Lehner/Greiss now 1st and 2nd in both GA and Sv%

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Just unreal after the team gave up the most goals in the past 20 years last season. Credit Trotz and Korn and the team's commitment to D. But if you watched these games (especially the past 25) these two have been beyond stellar and they've earned their numbers.

If they get the Jennings, which is very likely, it'll be the first time the Isles will have it since 1982-83.

whenever I see these kinds of stats I go to the stat page and see some reason for discussion on the subject. For minutes played this year, We are in a 31 team league and 21 goalies have played more minutes than lehner and 30 more than Griess. So A case can be made that they are splitting the starting role cause neither can handle the starting role. Griess has played 1639 minutes this year and Lehner 1787. Top minute players for goalies? MAF with 3031. DD(wild) 2695, Markstrom 2068, Hellebuyk 2656, and Price 2565. Then lets talk about actual saves/Shots. Lehner 806/868 (27th in the league) and Griess 793/853 (30th) Leaders in save? Helleybuck 1315/1443, Gibson 1311/1434, MAF 1303/1435. Props go to the NYI D and not the G. They have facead 1/2 the rubber the top guys have

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Great job by both goalies but i have to say playing for the Isles right now is the dream for any goalie. I've literally never seen the team play this well defensively. It feels weird looking at nights matchups, seeing an Islander game and thinking "i wonder if team x can score against them".

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
It's real easy to win games when your goalies basically allow 2 or less every game.

My Bruins have had some solid goaltending this year as well, it really does make a world of difference as opposed to when your goalies are having a rough year.

Great job by Lehner and Greiss

My Flyers have had rock solid netminding for a month now and suddenly we're winning games. Almost like they're linked.

Gobben

Jan 22, 2019
Their ability to communicate is what makes it possible.

Der Greiss rief sein Kinder und sprach, and, Grisen rev sina kinder och sprack.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Credit to the goalies first, Lehner straightened out his off ice troubles and Greiss.. last year was actually an outlier. He didn’t have his normal goalie coach and apparently there were rumors of a Nikon accident. He went back to him this past offseason to get his game back and he did.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
It's unsustainable and both of their PDO's are way too high. They'll be extremely lucky if either goalie even sniffs the playoffs. All indications and advanced stats say they should both fall below .900 sv % very shortly. Please stop with this nonsense, they are both below average goaltenders. They will both be at the bottom of the league towards the end of the season......GUARANTEED!

Isles miss the playoffs I choose your avatar until the draft. They make the playoffs I choose yours. Deal?

edit: somebody beat me to the challenge lol I've been trying all season for somebody to bite too lol.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
whenever I see these kinds of stats I go to the stat page and see some reason for discussion on the subject. For minutes played this year, We are in a 31 team league and 21 goalies have played more minutes than lehner and 30 more than Griess. So A case can be made that they are splitting the starting role cause neither can handle the starting role. Griess has played 1639 minutes this year and Lehner 1787. Top minute players for goalies? MAF with 3031. DD(wild) 2695, Markstrom 2068, Hellebuyk 2656, and Price 2565. Then lets talk about actual saves/Shots. Lehner 806/868 (27th in the league) and Griess 793/853 (30th) Leaders in save? Helleybuck 1315/1443, Gibson 1311/1434, MAF 1303/1435. Props go to the NYI D and not the G. They have facead 1/2 the rubber the top guys have

But you haven't watched them play goalie. You just post stats and credit the defense. The defense is a big factor indeed but both netminders have been excellent this year. Both certainly benefit from Trotz trap like system but
the numbers don't lie.

Reactions: CodeE

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
It's unsustainable and both of their PDO's are way too high. They'll be extremely lucky if either goalie even sniffs the playoffs. All indications and advanced stats say they should both fall below .900 sv % very shortly. Please stop with this nonsense, they are both below average goaltenders. They will both be at the bottom of the league towards the end of the season......GUARANTEED!
Nothing to do with Trotz this year, obviously. Greiss just morphed from awful to amazing with no outside influence. His crappiness last year had nothing to do with Doug Weight.

In other news Halak has gone from .908 to .921 in an improvement that has absolutely nothing to do with escaping from Doug Weight.

Greiss in his first year with Islanders was great and two seasons ago as well. Holtby with Trotz last year was average to below average until the playoffs.
I say Greiss was bad more because of Doug Weights offensive system. However Greiss last year was just plain awful in every aspect. Halak was the Isles better goalie and he too was below average. So Greiss and his hard work this offseason deserves the credit as much as playing in a Trotz system. Still doesn't explain Holtby's play during the regular season. Grubauer was better in Washington than Colorado but faulters in the playoffs.
Maybe Trotz system in DC wasn't so heavy defensive reliable as in NY.
And Lehner looks like a different goalie playing for Trotz.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Greiss has been really solid for the Islanders outside of the Doug Weight-era. It’s not like he was always a below average goaltender and is now suddenly playing amazing this season.

Lehner’s always had potential, but was obviously fighting some demons mentally in the past, which held him back. He’s sought out treatment for that, and it has helped him play to his potential.

Is Trotz’ system inflating the numbers of both goaltenders? Yes, but not entirely. These two guys are still solid goaltenders and Trotz is doing exactly what he was brought in to do; elevate the play of his players and create a strong system that is tough to play against.

They may not finish the season as the top goalies statistically, but they have been the backbone of a stingy Islanders team. Lamoriello’s been excellent is establishing an identity for this team and the moves he made this offseason (coaching & personnel) cultivated a full buy-in from the organization top-down, something Garth Snow and his cronies failed to do.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

You talk as though the Islanders are the first team in the history of hockey to try a 1A/1B situation instead of a defined Starter/Backup.

Like any team can try this wacky, out-of-the-box strategy and easily see their own two goalies lead the league in GAA and SV%.

Reactions: Newsworthy

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
The Isles are definitely proving me wrong and Lehner/Greiss and Trotz are huge reasons. Obviously the entire team buying into the system helps as well. Props to them.

I missed my fantasy draft this year and auto-drafted them both. Thought I was totally screwed but nope, lol.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
I recall quotes from Lehner back in Oct/Nov where he was admittedly struggling and mentioned that Korn/Greco have completely changed his style and that it's taking time for him to learn how they want him to play (to not over-react and stop moving so much) and adjust. I believe he did also mention that he was fully invested in what they were saying and that it'll take time.

One month later (mid-December), he started to go on a tear. Same with Greiss. That, along with the rest of the team taking the time to adjust to Trotz' system, is why they've been the hottest team in the league since mid-December, going 20-6-3.

That record would be even better if they had a functional power play and more firepower on one of the top two scoring lines. That's really what they're lacking and could hold them back from a deep playoff run. And I'm sure Lou knows and is considering options to address it.

Regardless of if they go deep or not, as an Isles fan and after what the team and fans went through last summer, this season has been a tremendous success.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Nothing to do with Trotz this year, obviously. Greiss just morphed from awful to amazing with no outside influence. His crappiness last year had nothing to do with Doug Weight.

In other news Halak has gone from .908 to .921 in an improvement that has absolutely nothing to do with escaping from Doug Weight.
Halak is one of my top pickups for the season. Pretty much a solid starter who don't really have the traditional stats to show it. Greiss has also been very good like that. Lehner came from nowhere though. His case has previously been the opposite, pretty good traditional stats that look worse when taking context in place.

Trotz is a magician though. To take the league's worst defense and turn it into the league's stingiest is amazing. Not saying that the goaltenders are not playing good, but they are definitely put in a position where they get every chance to succeed.

Some say that Leafs are scary because of our ability to blow games open. Well, Islanders look like a team that can just smother the life out of you.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
In half the minutes of MAF, Greiss only has 2 less shutouts.

Also, isn’t actual shots/save save%? Because 806/868 > 1303/1435.

Also, if you look at shots per minute, Greiss faces .52 shots per minute. MAF faces .47 based on your numbers.

In other words, in a full game Greiss, on average, faces 3 more shots per game than MAF

I’m no statistician but seems like you’re underselling the Isles goalies here

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Halak has never not been a top 5 goalie in the NHL. A .908 behind last year's Isle is actually impressive

Makoshark

Sep 19, 2018
Humboldt County
Awesome to see Lehner killing it after all the shit he went through. A great story about perseverance, redemption and success. I hope he wins the Masterson.

Also great to see Greiss having a successful career as a 1B. Dude has worked his ass off and given absolutely nothing and earned his way to where he is.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Not because neither can handle the starting role - they're handling it perfectly. Who wouldn't want two goalies with the best GA and sv%, evenly splitting games, getting rest for the body and mind...it's a long season. It's obviously working like a charm for them.

Who cares that they faced less rubber? Those teams are more susceptible to wear and tear and an injury.

It's ideal and if one goes down, having two 1A's - no problemo.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland

So which goalie kicked your dog?

Reactions: Instant

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good for both of them. Such a solid duo with the Islanders in net, that whole team is a surprise this year for sure.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Not because neither can handle the starting role - they're handling it perfectly. Who wouldn't want two goalies with the best GA and sv%, evenly splitting games, getting rest for the body and mind...it's a long season. It's obviously working like a charm for them.

Who cares that they faced less rubber? Those teams are more susceptible to wear and tear and an injury.

It's ideal and if one goes down, having two 1A's - no problemo.

Also, not to mention, it's a big reason why the Isles are 9-0-0 on the 2nd half of back-to-backs. Being able to completely trust both goalies and having both goalies constantly warm is huge.

To clarify for this thread, anybody who's looking at games played / shots faced to discredit what they've done is crazy. But, anybody who's looking at those stats to question whether either should get the Vezina has an argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->