen's contract that's almost $3 million plus take on Bishop's contract that's nearly $6 million as well. Most teams are pretty much set on their Goaltending needs it will be hard to move either one of Lehtonen/Niemi i would think.

And of the very few teams that may need a goalie, they would definitely pursue bishop or fleury before lehtonen. Better off just buying him out

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I am pretty sure that the Stars are a better team with Nischuskin + MAF than with just Bishop.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
And of the very few teams that may need a goalie, they would definitely pursue bishop or fleury before lehtonen. Better off just buying him out

Yup this is pretty much my thinking as well, Would rather go with MAF or Bishop over Lehtonon any day. Could see Lehtonon as a buy out candidate next summer because Vegas surely wont draft him.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
If the stars take on Bishop for just Nichushkin and a pick, that will be like 16 million just in goalies. They cannot afford to retain on lehtonen if bishop is coming in. Unless they trade him for just picks, which I don't think any team would do

basically the reason i suggested the leafs deal. do you really think they pass up the massive upgrade of Lehtonon to Bishop over having to retain some of Lehtonen?

arguably the worst starting tandem in the league to top 5 for Nich, a pick and 2-2.9 extra salary probably makes them the favorite in the west

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I just asked this in the Stars/Bishop thread, but what currently non-contending team has the cap space to take on kari or Anti, wanting to gain a future prospect? That is the profile we are looking for. It will cost Nill, no doubt.

TOR? AZ? NJ? CAR? Some dark horse? Some GM Nill has pictures of?

Bishop will be expensive in assets and cash. Whether retainage to TB or more prospects to TB or TB and another team to take a goalie, we are paying more than Stars fans are used to paying.

But, is Bishop not the Tyler Seguin of goalies? A blockbuster trade that is almost never available? I think Nill has learned his lesson on going after second choices, which MAF would be. It's Bishop or bust, IMHO>

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
basically the reason i suggested the leafs deal. do you really think they pass up the massive upgrade of Lehtonon to Bishop over having to retain some of Lehtonen?

arguably the worst starting tandem in the league to top 5 for Nich, a pick and 2-2.9 extra salary probably makes them the favorite in the west

They probably would, but can they afford it? Bishop for 6 mill, niemi for 4.5, lehtonen at 3 million. 13.5 in cap for goalies? And no Nichuskin upfront? That's why unless lehtonen or niemi are traded full price for bishop, they won't be able to swing it and will have to wait until they can buy out one of them next year. They should have done it this year I think they made a mistake.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
As a pens fan, and I'm probably alone on this one, but I would take lehtonen full price and take the big + Dallas would have to add. Fleury+rust+2nd for Lehtonen+Nichushkin+1st. He can back up Murray all year cause he's only making 600K so that's only 6.5ish in goalies for us which isn't bad. And that puts Dallas around 9.5 instead of 13.5 which is good

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I wouldnt mind [email protected] and [email protected] for [email protected] and [email protected](LTIR when season starts). Leafs get a guy that can play 30 or so games and a bottom 6 upgrade while the stars clear 4.3million on the cap

What are the Leafs getting out of that deal? They have Andersen at $5m for 5 years already. Is a $2.95m backup necessary? For what? A year of Hemsky? It seems like that trade is helping the Stars out of the goodness of your heart. You would be doing Dallas a huge favor taking either goalie at any price. You need to squeeze a little more than a soon to be 33 year old Hemsky out of them. Robidas and Greening are both UFA's next summer. You're not even getting rid of a bad contract.

If any GM takes either Dallas goalie before the season starts, they need to make Dallas earn it. Anything could happen, but what team needs either Dallas goalie right now?

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
EDIT: I can see this thread getting derailed pretty quickly. lets assume Dallas has a quality offer on the able to bring in Bishop, but they wanna move Lehtonen first. who takes him and at what cost?

The deal would need a bit of work. Taking on Lehtonen, even at 50%, requires and asset or two similar to the Laich deal. Hemsky is obviously a huge upgrade over Greening but it isn't what we want and definitely not what we need. I'm thinking it get this done we would need something like:

Lehtonen (50% retained), Honka, conditional 2018 2nd

For

Greening, Holland

The conditional pick being if Lehtonen is claimed by Vegas, we get NOTHING. So Toronto gets Honka for a year of Lehtonen, Holland, and Greening. If we are stuck with him the next year (which since Sparks is waiver eligible in 2018 it hurts us) we get a 2nd in 2018 as compensation.

Very similar to the Laich deal expect it is much worse for us as we may eat that cap for two years where we got some relief sending Washinton Winnik.

If Honka is off limits or is included in the Bishop deal then we will take a lottery protected 2017 1st.

Because of this Dallas should pass though unless they REALLY need to make this move.

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
As a pens fan, and I'm probably alone on this one, but I would take lehtonen full price and take the big + Dallas would have to add. Fleury+rust+2nd for Lehtonen+Nichushkin+1st. He can back up Murray all year cause he's only making 600K so that's only 6.5ish in goalies for us which isn't bad. And that puts Dallas around 9.5 instead of 13.5 which is good

If that is offered they should take it. The 1st covers the cost to take on Lehtonen and Nichuskin for Fleury++ is awesome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->