Value of: Lehner to Toronto?

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
It’s probably nothing but The Golden Knights have brought up Logan Thompson for the taxi squad.
Src :Vegas Golden Knights Announce Roster Transactions
This doesn’t necessarily mean that Lehner is available but with Fleury performing at the level he is, does this mean that Lehner maybe available?

The Leafs on the other hand have been without Andersen for a few games due to “Personal issues” and Campbell has been injured which means that Hutchinson is currently playing in the starting position. With Andersen currently set to expire and underperforming, perhaps a deal could be made? Keep in mind the Leafs would have to send back assets with cap attached to make the deal work.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
It’s probably nothing but The Golden Knights have brought up Logan Thompson for the taxi squad.
This doesn’t necessarily mean that Lehner is available but with Fleury performing at the level he is, does this mean that Lehner maybe available?

The Leafs on the other hand have been without Andersen for a few games due to “Personal issues” and Campbell has been injured which means that Hutchinson is currently playing in the starting position. With Andersen currently set to expire and underperforming, perhaps a deal could be made? Keep in mind the Leafs would have to send back assets with cap attached to make the deal work.
By 'personal issues', are you referring to his injury?

He's injured. It's been reported that both Andersen and Campbell will be back next week. Hutchinson has also played more than good these past two games that he's had to play.

Reactions: bradp75

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

The minor goalie moves are because Lehner is out with injury. Nothing to see there, no chance of a trade.

Reactions: banks

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
He's had a down year so it could be cheaper for the Leafs to get him at the moment. Nonetheless, he's a 5 million dollar goalie and Toronto will have to send salary back, while also enticing Vegas to move one half of their real good goalie tandem

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
It looks like I somehow missed that Andersen was just nursing a minor injury. I was assuming this wasn’t the case and was basing my post on some information from commentators on giving Andersen the night off. Ideally Andersen and Campbell are back soon and yes, Hutch has been playing like an NHL quality goalie and hasn’t been a hindrance.

I still wonder if Lehner is available but a deal would be better served in the summer given the information above.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
As a Sabres fan, I would toss Tage Thompson into the pot to help get Lehner to Toronto.

Lehner is good. He’s always been good. He was left out to dry in Buffalo behind a terrible team and management misidentified him as a problem.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
He's had a down year so it could be cheaper for the Leafs to get him at the moment. Nonetheless, he's a 5 million dollar goalie and Toronto will have to send salary back, while also enticing Vegas to move one half of their real good goalie tandem

Why would you think IF Vegas wanted to unload Lehner, which they don't, they would want to take salary back? The singular reason Vegas would trade Lehner, which they won't, is cap relief.

Lehner had shoulder surgery. He's clearly not 100% since coming off that. If Vegas trades Lehner, it will be in the off-season after he's shown the inability to come back 100%.

And the hung out to dry comment is spot on. Fleury can rescue a team's defense from itself, Lehner not so much, even at 100%.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Why would you think IF Vegas wanted to unload Lehner, which they don't, they would want to take salary back? The singular reason Vegas would trade Lehner, which they won't, is cap relief.

Lehner had shoulder surgery. He's clearly not 100% since coming off that. If Vegas trades Lehner, it will be in the off-season after he's shown the inability to come back 100%.

And the hung out to dry comment is spot on. Fleury can rescue a team's defense from itself, Lehner not so much, even at 100%.
Toronto would need to send salary to make his money fit their cap, that's what I meant by that.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Toronto would need to send salary to make his money fit their cap, that's what I meant by that.

My point is that under any circumstance, this would make such a deal a non-starter for Vegas unless there were a three-way with someone who wanted a Leafs player and was willing to put up a good prospect or pick. That's IF Vegas even entertained the idea of trading.

ETA: And remember that quarantine would leave Panda unavailable for a good chunk of a short season. Though it doesn't look like you need him to make the playoffs.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Lehner is good. He’s always been good. He was left out to dry in Buffalo behind a terrible team and management misidentified him as a problem.

No, he was absolutely a problem in Buffalo. He might not be now that he's gotten his substance abuse/mental health issues under control, but anyone who thinks he wasn't playing like ass for the Sabres clearly wasn't watching. I don't think he made a single save in a shootout while he was here.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
No, he was absolutely a problem in Buffalo. He might not be now that he's gotten his substance abuse/mental health issues under control, but anyone who thinks he wasn't playing like ass for the Sabres clearly wasn't watching. I don't think he made a single save in a shootout while he was here.

Lehner sucks at shootouts but thats not hockey, he is great against breakaways. He averaged a 91.7 save percentage on a bottom feeder team with no talent he wasn't perfect for sure, but he wasn't a problem.

Reactions: inthewings

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
My point is that under any circumstance, this would make such a deal a non-starter for Vegas unless there were a three-way with someone who wanted a Leafs player and was willing to put up a good prospect or pick. That's IF Vegas even entertained the idea of trading.

ETA: And remember that quarantine would leave Panda unavailable for a good chunk of a short season. Though it doesn't look like you need him to make the playoffs.
I think we're coming at this from the same POV, just using different words. I agree, the money would be very difficult to make work, so talks would likely be dead from the get-go.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Lehner sucks at shootouts but thats not hockey, he is great against breakaways. He averaged a 91.7 save percentage on a bottom feeder team with no talent he wasn't perfect for sure, but he wasn't a problem.

He was .916 over his time with Buffalo, but he posted a .908 in his last season with a negative GSAA. Also, I don't think the standings care whether you think shootouts are a gimmick--they still count for real points.

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
Maybe in the off season if the leafs decide to move on from Freddie but in season trade i don't see it happen, just have to ride out the injury bug for now

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005

Sure, he was bad at shootouts. But he had a 0.916 save% behind a terrible team in his time in Buffalo. You reach a point where it becomes absurd to suggest a guy isn't doing his job, and a 0.916 save% is probably past that point.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
nah, the leafs arent taking on Lehner and his contract with the way he has played this season.
If Andersen is ruled out for the year maybe they go for a goalie but yeah this makes no sense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad