Lehner Struggling in December

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
It's about setting guys up for success. You don't put a rookie defenseman out against a Crosby or Ovechkin, for example. With a goalie it's even more important as an error leads to a puck int he net.

I just don't want to burn down the kid.
I'm hoping that Ceci and another addition can stabilize the D enough that we aren't giving up 20+ high quality shots per game. That's the key, lowering the number of quality shots and giving our goalies a reasonable chance at success.

Then I'd have no problems giving Lehner most of the starts.

I remember seeing a Patrick Roy facing upwards of 50 shots per game and having a GAA of between 5 and 6 goals per game in the QMJHL. Look how that turned out....

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I remember seeing a Patrick Roy facing upwards of 50 shots per game and having a GAA of between 5 and 6 goals per game in the QMJHL. Look how that turned out....

Yes, but the juniors are different.

It's just that, we've waited over 20 years for a franchise goalie. I'd rather be overly cautious to protect him over doing something potentially stupid and hurting his potential.

It's also really scary the past 10 years or so to see just how inconsistent a lot of the young netminders in the league have been. Guys will come in, have a good year or two, then regress for a couple years before coming back. With all the video and teams dissecting goalies so easily, it's harder and harder for them to really get to the top and stay there.

I know it sounds like I'm being a mother hen here (and yes, I admit it), but man, the thought of having our own Lundqvist or Roy....I mean, wow! I just don't want the team to make the wrong decisions with him and ruin it.

WhiteLight*

Yes, but the juniors are different.

It's just that, we've waited over 20 years for a franchise goalie. I'd rather be overly cautious to protect him over doing something potentially stupid and hurting his potential.

It's also really scary the past 10 years or so to see just how inconsistent a lot of the young netminders in the league have been. Guys will come in, have a good year or two, then regress for a couple years before coming back. With all the video and teams dissecting goalies so easily, it's harder and harder for them to really get to the top and stay there.

I know it sounds like I'm being a mother hen here (and yes, I admit it), but man, the thought of having our own Lundqvist or Roy....I mean, wow! I just don't want the team to make the wrong decisions with him and ruin it.

You can this about any goaltender except Lundqvist. It's not just the young ones. All of them have off years.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I wish we still had Bishop. :(

Bishop might be better than Lehner, but not by a wide margin. It's also still very early in both their careers, and the book on them has not yet been written.

Look at it this way. It doesn't matter which goalie they have. Unless they get time traveling Dominik Hasek in his prime, looking to make good for that groin injury, any goalie they put behind the current team is going to risk looking average.

Not that Anderson is lighting the world on fire, but goalies aren't the issue.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Everyone wanted to hand him the starting job on a silver platter when there were other goalies in the system who deserved a shot and would have been good fillers for the time being. Too much hype, too early, and basically he's become trade bait.

Trade bait? Name another goalie in the system? Murray assessed Bishop and Lehner and found Lehner to be the go to for the future. I do not blame MacLean for much regarding how this team is playing, but I do feel he was stupid not to t roll with Lehner when he had a 3 game win streak going. I believe Lehner is the only goalie of the two that has a win streak of 3 this season. Get the team going, get their confidence going and then put Anderson back in... rather than pull a hot goalie and put in a goalie coming from injury.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Bishop might be better than Lehner, but not by a wide margin. It's also still very early in both their careers, and the book on them has not yet been written.

Look at it this way. It doesn't matter which goalie they have. Unless they get time traveling Dominik Hasek in his prime, looking to make good for that groin injury, any goalie they put behind the current team is going to risk looking average.

Not that Anderson is lighting the world on fire, but goalies aren't the issue.

There is no comparison between the two... Bishop should be way way better than Lehner based on their age difference and amount of pro experience, but the reality is, that is not the case. The chances on Lehner seem to be a lot of quality. He lets in some softies, but not near as many as Anderson. We need our team to learn how to play defensively and clear the damn puck. Ceci is helping a lot with that... but Spezza turning it over at our blue line on a PK clear is not going to win us many games. He is a 30 year old pro and needs to start playing like one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad